Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: Warriors and Raptors

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Warriors and Raptors

    Fact - They basically had the same record at the end of last season. Now, the Warriors are in the 2nd round of the playoffs. And it's looking like this series against the Spurs is going 7 games.

    Raptors on the other hand once again is out of the playoffs.

    Fact - It is much tougher to get into the playoffs in the West than in the Eest because there's so many great teams in the West.

    Another thing, Warriors play their rookies a lot. Mark Jackson is not afraid to use Ezeli or Barnes or Green or even Bazemore in crunch time. In fact, Green and Barnes plays clutch mins for the Warriors every night. Goes back to what Casey said about Jonas a couple of months ago that if the Raps were fighting for a playoff spot, Jonas would likely not get much playing time
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    937
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I mentioned this earlier in the year when we played them, but the Warriors also have an absolutely fantastic cap situation. After next season, they've potentially got Lee, Curry, Barnes, Thompson, Ezeli, and Green signed for about $35 million. They could add a couple $15 million+ star free agents to the mix and still have room under the tax. I don't think there's a team in the league with a brighter future.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not to mention the great weather they enjoy where as we're usually freezing our ass of in Toronto, and the beautiful waterfronts they have and their taxes are also lower. And the women...fogetaboutit!!!

    But in all seriousness their franchise was as much a joke as ours is now, but once the new ownership took hold of things they did a great job of righting the ship. Lets hope once Bell/Rogers have a chance to fully invest themselves they can do the same. They're already bringing in what I guess would be considered the cream of the crop in Tim Leiweke to oversee things. Starts from the top down.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,381
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Curry only played in half his games last year, which explains their poor record. But GSW has a very exciting team and if Curry's ankles don't give out on him they will always be a threat.

    Talent means a lot, and they lucked out by drafting Curry and then winning the coin flip last year. If they lost that coin flip to the Raptors, then I believe their pick would have gone to Utah as it was top 7 protected which means no Barnes and their future would have looked a little bleaker.

    Bogut was (and still is) a gamble, but he's an expiring now next year.

    In 2014 they will have a lot of cap space and some of the best free agents could be available. GSW fans have a lot to be happy about.. too bad us Raptors fans have to continue to suffer.

  5. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
  6. #5
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Fact - The only reason Golden State had such a poor record last season was because of Curry's health situation.
    With a healthy Curry AND Bogut, its no surprise they are they team they are.
    In Masai we Trust.

  7. Like ReubenJRD, Rapstor4Life liked this post
  8. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Fact - The only reason Golden State had such a poor record last season was because of Curry's health situation.
    With a healthy Curry AND Bogut, its no surprise they are they team they are.
    seriously this

    fact-Barnes and Drewmore are only playing more because of injuries its just a plus that they are playing well despite being rookies.

    fact-Having a lights out shooter like Steph will do that.

    fact-Warriors dont have Bargnani...........

  9. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Curry only played in half his games last year, which explains their poor record. But GSW has a very exciting team and if Curry's ankles don't give out on him they will always be a threat.

    Talent means a lot, and they lucked out by drafting Curry and then winning the coin flip last year. If they lost that coin flip to the Raptors, then I believe their pick would have gone to Utah as it was top 7 protected which means no Barnes and their future would have looked a little bleaker.

    Bogut was (and still is) a gamble, but he's an expiring now next year.

    In 2014 they will have a lot of cap space and some of the best free agents could be available. GSW fans have a lot to be happy about.. too bad us Raptors fans have to continue to suffer.
    The coinflip was only half luck; they got into that position by performing one of the most astonishing tank jobs in the history of the universe.

    Bogut might be a gamble, but between Ellis and Bogut, that's an easy gamble. Even though Bogut isn't the player he once was, he's getting awfully close on defense which is an elite big man defender on par with Gasol, Chandler en Howard. If he leaves or is injured again they will take a step back.

  10. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A big part of their jump is that the Warriors were intentionally trying to lose their games for the last quarter of 2012. That's not hyperbole either; I remember hearing a podcast with Lee & Curry where they said that the Warriors basically held them out of games down the stretch to ensure that they wouldn't finish out of the bottom 8 and have to give up their pick.

    On top of that, Curry had his healthiest season to date and took a huge leap in his game. Bogut was still banged up a lot but at least he was a contributor at times... You couldn't say that last year. They added Jack who had a great season for them. Green, Ezeli and Barnes all played a role as rookies. I'd be thrilled as a Warriors fan going forward given their cap situation. As a Raptors fan I'm depressed.

