No announcement yet.

If you were the...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Casey stays, unless an experienced, top notch name becomes available, and deal/interest is mutual, i.e. Nate McMillan

2. Bargnani goes. Deal him with Ross for possible picks, pieces, but number one priority to acquire in this deal is a power forward, one capable of starting, and an offensive threat down low.

3. Acquire a back-up point guard to Kyle Lowry, or if anything, acquire a better fit at the point guard by dealing Kyle Lowry. Names and players are dependent upon preference. I personally would love a pass-first guard that can defend, but not much variety out there, and not many pass-firsts that can defend.

4. A lock-down wing defender i.e Tony Allen, or a three-point threat i.e Redick, or both i.e. Dunleavy.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
      If I sound like I'm trolling here, I apologize. Dwight Howard just got DQ'ed in what may be his final game as a Laker. Given Lieweke's signing (and LA connection) and the fact that we have parts for a trade (JV being the centerpiece), how would people feel about DH12 coming here? Again, I pose the question because TL is talking championship, not just making the playoffs. Thoughts?
      He might be a better fit here, but I'm ignorant, I absolutely hate Dwight Howard, so no thank you. JV, Derozan, and whatever pieces in my honest opinion are too much to give up, but Rudy/Dwight is intriguing.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

If I sound like I'm trolling here, I apologize. Dwight Howard just got DQ'ed in what may be his final game as a Laker. Given Lieweke's signing (and LA connection) and the fact that we have parts for a trade (JV being the centerpiece), how would people feel about DH12 coming here? Again, I pose the question because TL is talking championship, not just making the playoffs. Thoughts?
        I wouldn't be surprised if he tried...his mentality may be that star players are the fastest way to success.
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

When hearing the interview with Leiweke, he is not going to be hands on in player management and deals himself.

Comment

I never thought of this. With TL on board, this is a very realistic possibility. A trade may not be necessary as Dwight is a FA, unless a sign a trade helps get rid of Bargnani.
            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

no chance were giving up jv for dwight. if the lakers got a new future franchise player out of it i would lose it

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                I never thought of this. With TL on board, this is a very realistic possibility. A trade may not be necessary as Dwight is a FA, unless a sign a trade helps get rid of Bargnani.
                Crazy talk. A trade is necessary because we don't have cap space, let alone enough cap space for a max contract. I really really really don't think Dwight Howard wants to come play for the Raptors. Let's stick to things with a 10% chance of happening like Phil Jackson coming in as team president.

Comment

Do not want D12. He seems like a team killer. His sulky attitude and lack of drive doesn't overcome his talent.
                  in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

You could pull it off for Bargnani, Kleiza, filler and future picks. If you used JV you would still need to send them a big contract to do the math. I'm against it for a whole slew of reasons (no way they trade with Toronto and not demand DD), but, so many people were screaming for a post presence that I'm surprised so many people disagree with the concept of bringing him in.

Comment

Let's not talk about Dwight for now. I only just stopped laughing at Lakers sweep jokes.
                      Anyway, my priorities:
                      1) Fire BC-Pretty simple. I would keep Casey for another year, but BC has to go.
                      2) Remove Bargs from the team, by any means-Hopefully this is a trade for someone like Ilyasova or a Hawes/Wright combo, but if he can't be traded, amnesty. I can live with Linas stealing money for another year. Plus, $10mil in cap space could find a suitable replacement, given Millsap, Landry, Brand and JJ Hickson are all FA's (Landry has a player option). And hey, this Amir kid put a good season together...
                      3) Let AA and Pietrus walk, and ensure Ross sees more minutes. Before we talk trades, Raps must obey the 4th basketball commandment; "Thou shalt not trade a rookie who has not seen major minutes". He needs to see 6th man type minutes this year, gotta gauge this kid's ceiling.

Comment

swingman wrote: View Post
                        Let's not talk about Dwight for now. I only just stopped laughing at Lakers sweep jokes.
                        Anyway, my priorities:
                        1) Fire BC-Pretty simple. I would keep Casey for another year, but BC has to go.
                        2) Remove Bargs from the team, by any means-Hopefully this is a trade for someone like Ilyasova or a Hawes/Wright combo, but if he can't be traded, amnesty. I can live with Linas stealing money for another year. Plus, $10mil in cap space could find a suitable replacement, given Millsap, Landry, Brand and JJ Hickson are all FA's (Landry has a player option). And hey, this Amir kid put a good season together...
                        3) Let AA and Pietrus walk, and ensure Ross sees more minutes. Before we talk trades, Raps must obey the 4th basketball commandment; "Thou shalt not trade a rookie who has not seen major minutes". He needs to see 6th man type minutes this year, gotta gauge this kid's ceiling.
                        Amnestying Bargnani won't free up any cap space unless it's combined with other salary-clearing trades, as we're currently well over the cap. Not saying amnestying might be the right option, just that if we do, the mid-level exception ($5 million) is where we'll need to find the money for any free agent replacement for him. Brand's the only one of those guys who will be well within our price range. Landry might be, if we spend the full MLE on him, but I think he probably either stays with GSW or gets an offer worth more than the full MLE.

