Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Back-Up PG

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I am intrigued with Livingston, he turns 28 in September, he should have a few years left in the tank, even with his past injury. My concern is with his complete lack of an outside game how will he blend with a roster of non-shooters? What I do like is that he brings a very different look as the back-up and has had to really learn how to play an mental game after losing some of his pep.
    Shaun Livingston played well in Cleveland and I am sure they will try to resign him if the price is reasonable. He is good at posting up smaller guards and has good court vision, especially from the top of the key (he threaded the needle a number of times finding cutters from that position). Cannot shoot the 3, at all. I hope he is back with Cleveland next season because I do not want to see another Donald Sloan type PG out there! You guys complain about JL3 but you have yet to see how awful a Donald Sloan can be.

I am guessing he is the second resign priority after Wayne Ellington. Maybe The Son of Bill is third, and Marreese Speights if he is willing to sign for far less than he thinks he is worth.

I know a few people mentioned Marreese Speights on these boards a few times but I do not want to see him as a Raptor. Lazy ass defender, loves shooting the long 2 and will not pass an opportunity to do so.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote c_bcm wrote: View Post
    Back up pg. not starter. But I agree, i'm sure there are better options available.
    As in next in line. It means he'll likely play at least some minutes against such guys, and would be the primary PG if there is an injury, having to play heavy minutes against them. Any situation where he would have to play 20+ mpg if someone gets injured, even as the 3rd PG, is too much for him. At best he's a 6th wing...He's Mikael Pietrus. Except, frankly, I think Pietrus is a better locker room guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Shaun Livingston played well in Cleveland and I am sure they will try to resign him if the price is reasonable. He is good at posting up smaller guards and has good court vision, especially from the top of the key (he threaded the needle a number of times finding cutters from that position). Cannot shoot the 3, at all. I hope he is back with Cleveland next season because I do not want to see another Donald Sloan type PG out there! You guys complain about JL3 but you have yet to see how awful a Donald Sloan can be.

I am guessing he is the second resign priority after Wayne Ellington. Maybe The Son of Bill is third, and Marreese Speights if he is willing to sign for far less than he thinks he is worth.

I know a few people mentioned Marreese Speights on these boards a few times but I do not want to see him as a Raptor. Lazy ass defender, loves shooting the long 2 and will not pass an opportunity to do so.
    Price is everything. If the Raptors address their other need, in the frontcourt, through trading Bargnani (I'm not suggesting Bargnani alone would bring back a good asset, so it's either a bigger package or a worse player), then they should have enough money to compete for him. The question is what is Cleveland willing to pay him? He was making peanuts, I'm guessing the minimum, this past season. Could 2-3 million per season snatch him away? Some kind of 2 year deal worth 5-7 million maybe, with the 2nd year only partially guaranteed because of his injury history? With Cleveland having some cap space and willingness to deal, will he be a priority for them?...so could the Raps get him just by beating Cleveland to the punch? Definitely an interesting situation.

I think the thing about Speights is that he has a smaller contract than Bargs, which expires next summer. If you're going to get a lazy defender taking long 2s, better to pay him 4.5 million than 10+, and for one less season. Admittedly, the money is the only reason the trade would be at all ok. I don't really want this to happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Chauncey Billups - thread closed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    Chauncey Billups - thread closed
    Right, because I'm sure Toronto is exactly the type of situation he's looking for....I'm not trying to be negative, but I can't see it being his top choice. By all means though, they should definitely see if he'd have any interest.

Post Thanks / Like

Chauncey Billups
    Billups has actually transitioned out of the PG role, and into more of a spot-up SG role with the Clippers. Has been working for him and his old joints.

thread closed
    At first I thought this said "thead closed" ... would've been the coolest sign-off ever.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still on the boat for Luke Ridnour. I really do believe this team needs a pass-first backup. With Lowry's aggressive style of play, and obviously an uptempo guard, getting a slower, change of pace in Ridnour, or a similar guard would be a good addition.

I'm not into having Lucas the primary backup.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I really want Telfair to establish himself as a solid Backup PG. The dude has got a lot of talent and skill, he's the ideal backup pg. Just sort of inconsistent
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The "have you lost your mind" comment is the most accurate posted in response to the TMac suggestion. We'd be just as well getting Roy Halladay as the backup PG.

I think the #1 thing we need to add with any perimeter player is shooting. We're not going to get a PG that can gaurd is position 1 on 1 with the $ we have available. We need to improve our outside shooting and hope we can coach the guy to at least send opposing PGs towards the help D. Second most important is ball handling because Lowry's our only trustworthy handler right now (gulp!).

I was joking when I suggesting Jose and Mike James, but they both fit the bill. Jose is the best player we could hope for, but I'm skeptical he'd come back and we probably can't afford him. James is washed up but can still shoot/space the floor in very limited minutes. JL3 surprised me with his shooting ability at some points this year, but he's more of a 3rd stringer. Boobie Gibson definitely has range. Chauncy and DFish should be considered because they can shoot well and would add the sorely needed vet presence on this team.

To sum it all up... LOL @ TMac & we're not looking at anybody much better than Bassy anyways.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we already have a pretty good backup point guard. I'd be more concerned about getting a good starter.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve Nash as backup point guard in place if Andrea Bargnani

Post Thanks / Like

First thing s first, we decline jl3 player option and then we let bassy go then we get 1. Deven Harris 2. Call up Iverson Lowry Harris Iverson is a solid 3 man pg rotation
    #BringBackUzoh

Raptors Republic Rookie japetas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's possible - trade Bargnani for mid first round pick, draft Kabongo or something like that...
    (Sorry for poor English )

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote drunkmunky wrote: View Post
    Steve Nash as backup point guard in place if Andrea Bargnani
    Not sure how he'd feel being a backup PG.

He has a 15% trade kicker, too.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

He has proven himself to be injury prone this year.
    He is not a reliable No.1 PG for the Lakers.

Raptors Republic Rookie japetas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Other scenario - throw Mid-level exception (if we still have one) to European. I doubt if a guy like Milos Teodosic would accept to play in the NBA because, I believe, he earns quite much in Russia but It worth a try. He's 26 year old 6'5 point guard with good playmaking skills and defence
    Last edited by japetas; Thu May 2nd, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
    (Sorry for poor English )

Raptors Republic All-Star stretch's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Raptors would have to acquire a first round pick to get Dennis Schroeder from Germany as PG. He's fast, strong with the ball, high assist to turnover ratio, lockdown defender, and a good shooter.

Last edited by stretch; Thu May 2nd, 2013 at 05:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Trade Lucas and Bargnani for Jeremy Lin. Houston might just do that, except that Lin fills a lot of seats.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Beagle wrote: View Post
    Trade Lucas and Bargnani for Jeremy Lin. Houston might just do that, except that Lin fills a lot of seats.
    Don't like Lin's contract. I'm sure BC/future GM will not want to deal with the poison pill.
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic All-Star stretch's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Patrick Beverly with the bargain basement contract is the better point guard on Houston's roster right now.

Thread Information