Jason Collins comes out as a homosexual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swingman wrote: View Post
    B...But...But he can't be as bad as Solomon Alabi, right?...Right?
    What you talkin' bout, fool. ALABI IS BASKETBALL. *** Calling African Mamba bad.

Comment

slept on it... let the whole collins coming out sit in my head long enough for a valid opinion to form.....

still don't care.

he's gay, i like titties, rob ford likes cheeseburgers.... it's all inconsequential

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
        slept on it... let the whole collins coming out sit in my head long enough for a valid opinion to form.....

still don't care.

he's gay, i like titties, rob ford likes cheeseburgers.... it's all inconsequential
        Lol.

I have to agree, this should be what the reaction should be like. Society has just made a huge deal over sexuality.

This whole thing should have nothing to do with sexuality, but having to do with making a stand against society. That's the bigger accomplishment made here IMO.
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

On a lighter note, here's an article I found on JukeLeft regarding Collins. If you've never heard of the website, it's like the Onion but funnier.

http://bit.ly/11wZ2tU
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
            Lol.

I have to agree, this should be what the reaction should be like. Society has just made a huge deal over sexuality.

This whole thing should have nothing to do with sexuality, but having to do with making a stand against society. That's the bigger accomplishment made here IMO.
            a world in which the integrity of a person is questioned because of their unique manners of attraction and sexual deviance is a world i want no part in........ for obvious reasons... while not gay, my personal deviations are well documented around these parts..

a person being able to be themselves should be the norm, not a reason to celebrate. and it's a shame that's not the case.. but the fact that is getting to the point of being the norm is applaudable on the part of society

Comment

What people (like Broussard) fail to realize is that we all have a right to an opinion....but we don't have the right to have our opinions respected.

If he wants to start spouting BS written thousands of years ago before anyone had the slightest idea how the universe operates, that's fine. Just be prepared to defend your stance.

Comment

You're right about the respect point. I don't think Broussard was asking to be respected. I think he was just answering a question honestly.
                Respect is one thing, and I would concede to your point. Being fired is another thing, and I think that would be entirely wrong.

Comment

Just for some context, while everybody still hates Chris Broussard for the short 1:50 cut of a longer interview...

If anybody finds the entire interview, that'd be cool.

Comment

The moronic part here is that Broussard sees homosexuality as something you can 'disagree' with. I don't agree with a moronic lifestyle.

Comment

Vykis wrote: View Post
                      He always was a scrub, why waste a vateran minimum for a guy who has career averages of 3,6 and 3,8, what will he teach the young guys, how to foul a lot? He came out as gay, that doesn't make him a good player
                      The worst part is the one season where he played 32mpg as a starter averaging 6ppg and 6rpg.

brutal...

Comment

Garbo wrote: View Post
                        I just watched the video clip, and I have to say that there is WAY more hatred coming from this page than there was from that clip. What a joke!
                        The questions were revolving around Brassard's faith. If you can watch that video and tell me that he's in any way a bigot or a jerk, than you should truly check yourself in the mirror. He said it himself, in his worldview that lifestyle is wrong (and he went on to say that hetero sex outside of marriage and drunkenness are all wrong too) but it doesn't change anything on the court. He and Collins were able to get along just fine.. Without agreeing on everything! .. Almost like tolerance (which there is none of in a bunch of these anti Christian posts)
                        It's like asking a vegetarian if they're uncomfortable playing with people who eat meat.
                        "No, we talked about it, and I know where he stands and he knows where I stand. This is real tolerance; that we can disagree but still coexist." The commentator than asks, "Can't someone eat meat everyday and still be a vegetarian?" And he responds, "No, if you eat meat everyday than you surely aren't a vegetarian. That goes against the rules of being a vegetarian."

I would even go on to say that it took more courage to do what Broussard did, than it did to do what Collins did. Of course Collins is being applauded! Pro sports has been waiting for this person to rise up for years. Broussard knew that he would have his beliefs ripped on by everyone, and he likely knew it might cost him his job, but he had to answer the question truthfully. Sometimes in our knee jerk reactions we swing the pendulum entirely the other way, but then you've just created ignorance and intolerance of another group. Let's just grow up. If Broussard had of insulted Collins I'd be right on board with you. The fact is, he didn't. He shouldn't lose his job for this. That would be some real intolerance.
                        This is true, every opinion should be respected. Although I'm not surprised at some of the backlash considering he didn't hold it back and did it on television lol

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
                          This is true, every opinion should be respected. Although I'm not surprised at some of the backlash considering he didn't hold it back and did it on television lol
                          My beef with Broussard is that he's completely hypocritical when it comes to breaking down barriers in sports. He goes on and on and on and on about Black this and Black that in sport, as thought there was still a color barrier... hello, it's 2013, people (most people, thankfully we live in Canada) could care less what color somebody's skin was. However, when it comes to a player breaking down the sexual orientation barrier in professional sports, he goes off on a religious attack, rather than step back and pay his respect. He makes it sound as though homosexuality is a choice people make, similar to whether to be a vegetarian or not, as opposed to being who/what you are - like being black. I was disappointed that somebody who clearly understands the value and importance of what Jackie Robinson did for Blacks, would have such a negative, ignorant view of what Collins did and the equally profound impact it would have for the homosexual community. I also personally think he came across as a homophobe hiding behind outdated religious virtues, but that's another discussion for another time.

Comment

TRX wrote: View Post
                            Just for some context, while everybody still hates Chris Broussard for the short 1:50 cut of a longer interview...

If anybody finds the entire interview, that'd be cool.
                            I don't think Broussard knows what he's talking about...I think he's letting his personal views get mixed in with the public's.

Take the second question for example:

If you got him going up against another player, and the other player hasn't come out as being gay, it might just be the easier path to take that other player. Is that what I'm hearing?

No no no, I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying, there's different views. The front office people are going to look at this as how it affects my locker room, can he still play...the point I'm trying to make is that it'd be different if Jason was 24...
                            So he denies that whether he gets signed or not has to do with his sexuality, but then IN THE VERY NEXT SENTENCE, he says it's about how GM's think he'll affect the locker room. He's just contradicting himself.
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Not really. He could still be signed but the GM will give it a second thought depending on the locker room. If it was a veteran team with high character guys it wouldn't be a problem. But if it was the Sacremento Kings then maybe it will be a problem, you don't want Jason Collins walking in and DeMarcus Cousins yelling "Fag!" (not that i think he would yell that... or would he). Really it depends on the locker room

Comment

The thing is that this increases the chance of him getting signed 1pt 1.6rebs on 31% shooting doesn't sell in the NBA, but the dude got the world buzzing and now is the most talked about athlete in the world and that alone gets him some looks from the GMs.

Comment

Working...
                                X