No announcement yet.

Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IF! Phil Jackson signs on and fires bc and dc. Would he be able to pull Jerry Sloan out of retirement? Cuz, that would be awsome, if not, im cool with Casey.

Comment

Usagi_yo_Jimbo wrote: View Post
      IF! Phil Jackson signs on and fires bc and dc. Would he be able to pull Jerry Sloan out of retirement? Cuz, that would be awsome, if not, im cool with Casey.
      I don't see it happening for a number or reasons...

I'm not sure what kind of relationship Sloan and Jackson have, the fact that Jackson's team beat Sloan's teams in the Finals two years in a row ('97, '98) probably makes it complicated.

I'm pretty sure that Jackson would want a coach who runs the triangle, and I don't think Sloan would be down with that.

Also Sloan is easily a top ten (if not top 5) NBA coach of all time, so i'm guessing he'd want a lot of autonomy when it comes to coaching decisions (as he should).

I'm not saying we can't get Sloan, or that we can't get Jackson, but I think they are mutually exclusive.

I think a good question would be, if you have to choose, who would you rather have Jackson as guy calling the front office decisions, or Sloan as your head coach?

I'd be pretty happy if we got Jackson, and would love to see an organization dedicate itself to the triangle offense for over a decade, but truth be told, I'd much rather have Sloan on the bench. He's arguably as good as Pop when it comes to getting his guys to execute and is great with a pick 'n' roll offense, which JV has the tools to be great at.

If we get Jackson, then you let me make a coaching change. If you have a handshake agreement with Sloan, you fire Casey on the spot. Other than that, I'd be happy to give DC one more year.

Coangelo though, can go.
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I'd like a coach that is more demanding like Stan Van Gundy. Both Triano and Casey are too soft imo

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          I'd like a coach that is more demanding like Stan Van Gundy. Both Triano and Casey are too soft imo
          Because Colangelo hired them. BC doesn't want to rub his players the wrong way, nor does he want a coach with a backbone who would stand up to him, possibly even publicly. I'm pretty sure there's not a single person in the organization who questions this guy, or at least that's what it feels like.

*I know there's really no evidence of that last line, except maybe the fact that Mitchell, the only coach who fit the bill as "hard", was fired basically at the first chance BC got. Mitchell was too hard on players, and too blunt in the media. He very obviously/publicly had a different approach than BC.
          Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun May 5, 2013, 07:12 AM.

Comment

I know it's common place to be thoroughly disgusted with BC at this point, and for the most part I am disgusted with the results he's produced, and perhaps with much of the excuses he recycles at the end of each season. However, I just can't imagine that he would intentionally do something that would only yeild negative results like specifically hiring soft coaches. I agree there were more reasons that what was made public for the firing of Mitchell. I mean the guy is the only COY in franchise history, and to let him go that early in the season was weird, but I don't know if it's because he was a tough coach or he had maybe lost the locker room or something because of his toughness. If that is the case then do you blame the coach for being tough, the players for not being tough minded or the GM for deciding to get rid of the coach over the roster that has turned on the coach?

I think you need tough minded players to be coached by a coach that gets on players' asses. Doc Rivers in Boston is a great example of a tough coach and tough minded players. Now if Doc Rivers was to coach the Raptors of the past where it's a single talented player with a bunch of fillers then he may lose the locker too.

Perhaps now though with the team as talented as it's ever been we might be ready for a coach that is more demanding of the players. I've been a Casey backer and still think if he's a good fit for use, but I wouldn't be opposed to having SVG in the coaches seat either. What I don't want to see is a big name coach like a Larry Brown brought in when he's not a good fit at all.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
              Amen!
              #BringBackUzoh

Comment

P.J. Carlisemo was informed today he won't be returning to the Nets next year, so keep in mind, Brooklyn will be looking for a head coach as well.
                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

If you can't get someone like Jerry Sloan, Stan Van Gundy etc... there is no sense in dropping Casey. Making a sideways move does no good for anyone.
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                    P.J. Carlisemo was informed today he won't be returning to the Nets next year, so keep in mind, Brooklyn will be looking for a head coach as well.
                    They are overrated. They looked absolutely terrible in the playoffs. The Bulls were playing hurt the entire time and still beat them

Comment

Gotta keep in mind as well...just because someone is a top assistant (singular focus) does not mean they will translate well into a head coach. I think there might be a reason that people like Patrick Ewing, Brian Shaw etc... haven't got that head coach spot yet
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        They are overrated. They looked absolutely terrible in the playoffs. The Bulls were playing hurt the entire time and still beat them
                        Chicago is a great example of a situation where the coach matters! Thibs will not let ANYONE quit.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                          Chicago is a great example of a situation where the coach matters! Thibs will not let ANYONE quit.
                          I wish our team played like that. Only Jonas and Amir bring that type of intensity every night.

Comment

P.J. might help here. It's no sure thing, but he's a screamer, he knows the city, and he already knows half the players quite well. He is somewhat more of a proven force than Casey. Whether his style of motivating players would work with this roster is not something I would hazard a guess at. But I wouldn't be that surprised if the new GM makes this move.

I do, however, think Casey will be given another year to consolidate his various projects. No one can argue that he has gotten some significant development out of nearly all his young troops. That's gotta count.

Comment

Casey sucks. Bring in a young, creative guy who has a clear idea of what he wants to do and will actually stick with the plan. I don't think i can handle another idiot who wants to pound round pegs into square holes and can't seem to figure out why the team isn't working.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                                Casey sucks. Bring in a young, creative guy who has a clear idea of what he wants to do and will actually stick with the plan. I don't think i can handle another idiot who wants to pound round pegs into square holes and can't seem to figure out why the team isn't working.
                                It's understandable that you're frustrated with the status quo after the season our boys just submitted. But your criteria seem flawed in my view.

First, I don't really see the need for a "young" coach. I think we'd all settle for a great coach, regardless of age. Nobody is complaining that Pop and Carlilse are too old.

Second, you're "stick with the plan" argument is in direct contradition to your "square pegs/round holes" analogy.

When your plan is "Pound the Rock" and you've got Andrea as team leader, there is going to be issues. When your plan is to have your PG finding open guys coming from off-ball screens, but Lowry is running the show, there is going to be issues. When your analytics team is preaching the value of smart, aggressive rotations to all your bosses, but you're trying to not overwhelm Ross & JV, there's going to be issues. When those same analytics guys are explaining that any 3 point shot is effective, but your primary scorers are Rudy and Demar, there is going to be issues. When your front office shakes up the core of the roster mid-season, there is going to be issues. Given all that, your "can't figure out why the team isn't working" agrument falls a bit short, too.

I think Casey's done a decent job of sticking to his principles while adapting to new information and circumstance. Admittedly, it took too long, but Andrea was phased out as team leader. Casey's been riding Kyle to be more efficient when maintaining his aggressive style; using Jose as an effective comp. Casey's been letting Demar take inefficient jumpers (even calling plays for it), in hopes (I believe) that he can build confidence and extend his range to efficient 3PT territory. Casey did well sitting Ross down for bad mistakes, and encouraging JV even though his clumsy over-helping can be infuriating.

I don't want to insinuate that Casey's a COY candidate, or even a successful head coach at this point. And there are certainly areas for him to improve, too; getting back to the prideful, defensive mentality is chief among them. But so long as Casey still has the respect of the rosther (I don't know if he does or not), I don't see to hit the reset button yet again.

Comment

Working...
                                X