Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2013-2014 toronto raptors Season

Raptors Republic Rookie TdotHype's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2013-2014 toronto raptors Season

What do you all think?

Toronto Raptors might have a great chance to get the 7th or 8th playoff spot if:

- they become more aggressive
    - terrence ross is a young player who can shoot and also hype up and motivate the team with his dunks (let him play some minutes)
    - Demar Derozan needs to hit up the gym and practice his jump-shot outside of the paint.
    - Rudy gay needs to practise his 3 pointers because he is very inconsistent with his points and his percentage

What do you all think??

Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They have a roster who can get higher than that, they need to avoid all those injuries and somehow not lose most of games in the 4th quarter... And we shouldn't forget Bargnani, the management decisions on him will have big impact
    Last edited by japetas; Thu May 2nd, 2013 at 03:28 AM.
    (Sorry for poor English )

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This team needs a good system more than anything. Adding or removing players isn't gonna change the team very much. Consistent, tough team D and a coorindated offense that isn't ISO heavy and this team could win 45 I believe.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Our starting lineup is fine right now to win games, it's our bench that needs work though. Our bench is this
    Gray
    Acy
    Anderson
    Ross
    Lucas

That bench won't get it done, especially when Alan Anderson will chuck to his hearts content. We need to upgrade the backup SF, PF/C and PG some how for this team to be better. Getting Kyle Korver or Mike Dunleavy at SF, Carl Landry or Sam Dalembert at PF/C and DJ Augustine at PG our bench would look like this

Dalembert
    Acy
    Dunleavy
    Ross
    Augustine

or

Landry
    Acy
    Korver
    Ross
    Augustine

That bench gives us 3 point shooting and post presence some that this team desperately needs. How to acquire those players is going to be the question.
    Last edited by DG88; Thu May 2nd, 2013 at 10:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DG88 wrote: View Post
    Our starting lineup is fine right now to win games.
    Are you watching the playoffs? Our starting lineup is not "good enough". I highly recommend that people who think any part of this team is "good enough" watch the Mem/LAC, Den/GS or OKC/Rockets series. It wll give you a sense of just how many light years away the Raptors are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Are you watching the playoffs? Our starting lineup is not "good enough". I highly recommend that people who think any part of this team is "good enough" watch the Mem/LAC, Den/GS or OKC/Rockets series. It wll give you a sense of just how many light years away the Raptors are.
    First of all, all the teams you mentioned is in the West, so we only can play the finals series against them, teams like Brooklyn or even New York arent looking SO good , but that's not the point. Our starting lineup is really good enough (maybe not for championship competition but they could fight for a place in the East finals), like JawsGT said above, this team needs a good system. If you look at the teams like San Antonio or Boston - most of their players aren't all-stars but everybody knows their place on court, their role in the team's offence and defence - that's the thing the Raptors lacks at the moment.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote japetas wrote: View Post
    First of all, all the teams you mentioned is in the West, so we only can play the finals series against them, teams like Brooklyn or even New York arent looking SO good , but that's not the point. Our starting lineup is really good enough (maybe not for championship competition but they could fight for a place in the East finals), like JawsGT said above, this team needs a good system. If you look at the teams like San Antonio or Boston - most of their players aren't all-stars but everybody knows their place on court, their role in the team's offence and defence - that's the thing the Raptors lacks at the moment.
    Are you being serious?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Are you being serious?
    Yeah, I'm quite optimistic But at least our starting lineup doesn't look worse than teams like Atlanta, I mean really..
    Last edited by japetas; Thu May 2nd, 2013 at 12:26 PM.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    If you are talking about winning championships definitely not good enough, but making the playoffs? which Raps havent done in 5 years yes easily I think.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been watching two games tonight and I see four players the Raps have let go as not being "good enough" and at least two of them are starting, Reggie Evans and Marco Bellinelli. Jarret Jack off the bench, Kris Humphries off the bench.

Games I haven't watched: Off the bench - Matt Bonner, Jeryd Bayless, Ed Davis.

Not saying the Raps made mistakes letting these guys go, but interesting to see ex-raps in the playoffs.

Post Thanks / Like

If things go right, and the talent takes a major leap forward, they're capable of a top 4 seed.

Realistically though, considering injuries, calls, etc, etc. I think they'll be a playoff team next year, but considering the negatives aren't major.

This team just needs minor tweaks, good internal improvement over the Summer, and they'll be looking within that 6-8 frame.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    I have been watching two games tonight and I see four players the Raps have let go as not being "good enough" and at least two of them are starting, Reggie Evans and Marco Bellinelli. Jarret Jack off the bench, Kris Humphries off the bench.

Not saying the Raps made mistakes letting these guys go, but interesting to see ex-raps in the playoffs.
    Everyone in the NBA has ability and skill. It is finding complimentary pieces to fit with great talent. Toronto has been lacking the great talent but has never had a problem with role players. Actually they have had one problem with role players: expecting too much from them.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

13. Like RandomGuy liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote japetas wrote: View Post
    Yeah, I'm quite optimistic But at least our starting lineup doesn't look worse than teams like Atlanta, I mean really..
    Im an optimist as well!
    So I am with you on this one!
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

Just to expand on this, without taking it seriously, also interesting listening to announcers praising Marco and Reggy. They are, afterall, starting for playoff teams.

As far as actual starters:
    Comparison of Johnson and Derozan:
    http://www.signandtrade.com/nba/nbap...ompareid=41770
    What jumps out is 3 pointers. Marginal in other areas.

Comparison of Butler and Lowry:
    http://www.signandtrade.com/nba/nbap...ompareid=41766
    No comparison.

Rudy Gay and Luol Deng
    http://www.signandtrade.com/nba/nbap...ompareid=41771

Again, not to take it seriously, but I think these comparisons really point out how important team dynamics are. And I think the impact of the right players in the right situations.

This also shows, I think, how you cannot consider a player and their stats in isolation. The point has been made in other threads that no individual position on a playoff team, needs to be staffed by a superstar. The Bulls are a good example of that. They have a starting five that doesn't include any superstars (currently). But there they are.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to expand on this, without taking it seriously, also interesting listening to announcers praising Marco and Reggy. They are, afterall, starting for playoff teams.

As far as actual starters:
    Comparison of Johnson and Derozan:
    http://www.signandtrade.com/nba/nbap...ompareid=41770
    What jumps out is 3 pointers. Marginal in other areas.

Comparison of Butler and Lowry:
    http://www.signandtrade.com/nba/nbap...ompareid=41766
    No comparison.

Rudy Gay and Luol Deng
    http://www.signandtrade.com/nba/nbap...ompareid=41771

Again, not to take it seriously, but I think these comparisons really point out how important team dynamics are. And I think the impact of the right players in the right situations.

This also shows, I think, how you cannot consider a player and their stats in isolation. The point has been made in other threads that no individual position on a playoff team, needs to be staffed by a superstar. The Bulls are a good example of that. They have a starting five that doesn't include any superstars (currently). But there they are.
    Actually they have a superstar. His name: Coach Thibs

17. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

;-)

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Its too early to tell but i think 7th or 8th seed is setting the bar way but i mean way too low.
    We already are better than the bucks, the celtics are only getting older everyday, and Rondo's injury plus the time he'll need to be back to his level, and Atlanta depending on what happens to Josh smith are all falling out of the playoffs.

Playoffs are gonna be handed to us, Washington and maybe detroit.

I think Colangelo brainwashed all of canada into thinking COMPETING for the 8th seed is an acceptable goal. If that's all we aspire to after 7 years, how many years are we gonna need to compete with the heat ? 30 ?

We're further away from championships than Demar getting a 3 point shot, The raptors are flawed, but besides Primo Pasta, they are a hard working group, i trust they'll improve everything they can every year untill they are 30.

What we need is to remove everything from ALL of the Coaches all the way to Brian Colangelo who taught those young men to AIM for mediocrity. All the great ones in every sports, always expected greatness from themselves. the very good ones, had a coach and organization that demanded it for them.
    Last edited by Dino4life; Sat May 4th, 2013 at 02:40 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

The goal for the next 2 years should be getting into the playoffs, and in the second year breaking into the 2nd round. In 3 years Raptors have serious cap relief and that should be the year that a team with 2 years in the playoffs, and a revamped reputation goes out into free agency. But first, they HAVE TO make the playoffs this year. If not, the Raps will be stuck in the muck for even longer unless they get a revolutionary player like Wiggans, etal in the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

What about signing a guy like Seth Curry (Steph Curry's little brother) who could go late second round or un-drafted. He's is part of the curry family, so he's a dead eye three shooter and he's 6'2, has handles. Anyone know is that's even remotely possible? Please, drop some science on me.

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information