  11. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    554
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Honestly, I'm okay with Ross over Barnes (although not the topic of the thread). At this point, TRoss has shown glimpses of a crazy high ceiling - where he may surpass Harrison who had a better rookie year.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  12. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Honestly, I'm okay with Ross over Barnes (although not the topic of the thread). At this point, TRoss has shown glimpses of a crazy high ceiling - where he may surpass Harrison who had a better rookie year.
    i guess. not that you can do much about it now...but had barnes been available, he'd have been the pick (or at least, i assume that's the case. BC isn't that far gone, is he?). i like ross too, but there's just so much duplication between him & DD, i'm not sure what the point was then in taking ross...and i have no idea what to make of it now that gay is in the mix.

    wtf is going on? i assume the intention wasn't to create a laughably overpaid team loaded with inefficient volume chuckers, but here we are...
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

  13. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    All it takes is looking at the payroll. Steph Curry at $12m for the next 5 years looks close to a steal or at least worth every penny. Meanwhile you see similar numbers next to DeRozan and a little bit of your lunch comes back up into your mouth. You fight the gag reflex and swallow, only to see the salaries of Gay, Bargnani and Fields and then the urge hits a new level and your lunch and breakfast is all over the monitor.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  14. Like Fully liked this post
  15. #12
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    All it takes is looking at the payroll. Steph Curry at $12m for the next 5 years looks close to a steal or at least worth every penny. Meanwhile you see similar numbers next to DeRozan and a little bit of your lunch comes back up into your mouth.
    If Demar continues on his path of growth, and continues to be the Iron Man that he has been, hardly missing any games; then I see his contract being worth every penny. For Curry, he's got to get through a full season first, in my opinion. The guys ankles are worse than Mr. Glass from Unbreakable.
    In Masai we Trust.

  16. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
  17. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    All it takes is looking at the payroll. Steph Curry at $12m for the next 5 years looks close to a steal or at least worth every penny. Meanwhile you see similar numbers next to DeRozan and a little bit of your lunch comes back up into your mouth. You fight the gag reflex and swallow, only to see the salaries of Gay, Bargnani and Fields and then the urge hits a new level and your lunch and breakfast is all over the monitor.
    According to HoopsHype Curry is due to make $9.9, $10.6, $11.3, and $12.1 mil over the next four seasons. Yep, thats value! Curry's contract, of course, is more reflective of his actual play from previous seasons than what he might do in years to come. Oh, if BC had signed him he would certainly be making $15mil+ next season, but it would still look incredible next to Brags and Gay. Wow, hard to believe that Bargs will make more than Curry in the next two seasons. I'm not yet ready to bash DeRozan's contract, I'll wait to see how he performs next season, I still think he can live up to it. Nonetheless, it reflects BC's perceived potential of DeRozan, not his actual play from previous seasons, which appears to be in contrast to Curry's extension.

  18. Like Letter N liked this post
  19. #14
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    If Demar continues on his path of growth, and continues to be the Iron Man that he has been, hardly missing any games; then I see his contract being worth every penny. For Curry, he's got to get through a full season first, in my opinion. The guys ankles are worse than Mr. Glass from Unbreakable.
    Iron Man is only useful when the player is actually good. I don't care if DeRozan plays 100% of all available games, he's just not very good.

    Curry hasn't start his extension yet and his team is into the 2nd round of the NBA playoffs. I'd like to hear your prediction as to when DeRozan leads us there. Fact is he never will because he's not the best player on this team (or if he is, we'll never make the playoffs).
    your pal,
    ebrian

  20. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    All it takes is looking at the payroll. Steph Curry at $12m for the next 5 years looks close to a steal or at least worth every penny. Meanwhile you see similar numbers next to DeRozan and a little bit of your lunch comes back up into your mouth. You fight the gag reflex and swallow, only to see the salaries of Gay, Bargnani and Fields and then the urge hits a new level and your lunch and breakfast is all over the monitor.
    I'm sure both Steph Curry and his agent are kicking themselves in the ass over that. His play in the playoffs has made him a max contract player imo.

  21. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,761
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I'm sure both Steph Curry and his agent are kicking themselves in the ass over that. His play in the playoffs has made him a max contract player imo.
    They may be kicking themselves....I think they'd be kicking themselves even harder if they had turned down an extension and Curry re-injured his ankle. He had to take the money that was on the table given his injury history.

  22. #17
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I don't care if DeRozan plays 100% of all available games, he's just not very good.
    Arguments like this are ridiculous, as there's very little room left for a response or rebuttal.

    So, I will simply say that there are ALOT of Basketball minds in the NBA who disagree with you. Adamantly.
    Last edited by Joey; Tue May 7th, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

  23. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Arguments like this are ridiculous, as there's very little room left for a response or rebuttal.

    So, I will simply say that there are ALOT of Basketball minds in the NBA who disagree with you.
    List them. Just list them out, quote some articles written about how good DeRozan is. I don't need to know that he can stay healthy or that he works hard. Show cold hard stats.
    Last edited by ebrian; Tue May 7th, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  24. #19
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    List them.
    How about you list one that agrees with your stance that "Demar isn't very good".


    But I'll play into your game a little bit; here's a quote from Doc Rivers:
    "I don’t think people notice him — not because they are in Toronto, but because of their record,” Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. “I think people are sleeping on him a lot. He makes jump shots. He defends. He’s a total basketball player.”
    Last edited by Joey; Tue May 7th, 2013 at 03:39 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

  25. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    How about you list one that agrees with your stance that "Demar isn't very good".
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...ension-edition

    You're up next.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •