Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Head Coach

Post Thanks / Like

Default Head Coach

If we were to fire coach casey and get a new coach for whatever reason who would you like to hire? I personally would love to have Jeff Van Gundy as our coach
    #BringBackUzoh

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hope DC doesn't get fired. He's had his hands tied behind his back. I hope 13-14 will allow him to spread his legs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote drunkmunky wrote: View Post
    I really hope DC doesn't get fired. He's had his hands tied behind his back. I hope 13-14 will allow him to spread his legs.
    please tell me you meant wings?

4. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    please tell me you meant wings?
    Please tell me you didn't.

lol

That was so disturbing it is funny.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess if 2012/13 was the year he got bent over...the natural progression would be to spread his legs this coming season

Post Thanks / Like

DC ain't got wings lol

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Screw the head coach thread.

Let's turn this into a debate over Casey's sexuality. That would be much more entertaining.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm little bit of a drunk munky myself right now, but that was disturblingly funny.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

i really hope dc doesn't get fired. He's had his hands tied behind his back. I hope 13-14 will allow him to spread his legs.
    lol

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL. let him spread his legs while his hands are still tied behind his back? That's just Rudy Gay. LOL.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like DC as a coach too. This season was disappointing on a number of levels, but there's a number of things about DC that I like.

He's got that lunch-pail, old school approach; many of the things Jackson's praised for in Oakland also exist in Casey - but don't have Steph Curry to make him look good.

He's shown a willingness to work with our analytics team while still bringing that real-game perspective; increasing defensive rotation responsibilities and benching guys that fuck up.

Our players have shown solid development under him; Amir was a revalation, Demar is extending the range on his jumper, and Davis showed great big-to-big passing & rebounding instincts prior to the trade. Even Lowry seemed like less of a malcontent than his reputation suggests.

He holds guys accountable; he canned James Johnson for immature behavior, he's not afraid to bench Ross when he misses defensive assignments (even though the media and fans give him crap for it), and he even called out the refs after we got hosed so many times.

Learning to spread his legs more will just be an added bonus.

13. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully DC can get out high level of defense from 2 seasons ago, hopefully.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoBan wrote: View Post
    I like DC as a coach too. This season was disappointing on a number of levels, but there's a number of things about DC that I like.

He's got that lunch-pail, old school approach; many of the things Jackson's praised for in Oakland also exist in Casey - but don't have Steph Curry to make him look good.

He's shown a willingness to work with our analytics team while still bringing that real-game perspective; increasing defensive rotation responsibilities and benching guys that fuck up.

Our players have shown solid development under him; Amir was a revalation, Demar is extending the range on his jumper, and Davis showed great big-to-big passing & rebounding instincts prior to the trade. Even Lowry seemed like less of a malcontent than his reputation suggests.

He holds guys accountable; he canned James Johnson for immature behavior, he's not afraid to bench Ross when he misses defensive assignments (even though the media and fans give him crap for it), and he even called out the refs after we got hosed so many times.

Learning to spread his legs more will just be an added bonus.
    I agree with some of this.. however the accountability thing not so much. I will not forget the 'hell or high water' remark when it came to Bargnani early on in the season.

As for Amir, I think he was great even under Triano... so if anyone deserves credit for Amir's development it should be him.

Post Thanks / Like

K
    Quote feet85 wrote: View Post
    If we were to fire coach casey and get a new coach for whatever reason who would you like to hire? I personally would love to have Jeff Van Gundy as our coach
    Agreed but it sounds like SVG is going to Milwaukee .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    K

Agreed but it sounds like SVG is going to Milwaukee .
    Stan Van Gundy can go whereever he wants its jeff that i want
    #BringBackUzoh

Raptors Republic Rookie Usagi_yo_Jimbo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

IF! Phil Jackson signs on and fires bc and dc. Would he be able to pull Jerry Sloan out of retirement? Cuz, that would be awsome, if not, im cool with Casey.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Usagi_yo_Jimbo wrote: View Post
    IF! Phil Jackson signs on and fires bc and dc. Would he be able to pull Jerry Sloan out of retirement? Cuz, that would be awsome, if not, im cool with Casey.
    I don't see it happening for a number or reasons...

I'm not sure what kind of relationship Sloan and Jackson have, the fact that Jackson's team beat Sloan's teams in the Finals two years in a row ('97, '98) probably makes it complicated.

I'm pretty sure that Jackson would want a coach who runs the triangle, and I don't think Sloan would be down with that.

Also Sloan is easily a top ten (if not top 5) NBA coach of all time, so i'm guessing he'd want a lot of autonomy when it comes to coaching decisions (as he should).

I'm not saying we can't get Sloan, or that we can't get Jackson, but I think they are mutually exclusive.

I think a good question would be, if you have to choose, who would you rather have Jackson as guy calling the front office decisions, or Sloan as your head coach?

I'd be pretty happy if we got Jackson, and would love to see an organization dedicate itself to the triangle offense for over a decade, but truth be told, I'd much rather have Sloan on the bench. He's arguably as good as Pop when it comes to getting his guys to execute and is great with a pick 'n' roll offense, which JV has the tools to be great at.

If we get Jackson, then you let me make a coaching change. If you have a handshake agreement with Sloan, you fire Casey on the spot. Other than that, I'd be happy to give DC one more year.

Coangelo though, can go.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like a coach that is more demanding like Stan Van Gundy. Both Triano and Casey are too soft imo

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I'd like a coach that is more demanding like Stan Van Gundy. Both Triano and Casey are too soft imo
    Because Colangelo hired them. BC doesn't want to rub his players the wrong way, nor does he want a coach with a backbone who would stand up to him, possibly even publicly. I'm pretty sure there's not a single person in the organization who questions this guy, or at least that's what it feels like.

*I know there's really no evidence of that last line, except maybe the fact that Mitchell, the only coach who fit the bill as "hard", was fired basically at the first chance BC got. Mitchell was too hard on players, and too blunt in the media. He very obviously/publicly had a different approach than BC.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun May 5th, 2013 at 07:12 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it's common place to be thoroughly disgusted with BC at this point, and for the most part I am disgusted with the results he's produced, and perhaps with much of the excuses he recycles at the end of each season. However, I just can't imagine that he would intentionally do something that would only yeild negative results like specifically hiring soft coaches. I agree there were more reasons that what was made public for the firing of Mitchell. I mean the guy is the only COY in franchise history, and to let him go that early in the season was weird, but I don't know if it's because he was a tough coach or he had maybe lost the locker room or something because of his toughness. If that is the case then do you blame the coach for being tough, the players for not being tough minded or the GM for deciding to get rid of the coach over the roster that has turned on the coach?

I think you need tough minded players to be coached by a coach that gets on players' asses. Doc Rivers in Boston is a great example of a tough coach and tough minded players. Now if Doc Rivers was to coach the Raptors of the past where it's a single talented player with a bunch of fillers then he may lose the locker too.

Perhaps now though with the team as talented as it's ever been we might be ready for a coach that is more demanding of the players. I've been a Casey backer and still think if he's a good fit for use, but I wouldn't be opposed to having SVG in the coaches seat either. What I don't want to see is a big name coach like a Larry Brown brought in when he's not a good fit at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information