Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Head Coach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I'd like a coach that is more demanding like Stan Van Gundy. Both Triano and Casey are too soft imo
    Amen!
    #BringBackUzoh

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

P.J. Carlisemo was informed today he won't be returning to the Nets next year, so keep in mind, Brooklyn will be looking for a head coach as well.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

If you can't get someone like Jerry Sloan, Stan Van Gundy etc... there is no sense in dropping Casey. Making a sideways move does no good for anyone.

4. Like NoPropsneeded liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    P.J. Carlisemo was informed today he won't be returning to the Nets next year, so keep in mind, Brooklyn will be looking for a head coach as well.
    They are overrated. They looked absolutely terrible in the playoffs. The Bulls were playing hurt the entire time and still beat them
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta keep in mind as well...just because someone is a top assistant (singular focus) does not mean they will translate well into a head coach. I think there might be a reason that people like Patrick Ewing, Brian Shaw etc... haven't got that head coach spot yet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    They are overrated. They looked absolutely terrible in the playoffs. The Bulls were playing hurt the entire time and still beat them
    Chicago is a great example of a situation where the coach matters! Thibs will not let ANYONE quit.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    Chicago is a great example of a situation where the coach matters! Thibs will not let ANYONE quit.
    I wish our team played like that. Only Jonas and Amir bring that type of intensity every night.
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Post Thanks / Like

P.J. might help here. It's no sure thing, but he's a screamer, he knows the city, and he already knows half the players quite well. He is somewhat more of a proven force than Casey. Whether his style of motivating players would work with this roster is not something I would hazard a guess at. But I wouldn't be that surprised if the new GM makes this move.

I do, however, think Casey will be given another year to consolidate his various projects. No one can argue that he has gotten some significant development out of nearly all his young troops. That's gotta count.

Post Thanks / Like

Casey sucks. Bring in a young, creative guy who has a clear idea of what he wants to do and will actually stick with the plan. I don't think i can handle another idiot who wants to pound round pegs into square holes and can't seem to figure out why the team isn't working.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Casey sucks. Bring in a young, creative guy who has a clear idea of what he wants to do and will actually stick with the plan. I don't think i can handle another idiot who wants to pound round pegs into square holes and can't seem to figure out why the team isn't working.
    It's understandable that you're frustrated with the status quo after the season our boys just submitted. But your criteria seem flawed in my view.

First, I don't really see the need for a "young" coach. I think we'd all settle for a great coach, regardless of age. Nobody is complaining that Pop and Carlilse are too old.

Second, you're "stick with the plan" argument is in direct contradition to your "square pegs/round holes" analogy.

When your plan is "Pound the Rock" and you've got Andrea as team leader, there is going to be issues. When your plan is to have your PG finding open guys coming from off-ball screens, but Lowry is running the show, there is going to be issues. When your analytics team is preaching the value of smart, aggressive rotations to all your bosses, but you're trying to not overwhelm Ross & JV, there's going to be issues. When those same analytics guys are explaining that any 3 point shot is effective, but your primary scorers are Rudy and Demar, there is going to be issues. When your front office shakes up the core of the roster mid-season, there is going to be issues. Given all that, your "can't figure out why the team isn't working" agrument falls a bit short, too.

I think Casey's done a decent job of sticking to his principles while adapting to new information and circumstance. Admittedly, it took too long, but Andrea was phased out as team leader. Casey's been riding Kyle to be more efficient when maintaining his aggressive style; using Jose as an effective comp. Casey's been letting Demar take inefficient jumpers (even calling plays for it), in hopes (I believe) that he can build confidence and extend his range to efficient 3PT territory. Casey did well sitting Ross down for bad mistakes, and encouraging JV even though his clumsy over-helping can be infuriating.

I don't want to insinuate that Casey's a COY candidate, or even a successful head coach at this point. And there are certainly areas for him to improve, too; getting back to the prideful, defensive mentality is chief among them. But so long as Casey still has the respect of the rosther (I don't know if he does or not), I don't see to hit the reset button yet again.

12. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    When your higher ups are bringing you here to do the job heres the team, make them play defense, build around this guy hes the franchise (Bargnani) what the hell is Casey supposed to do? No coach in the NBA could save Bargnani from his spiraling free fall.

A young coach? why on Earth would the Raptors hire a young inexperienced guy to coach a bunch of young inexperienced players? How does that make sense?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information