Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Jason Collins comes out as a homosexual

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    The worst part is the one season where he played 32mpg as a starter averaging 6ppg and 6rpg.

brutal...
    wow... that IS brutal.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    wow... that IS brutal.
    Plus 41%FG that season, dude sucks both figuratively and literally

3. Like isaacthompson liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    My beef with Broussard is that he's completely hypocritical when it comes to breaking down barriers in sports. He goes on and on and on and on about Black this and Black that in sport, as thought there was still a color barrier... hello, it's 2013, people (most people, thankfully we live in Canada) could care less what color somebody's skin was. However, when it comes to a player breaking down the sexual orientation barrier in professional sports, he goes off on a religious attack, rather than step back and pay his respect. He makes it sound as though homosexuality is a choice people make, similar to whether to be a vegetarian or not, as opposed to being who/what you are - like being black. I was disappointed that somebody who clearly understands the value and importance of what Jackie Robinson did for Blacks, would have such a negative, ignorant view of what Collins did and the equally profound impact it would have for the homosexual community. I also personally think he came across as a homophobe hiding behind outdated religious virtues, but that's another discussion for another time.
    1st bold: Yup, it would seem that all folks intolerant of homosexuals believe it's a choice.

2nd bold: Aren't all religious virtues outdated?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Vykis wrote: View Post
    Plus 41%FG that season, dude sucks both figuratively and literally
    Shouldn't be laughing but I am...
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

his stats are meaningless. if he sucks, he shouldn't get a new contract from anybody... if he has any value, even if it's just as 6 hard fouls, then he should..

gay has nothing to do with that.

what's commendable, is he is still hoping to work next year, and took a massive risk outing himself. the majority of reactions from everyone has been positive, but he had absolutely no way of knowing that. there was absolutely no precedent set for the effect of a gay man coming out while actively seeking employment in professional sports.

personally, i can't reasonably say i'd have been able to predict what the reactions were going to be.. i'm Canadian, not American. I don't exactly know what the social stigma for homosexuals is amongst black american culture. i've never been in a room with a bunch of black americans and one gay guy at the moment that somebody points out that dude is gay.

i have been here. it's largely a "meh... who the fuck cares, as long as he doesn't whip out his dick" moment..

he's a first. a harbinger. he's the butterfly in chaos theory.

a part of me hopes he doesn't get signed. not because of his gayness, but because he's not a very good player.

and he goes on to work in social activism.. community work.. etc

he's unintentionally made himself a symbol for something much bigger than what he intended.. and he can do the world so much more good embracing that