edit: my top 3 steps:

1. Tell Casey and the analytics department that I want that little simulation of theirs made into a computer game that the players can play during every moment of the summer that they're not in the gym, until defensive positioning become completely ingrained. I know this sounds facetious, but I'm dead serious. I want them playing defense with skynet-like ruthlessness and efficiency by next season. I'm going to stake my GM career on embracing this sort of advanced analytics and technology.
                        2. Trade Bargnani for versatile veteran backup PG or PF/C, and then use the MLE on whichever position isn't filled by the trade. Boozer and Gasol scenarios are both viable for me, but Gasol's preferable for how soon his contract comes off the books. Okafor would work, too, or some combination of smaller parts. Assuming a trade can be found for Bargnani, amnesty Kleiza.
                        3. Let the current core roll into next season and give them a chance to sink or swim as a group. 30 games into the season, I'll make a decision to (A) blow up the current core and essentially tank the rest of the season for a high draft pick (blaming it on Colangelo, and saying how we need to focus on trading for and developing youth); or (B) let them continue if they're winning (and take credit for their success with the 'best trade is the one you don't make' line). If they're winning, I'll try to convince Gay and Lowry to take discount extensions on the argument that this is what they need to do if we're going to take the next step and build a winner around them.
                        4. Assuming a winning scenario in step 3 above, aim long-term for 2015 (when contracts to Fields, Johnson, and potentially Bargnani's trade return such as Boozer all expire) as when we're going to add one remaining big piece (potentially at PF). 2015 is key because this is when New York, Miami, and Brooklyn will really feel the crunch of the new repeater rate provisions, and be forced to think hard about blowing up their cores. All moves made now should be made with consideration for their impact in 2015 and beyond.
                        Last edited by octothorp; Mon Apr 29, 2013, 10:25 AM.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                          if we get a top 3 pick in this years draft (hopefully #1), I would try to facilitate a sign and trade with the atlanta hawks where they take bargnani,fields,and top 3 pick (approximately 20 mill in salary), and we get josh smith signed to max (clear overpay) and deshawn stevenson. (if we don't get top 3 pick,try to use derozan in sign and trade, but be prepared to amnesty bargs b/c derozan is not enough to warrant taking his bad contract)

If the sign and trade (top 3 pick, bargs,fields) is succesful Derozan gets traded for a good shooting SG who doesn't have to be spectacular, just good enough to give ross time to develop, and Backup back to the bucket Big. (basically our bench)

offer calderon like 6 million 2 year deal.

Casey stays.
                          No way josh smith deserves a max deal. And i don't think any GM will be stupid enough to do this. Every stat of his has basically regressed from last year, not to mention he's shooting 59% FT.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                            You could pull it off for Bargnani, Kleiza, filler and future picks. If you used JV you would still need to send them a big contract to do the math. I'm against it for a whole slew of reasons (no way they trade with Toronto and not demand DD), but, so many people were screaming for a post presence that I'm surprised so many people disagree with the concept of bringing him in.
                            Are you suggesting Howard is a presence in the post? He's not very efficient in the post (he barely has anything resembling a post move). Most people here, who talk about a post presence, also want someone who can pass out of the post. Howard isn't good at passing.

Comment

I don't like the idea of any trade where we give up JV. My list of players I'd give him up for stands firmly at 2: LeBron James and Kevin Durant. Anyone else and I'd have doubts. Likely too many to make it worth it. I firmly believe JV could be the best 2-way C in the game during his prime. As someone who has followed a team whose best C, at least while with the Raptors, was a 6'9'' PF (Antonio Davis)...I'm so happy to have a legit 7 footer, who runs the floor, can score on the block, facing up and on the p'n'r, has an incredible motor, good leadership qualities, a high bball IQ, and solid defensive ability, all at a young age..It's the biggest luxury this team has ever had. I've said it before and I'll say it again, JV is the best prospect this team has had. He's a C with a game that fits both ends of the court, and just about any style of play the team wants to use. It hurts my brain to think of trading him.

Comment

Since we're pitching crazy ideas...
                                1) Trade Lowry and DeMar to Sacramento in a sign and trade for Tyreke Evans and Marcus Thornton. My reason is that Tyreke is best with the ball in his hands as he showd in his rookie season when he played PG averaging a bit over 5 assitst per game. He's showing signs of returning to his old self this season and shot a personal best 47.8% from the field which is quite good for a guard imo. Marcus Thornton is a pretty good 3pt shooter, shooting 37% from beyond the arc this season and about 36.5% lifetime. He's not a great defender, but this deal is more about getting Tyreke, whom I think is going to have a break out year next season if healthy. Salaries would need to be matched up, so fillers would be required.

2) Amnesty Kleiza

3) Trade Barnani for Boozer and Nate Robinson. Not a huge Boozer fan, but that has more to do with his personality than his skills

Tyreke Evans/Nate Robinson
                                Thornton/T. Ross
                                Gay/Fields
                                Amir/Acy
                                JV/Gray

Comment

Working...
                                X