No announcement yet.

Jason Collins comes out as a homosexual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side note, the interviewer was also gay and he went off on Chris Broussard after. It was pretty awesome.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
      Side note, the interviewer was also gay and he went off on Chris Broussard after. It was pretty awesome.
      I would have liked to have seen this part! Haha

What a tool you are Mr. Broussard. Never liked you anyway.

Comment

thats cool. Took a lot of courage to do it I bet

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
          thats cool. Took a lot of courage to do it I bet
          Especially considering he's still looking for a contract.

Comment

Free speech is one thing. Ignorance is another. Broussard is a buffoon.

Comment

We have the right to ignorant speech though, no?

EDIT: That being said, I wrote a 600+ words on this on my blog so I'm not going to be as long winded here, rofl. The thing is though, for all the people (like heinz) that say this shouldn't be a big deal, it's true. But the fact remains, the culture that still exists, especially in male pro sports, means it is a big deal. It's true that it shouldn't be a big deal, but we're not at that point yet. Hopefully it won't be a big deal one day but we're going to have to go through a phase where it IS a big deal before we get to the part where it's not a big deal. It's a big deal that athletes don't think they're free to be themselves. It's a big deal that not a single male athlete has come out while still playing. It's not a big deal that Collins is gay - but it is a big deal that he (and any other gay players) doesn't think he can speak about it casually.
              Last edited by TRX; Mon Apr 29, 2013, 08:35 PM.

Comment

TRX wrote: View Post
                We have the right to ignorant speech though, no?
                Absolutely. There is also the right that exists to call the person in question an ignorant Douche-Bag.

TRX wrote: View Post
                The thing is though, for all the people (like heinz) that say this shouldn't be a big deal, it's true. But the fact remains, the culture that still exists, especially in male pro sports, means it is a big deal. It's true that it shouldn't be a big deal, but we're not at that point yet. Hopefully it won't be a big deal one day but we're going to have to go through a phase where it IS a big deal before we get to the part where it's not a big deal. It's a big deal that athletes don't think they're free to be themselves. It's a big deal that not a single male athlete has come out while still playing. It's not a big deal that Collins is gay - but it is a big deal that he (and any other gay players) doesn't think he can speak about it casually.
                Well said TRX. However, I honestly believe that we already are, or very nearly past it 'being a big deal'.
                The only reason its seen as a big deal to the public is because no ones done it before. But judging from the over-whelming support he's received, I think it was very much overdue to happen, and most very much expected it to happen.

While the public opinion remains one thing, the NBA is not the Military.
                With players like Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Dwyane Wade, Tony Parker and Jason Kidd all coming out and publicly supporting Collins, they've shown the Players themselves to be accepting of this.

Besides Broussard, I haven't heard anything but support and praise for Collins.

Comment

Statistics will tell you that 4% of the population are homosexual. That means every second team should have one player who is homosexual. To me it's amazing he's the only one out because how do they hide it from their teammates? These guys are together all the time and hang out. Some of his teammates/friends must have known and kept quiet.

Comment

And the only reason why this is a big deal is because "being gay" unfortunately still isn't socially accepted for the most part. I mean, who was that NFL player today who said something along the lines that with all these gorgeous women in the world and Collins chooses to pursue guys? It doesn't get any more ignorant then that folks.

Comment

Not that we're on the topic: for those who want Sloan here and don't like douche bags, when John Amaechi was with Utah, Sloan wasn't a shining light of tolerance.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                        And the only reason why this is a big deal is because "being gay" unfortunately still isn't socially accepted for the most part. I mean, who was that NFL player today who said something along the lines that with all these gorgeous women in the world and Collins chooses to pursue guys? It doesn't get any more ignorant then that folks.
                        Absolutely; that's so short sighted. Come on, everybody knows that men age better.

Comment

I really do hope ESPN does something about Broussard. I mean, if they fired Hank Williams Jr. for comparing Obama to Hitler, Broussard condemning gays in my opinion is just as bad. JMO

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                            Not sure how to embed videos on mobile but here's a link to Chris Broussard being an asshole about it.
                            http://youtu.be/G4PTUPXdfE0
                            Wow, this is a complete and utter joke. I didn't have any respect for Chris Broussard before this, and now there's zero chance he's EVER getting it from me. Some people man...
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
                              Found the quote. It was from Mike Wallace who later apologized claiming that he just didn't understand. *rolls eyes*

“All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys ***,”

Comment

Good for him, being gay isn't something to be ashamed of. Always struck me as weird a player's sexuality would concern people so much. That said, it will be interesting to see how this affects his search for a contract.

Comment

Working...
                                X