View Poll Results: Who do you think will be next GM of the Toronto Raptors?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phil Jackson

2 4.55%
  • Masai Ujiri

23 52.27%
  • Kevin Pritchard

6 13.64%
  • Troy Weaver

6 13.64%
  • David Morway

1 2.27%
  • Ed Stefanski

5 11.36%
  • Other (please name names)

1 2.27%
Page 22 of 57 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER. pack all that false hope with ya!

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    Hasn't Toronto always been profitable regardless of who ran the team?

I posted this in the other thread so I won't go into detail, but I don't like the idea of any potential conflicts that could arise from this (and I don't mean conflicts of aggression - but of interest, decision making, conscience etc).
    Basketball is a business and bc likely excels in the non-basketball parts. If they are saying he has no role in basketball decisions moving forward then who am I to doubt? If Ujiri is brought in with full basketball authority might be bounce ideas off Bc, assuming they are tight, whether he works for MLSE or not? Also BC has basically said we are trading Bargnani, not sure what conflicts arise there.

I am not swing the big deal. Seems like they are doing off the court what guys should be doing on the court which is playing to their strengths.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll wait until I hear exactly what the role is before rushing to judgement. The quotes thus far say that he will be kept on at MLSE, with nothing specific about the Raptors. It would make sense to keep him in MLSE at a non-Raptors-specific level, where he can use his various corporate skills and experience to help out wherever necessary, as a sort of right-hand man to Leiweke.

Or, if this is just a placeholder move until he's picked up by another organization, that's fine too but I don't think it's necessary.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Bryan Colangelo becomes the Bert Cooper of the Raptors! Go figure.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Basketball is a business and bc likely excels in the non-basketball parts. If they are saying he has no role in basketball decisions moving forward then who am I to doubt? If Ujiri is brought in with full basketball authority might be bounce ideas off Bc, assuming they are tight, whether he works for MLSE or not? Also BC has basically said we are trading Bargnani, not sure what conflicts arise there.

I am not swing the big deal. Seems like they are doing off the court what guys should be doing on the court which is playing to their strengths.
    It doesn't matter to me what would, could or should happen. Its a matter of leaving the potential there.

(ps. regarding the Bargnani example, Colangelo saying he is trading Bargnani has no impact on the conflict I was referring to)

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Next GM of the Raps? who do you want??

Everyone's talking about Ujiri. What people needs to remember is that he inherited an already great team in Denver with a Hall of Fame coach in George Karl. Sure he got a great return for Melo(definitely learned from Colangelo's mistake). But all the pieces were already there when he came to Denver. So it's hard for me to say that he's a "great" GM. I really don't care about the "Executive of the Year " award.

Who i want to see as the next GM of the Raps? The great Larry Bird.

The Indiana Pacers team that you see today? Bird assembled/built that team. From coaching staff to the players. The guy is a great basketball mind. He knows how to win and knows what it takes to win.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

We are going to have pie all over our face if Ujiri turns down the Raps. It'll just be another black eye for this organization. I'm sure Denver will do all they can to retain him, but they'll probably won't be willing to match the Raps price. We'll see.

I don't really get keeping BC around, but at least he won't be pres/GM anymore.

Raptors Republic Rookie swingman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So this way, Raps can keep him away from running things and utilise his one talent (offloading terrible contracts like the sleazy used-car salesman he is) whenever it's needed?
    That's a good thing, right?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    It doesn't matter to me what would, could or should happen. Its a matter of leaving the potential there.

(ps. regarding the Bargnani example, Colangelo saying he is trading Bargnani has no impact on the conflict I was referring to)
    Who says he does anything raptor related at all? Mlse is a pretty big organization with hands in numerous ventures.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Who says he does anything raptor related at all? Mlse is a pretty big organization with hands in numerous ventures.
    I never said he would or wouldn't. (although given he's from a basketball family, and worked the vast majority of his adult life in the basketball industry I highly doubt his job will no longer affiliate him with the basketball team). That doesn't keep the potential for a conflict or influence any less real.

Just my two cents though

Post Thanks / Like

Having a new GM is great news. It is a good start and I am happy it has been done. Now, it will be up to the new guy to properly clean house throughout the organization in a way that makes sense and brings the proper changes.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Everyone's talking about Ujiri. What people needs to remember is that he inherited an already great team in Denver with a Hall of Fame coach in George Karl. Sure he got a great return for Melo(definitely learned from Colangelo's mistake). But all the pieces were already there when he came to Denver. So it's hard for me to say that he's a "great" GM. I really don't care about the "Executive of the Year " award.

Who i want to see as the next GM of the Raps? The great Larry Bird.

The Indiana Pacers team that you see today? Bird assembled/built that team. From coaching staff to the players. The guy is a great basketball mind. He knows how to win and knows what it takes to win.
    Koufos- Ujiri trade
    Faried- Ujiri pick
    Gallinari- Ujiri trade
    Iguodala- Ujiri trade
    Lawson
    McGee- Ujiri trade
    Chandler- Ujiri trade
    Brewer- Ujiri trade
    Fournier- Ujiri pick
    Miller- Ujiri trade

13. Like ceez, ReubenJRD, Sig, Primer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ujiri is definitely a great GM. Wonder if he can flip Gay when his contract is ending for half the random he got for Melo.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    I'll wait until I hear exactly what the role is before rushing to judgement. The quotes thus far say that he will be kept on at MLSE, with nothing specific about the Raptors. It would make sense to keep him in MLSE at a non-Raptors-specific level, where he can use his various corporate skills and experience to help out wherever necessary, as a sort of right-hand man to Leiweke.

Or, if this is just a placeholder move until he's picked up by another organization, that's fine too but I don't think it's necessary.
    Remember jay Triano was kept on as a 'consultant'.....

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man what a glorious day.

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    Oh man what a glorious day.
    Sadly, just for Raptors fans.

#PrayForOklahoma

18. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough spot

We need to remember that Ujiri got off to a great start with the Melo trade in Denver. If he comes here he won't have that kind of asset to move. Toronto is a tougher gig.

Quote bobbybutler wrote: View Post
    Koufos- Ujiri trade
    Faried- Ujiri pick
    Gallinari- Ujiri trade
    Iguodala- Ujiri trade
    Lawson
    McGee- Ujiri trade
    Chandler- Ujiri trade
    Brewer- Ujiri trade
    Fournier- Ujiri pick
    Miller- Ujiri trade
    No doubt he's a hot commodity. I'm curious how he could possibly turn the Raptors around quickly. If he can get decent value for Bargnani right now I'd be amazed.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Larry Bird is the guy they SHOULD pursue.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Larry Bird is the guy they SHOULD pursue.
    Bird retired from the Indiana gig citing health problems. What makes you think he'd want to come back now?

22. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Basketball operations is separate from other business functions like marketing, corporate partnerships, etc. Bryan Colangelo's knack for BS'ing can go well in marketing and he strikes me as someone who excels in the boardroom with his confident boardroom bullsh!t. No shame in moving on to a different position with the company and I actually think he would be useful as an executive behind the scenes, taking care of some business function -- whether its corporate sales, marketing & ticket sales, community relations, media relations, finance -- for the ever expanding juggernaut that is the MLSE.

I'm happy that the Raptors can get a fresh GM with different ideas and philosophy && BC should be happy that he only needs to BS the board room -- & not the fans. I wish him well in his new role.
    Last edited by torch19; Mon May 20th, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Page 22 of 57 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread Information