Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 98

Thread: Jason Collins comes out as a homosexual

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    243
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We have the right to ignorant speech though, no?

    EDIT: That being said, I wrote a 600+ words on this on my blog so I'm not going to be as long winded here, rofl. The thing is though, for all the people (like heinz) that say this shouldn't be a big deal, it's true. But the fact remains, the culture that still exists, especially in male pro sports, means it is a big deal. It's true that it shouldn't be a big deal, but we're not at that point yet. Hopefully it won't be a big deal one day but we're going to have to go through a phase where it IS a big deal before we get to the part where it's not a big deal. It's a big deal that athletes don't think they're free to be themselves. It's a big deal that not a single male athlete has come out while still playing. It's not a big deal that Collins is gay - but it is a big deal that he (and any other gay players) doesn't think he can speak about it casually.
    Last edited by TRX; Mon Apr 29th, 2013 at 08:35 PM.

  2. Like ezz_bee, JawsGT liked this post
  3. #22
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TRX wrote: View Post
    We have the right to ignorant speech though, no?
    Absolutely. There is also the right that exists to call the person in question an ignorant Douche-Bag.

    Quote TRX wrote: View Post
    The thing is though, for all the people (like heinz) that say this shouldn't be a big deal, it's true. But the fact remains, the culture that still exists, especially in male pro sports, means it is a big deal. It's true that it shouldn't be a big deal, but we're not at that point yet. Hopefully it won't be a big deal one day but we're going to have to go through a phase where it IS a big deal before we get to the part where it's not a big deal. It's a big deal that athletes don't think they're free to be themselves. It's a big deal that not a single male athlete has come out while still playing. It's not a big deal that Collins is gay - but it is a big deal that he (and any other gay players) doesn't think he can speak about it casually.
    Well said TRX. However, I honestly believe that we already are, or very nearly past it 'being a big deal'.
    The only reason its seen as a big deal to the public is because no ones done it before. But judging from the over-whelming support he's received, I think it was very much overdue to happen, and most very much expected it to happen.

    While the public opinion remains one thing, the NBA is not the Military.
    With players like Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Dwyane Wade, Tony Parker and Jason Kidd all coming out and publicly supporting Collins, they've shown the Players themselves to be accepting of this.

    Besides Broussard, I haven't heard anything but support and praise for Collins.
    In Masai we Trust.

  4. #23
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Statistics will tell you that 4% of the population are homosexual. That means every second team should have one player who is homosexual. To me it's amazing he's the only one out because how do they hide it from their teammates? These guys are together all the time and hang out. Some of his teammates/friends must have known and kept quiet.

  5. #24
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And the only reason why this is a big deal is because "being gay" unfortunately still isn't socially accepted for the most part. I mean, who was that NFL player today who said something along the lines that with all these gorgeous women in the world and Collins chooses to pursue guys? It doesn't get any more ignorant then that folks.

  6. #25
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not that we're on the topic: for those who want Sloan here and don't like douche bags, when John Amaechi was with Utah, Sloan wasn't a shining light of tolerance.

  7. #26
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    And the only reason why this is a big deal is because "being gay" unfortunately still isn't socially accepted for the most part. I mean, who was that NFL player today who said something along the lines that with all these gorgeous women in the world and Collins chooses to pursue guys? It doesn't get any more ignorant then that folks.
    Absolutely; that's so short sighted. Come on, everybody knows that men age better.

  8. #27
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I really do hope ESPN does something about Broussard. I mean, if they fired Hank Williams Jr. for comparing Obama to Hitler, Broussard condemning gays in my opinion is just as bad. JMO

  9. #28
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,554
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    Not sure how to embed videos on mobile but here's a link to Chris Broussard being an asshole about it.
    http://youtu.be/G4PTUPXdfE0
    Wow, this is a complete and utter joke. I didn't have any respect for Chris Broussard before this, and now there's zero chance he's EVER getting it from me. Some people man...
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  10. #29
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
    And the only reason why this is a big deal is because "being gay" unfortunately still isn't socially accepted for the most part. I mean, who was that NFL player today who said something along the lines that with all these gorgeous women in the world and Collins chooses to pursue guys? It doesn't get any more ignorant then that folks.
    Found the quote. It was from Mike Wallace who later apologized claiming that he just didn't understand. *rolls eyes*

    “All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys ***,”

  11. #30
    Raptors Republic Rookie swingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good for him, being gay isn't something to be ashamed of. Always struck me as weird a player's sexuality would concern people so much. That said, it will be interesting to see how this affects his search for a contract.

  12. #31
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote swingman wrote: View Post
    Good for him, being gay isn't something to be ashamed of. Always struck me as weird a player's sexuality would concern people so much. That said, it will be interesting to see how this affects his search for a contract.
    Hey, Canada is pretty accepting of gays, so I wouldn't be disappointed if we signed him. Solid defensive big. Toronto might be a good place for him to continue his career at the moment.

  13. #32
    Raptors Republic Rookie swingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
    Hey, Canada is pretty accepting of gays, so I wouldn't be disappointed if we signed him. Solid defensive big. Toronto might be a good place for him to continue his career at the moment.
    Yeah, I think having a veteran big would be a positive. Hey, I was suprised Jamaal Magloire wasn't signed one more year this past season. I'm always for having a seasoned player to sit on the bench and work with the youth, especially a class act such as Collins.

  14. #33
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The support from current players is actually INCREDIBLE. I didn't even expect it to be this positive. Check out this page from ESPN. Lists tweets from not only Current and Formers players, but a lot of his Current and Former teammates; its pretty amazing. I think that little country of theirs down there is going to be just fine.

    Players Express Support for Collings
    Couple Raptors got in on it too:

    Rudy Gay - Happy for my former teammate Jason Colllins. A true American. "home of the free because of the brave"

    Kyle Lowry - Respect to @jasoncollins34. great teammate and true professional when we played together.

    Rasual Butler - Much Respect for @jasoncollins34 that took a lot of courage!
    Collins has even come out and Thanked everyone for their Support:
    "All the support I have received today is truly inspirational. I knew that I was choosing the road less traveled but I'm not walking it alone.
    Thank you to everyone who has reached out to me thru email, texts, calls, tweets, letters, and every other form of communication. #support"
    Last edited by Joey; Mon Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:08 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

  15. #34
    Raptors Republic Rookie swingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    The support from current players is actually INCREDIBLE. I didn't even expect it to be this positive. Check out this page from ESPN. Lists tweets from not only Current and Formers players, but a lot of his Current and Former teammates; its pretty amazing. I think that little country of theirs down there is going to be just fine.



    Collins has even come out and Thanked everyone for their Support:
    "All the support I have received today is truly inspirational. I knew that I was choosing the road less traveled but I'm not walking it alone.
    Thank you to everyone who has reached out to me thru email, texts, calls, tweets, letters, and every other form of communication. #support"
    When you think of the general perception of the NBA 10 years ago compared to how the players are reacting today, it's a proud moment for the league to show this kind of attitude.

  16. #35
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote swingman wrote: View Post
    When you think of the general perception of the NBA 10 years ago compared to how the players are reacting today, it's a proud moment for the league to show this kind of attitude.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Hardaway's comments put so much negativity around the possibility of a Basketball player coming out that it ultimately set the whole thing back a few years.
    This should have happened a long time ago.
    In Masai we Trust.

  17. #36
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    @Luke1luk: I'm proud of @JasonCollins. Props to you -- it takes a lot of courage to come out in the sports world. #salute

    @JasonCollins is some chubby white kid with 10 followers. I imagine he's been getting mentions like this all day and has no idea who Jason Collins is and why everyone keeps congratulating him on coming out.

  18. Like isaacthompson liked this post
  19. #37
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    @Luke1luk: I'm proud of @JasonCollins. Props to you -- it takes a lot of courage to come out in the sports world. #salute

    @JasonCollins is some chubby white kid with 10 followers. I imagine he's been getting mentions like this all day and has no idea who Jason Collins is and why everyone keeps congratulating him on coming out.
    HAHAHA Leave it to John Lucas III of all guys to send the congratulations to the wrong person. I swear, if that guy isn't a pot head, he used to be. Haha
    In Masai we Trust.

  20. #38
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    @Luke1luk: I'm proud of @JasonCollins. Props to you -- it takes a lot of courage to come out in the sports world. #salute

    @JasonCollins is some chubby white kid with 10 followers. I imagine he's been getting mentions like this all day and has no idea who Jason Collins is and why everyone keeps congratulating him on coming out.
    Considering he actually got the quite common name as his twitter name, he probably isn't the same chubby white kid anymore. Ok, still white and probably chubby, but at least a couple of years older.

  21. #39
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Considering he actually got the quite common name as his twitter name, he probably isn't the same chubby white kid anymore. Ok, still white and probably chubby, but at least a couple of years older.


    This is Jason Collins. Poor kid. He's never going to hear the end of this at school.
    In Masai we Trust.

  22. #40
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think he's a few years older now; he got the original name, while I see there are many Jason Collins's active on twitter and he doesn't seem to tweet a lot. So, looks like an account which exists for quite some time now.

    Not that this is in anyway important, but ehm

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •