View Poll Results: Who do you think will be next GM of the Toronto Raptors?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phil Jackson

2 4.55%
  • Masai Ujiri

23 52.27%
  • Kevin Pritchard

6 13.64%
  • Troy Weaver

6 13.64%
  • David Morway

1 2.27%
  • Ed Stefanski

5 11.36%
  • Other (please name names)

1 2.27%
Page 26 of 57 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    He makes a solid point. What new GM will want to work here, with the former GM above him and watching everything he does? ESPECIALLY if it's Ujiri?
    Another interesting point, which I hadn't really considered: by replacing Colangelo, management is essentially saying that they do not believe in the team that he's built, and that the incumbent should make major changes.

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont believe Im being pushed off into a corner somewhere, Colangelo said. I think Im going to be used in a fashion that my 18 years of experience is going to be tapped into, not just by Tim but by the new GM.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They say that "Denial" is the first stage of grief and loss.

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't give two shits if BC is the president. The new GM will be making the basketball decisions, and that's all I really care about

5. Like Mack North liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I may be the only one happy that BC is still here, like it or not its a good move and if it doesnt work they can fire him, BC has a lot of connections that can benefit the Raps even if it didnt pan out with him calling the shots and building the team it can help the organization as a whole. All because fans either dont respect him or like doesnt mean he isnt loved and admired by his peers in the league which is what really matters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    There is probably a huge payout (severance) owed to him if he were to get axed. By relocating him to a different role it's much less expensive to the organization. That's my guess.

This demotion may spur him to leave on his own terms and in doing so they're off the hook. Maybe Lieweke is referring to the fact that playing the waiting game with Colangelo didn't get him blinking first? This is all pure speculation on my part.
    The whole thing is odd. Your speculation is as good as any, although, my understanding is that the team had an option, so, presumably it wouldn't have cost them anything to not exersice it.

I suspect it's partly to allow BC to look for another job, get paid, and not have the stigma of a firing. We did this at my old law firm when we'd fire lawyers (even crappy ones). Instead of severance, they'd let the guy hang around for 3 months doing nothing until he got another job. The firm could say it didn't fire anyone and the guy got to say he left on his own terms....

Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Putting aside the re-branding stuff, wasn't this one of the most bizarre morning of pressers in Raptors history?

The president of MLSE comes out and announces that the GM is being fired but staying on a president. Even though (as TL pointed out 1,000,000 times) he will have no say in basketball decisions BUT, they are keeping him for his knowledge EVEN THOUGH it wasn't ideal how things worked out. Then he whacks BC a few times before going on a stream of consciousness about re-branding the team and building stuff.

Then, BC comes up and says TL mischaracterized his feelings about being fired and admits he's disappointed in the whole thing. Followed by the bizarre spectacle of having a recently fired GM talk about his new role in a club where he has no say but is being kept on for his experience and knowledge.

I have been watching sports for 30 years and this is one of the strangest management happenings I have ever seen.

Oh, and by the way, they still don't have a GM....
    Great wrap-up.

Is Tim Leiweke the new Colangelo?

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/05/21/toronto-raptors-are-drowning-under-a-massive-tidal-wave-of-egos-and-indecision/

Post Thanks / Like

The whole thing is odd. Your speculation is as good as any, although, my understanding is that the team had an option, so, presumably it wouldn't have cost them anything to not exersice it.

I suspect it's partly to allow BC to look for another job, get paid, and not have the stigma of a firing. We did this at my old law firm when we'd fire lawyers (even crappy ones). Instead of severance, they'd let the guy hang around for 3 months doing nothing until he got another job. The firm could say it didn't fire anyone and the guy got to say he left on his own terms....
    You and Apollo have good speculation going.

Like players, he might have had guaranteed money atached if the contract was not picked up.

Some of Leiweke comments were really strange. I have been travelling the last week. Looking forward to getting home to get as much info that I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this not the Brian Burke situation 2.0?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Another interesting point, which I hadn't really considered: by replacing Colangelo, management is essentially saying that they do not believe in the team that he's built, and that the incumbent should make major changes.
    ... you could make that point about literally every single GM change outside of ones following the tragic death of the GM in question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Drake_Marcus wrote: View Post
    ... you could make that point about literally every single GM change outside of ones following the tragic death of the GM in question.
    Except that in this case, the GM is sticking around as the president. Which means that he's going to be overseeing (kind of? or whatever the hell it is he'll be doing) his own team getting dismantled. Which will be incredibly awkward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    You and Apollo have good speculation going.

Like players, he might have had guaranteed money atached if the contract was not picked up.

Some of Leiweke comments were really strange. I have been travelling the last week. Looking forward to getting home to get as much info that I can.
    Added to the strangeness is the fact that he made BC rep the Raptors at the lottery. I wonder if he had someone cut off his balls as well.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raps talent level is good organic growth again talking about some tweaks. The main players he mentions JV, Rudy Gay and DeMar DeRozan.

focal point of the team though obviously things wont start getting interesting till the new GM is in town and the playoffs are over.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    Is this not the Brian Burke situation 2.0?
    The whole part of it being a complete mess, out of hand and a little crazy? Yes.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a Tannenbaum induced arrangement. Given that from many accounts he has been one of Colangelo's biggest supporters over the years, and was rather vocal about resigning BC the last time his contract came up (despite some OTPP board members not being as convinced). On the flip side, to paraphrase a tweet "this was not what Tim L. wanted" and Tim L's rather emphatic 'he's not touching basketball or else' style discussion at the press conference. It may not be much of a stretch to think that Tannenbaum was able to convince Rogers/Bell to keep Colangelo in a role against Tim L's wishes.

Whether it came down to optics (as you mentioned), contractual reason (as Apollo mentioned - although I do doubt an option in a contract came with a buy out clause, although who knows. You see some very weird clauses in non-regulated contracts) or simply out of friendship, I'm not sure.

But I can say I disliked this set up a couple days ago when BC was going into a 'corporate role', and now that BC is easily within in ear shot of decision makers, with his guys still manning the HQ (for now anyways), I like it even less.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Except that in this case, the GM is sticking around as the president. Which means that he's going to be overseeing (kind of? or whatever the hell it is he'll be doing) his own team getting dismantled. Which will be incredibly awkward.
    To be blunt, I'd be shocked to see this team get dismantled, atleast this offseason or during this coming year, UNLESS they bomb the first half of next season. No matter who the next GM is.

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

this whole this is so perfectly MLSE-ish, TL seems to have picked up on how they operate (as bass-ackwards as possible) pretty quickly.

why was BC retained? well, i guess it's for appearances...we know he's a smooth operator, with friends on the board, so he must have had enough cache to sway at least a couple people his way; agree with others that this is more than likely temporary until he can hoodwink another team into hiring him.

who will they hire as GM? anyone's guess. ujiri makes sense, i suppose...i was disappointed they 'let' him go in the first place, but he was ready to move up, and the offer from the nuggs was there, and TO had BC entrenched. i really don't get some of the (dumb) arguments being made here that ujiri returning to TO would be an act of disloyalty to the nuggs. sorry, but while the nuggs gave him his 'first' shot (as GM), he was also the lowest-paid GM in the L (perhaps warranted, given his experience, but still). plus, this is SPORTS...what is loyalty? weaver is a guy i was hoping for a couple years ago, and still think he'd be a top-notch option, but would he want to join this organization, with this roster, and with this mess of a management situation, as his first GM job?

where do they go from here? who the fuck knows. they're in a tough position, with some virtually untradeable assets who are highly overpaid for what they provide (gay, fields, bargs), some assets who are very, very tradeable because they are awesome, cheap & have great potential (ok, AN asset - JV), with pretty much everyone else on the roster (under contract) as kind of meh. lowry was supposed to offer great value, but who really knows now. derozan? please. amir's the only guy not on a rookie deal you can point to on this roster and say is absolutely worth what he's making...but who knows if that will hold up?

so, no picks, no available cash, overpaid players, management situation in flux, potential lame-duck head coach (and staff). seems like a great situation.

the more things change...
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my favorite part of the article:

Leiweke addressed concerns that keeping Colangelo around would complicate things for any new hire by stressing that the new GM will have complete authority on basketball matters and will report directly to Leiweke, not Colangelo.

''If anyone ultimately disrupts that process, then I'll clean it up,'' Leiweke said.

Colangelo said he understood the message from his new boss.

''The bottom line is, if I get in the way, I'm not going to be around,'' he said.
    Fun times.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    where do they go from here? who the fuck knows. they're in a tough position, with some virtually untradeable assets who are highly overpaid for what they provide (gay, fields, bargs), some assets who are very, very tradeable because they are awesome, cheap & have great potential (ok, AN asset - JV), with pretty much everyone else on the roster (under contract) as kind of meh. lowry was supposed to offer great value, but who really knows now. derozan? please. amir's the only guy not on a rookie deal you can point to on this roster and say is absolutely worth what he's making...but who knows if that will hold up?

so, no picks, no available cash, overpaid players, management situation in flux, potential lame-duck head coach (and staff). seems like a great situation.
    Think about what a GM lives for though, and you realize this is the perfect opportunity. A general manager in sports really is the clean up guy. It's Newman from Seinfeld, whose solution to Elaine's excess muffin stumps is to bring in a few jugs of milk. Or "The Wolf" from Pulp Fiction, called in to clean up an accidental shooting to the face and a blood-soaked car. A GM enters a bad situation and tries to make it good again. That's what they live for.

It's the same reason Tim Leiweke came here in the first place. He sees Toronto's potential, sees the mess we're in and wants to be the guy credited for turning it around.

Imagine if you were a GM, and you just inherited the Miami Heat. There wouldn't be a whole lot to do. You might win a bunch of championships, but ultimately your resume wouldn't say a lot because someone else assembled that team. The job of Heat GM would be to keep everything status quo. I think the reason the Raptors could be perceived as a dream scenario for a GM is because of the mess, not in spite of it.
    Last edited by ebrian; Wed May 22nd, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    To be blunt, I'd be shocked to see this team get dismantled, atleast this offseason or during this coming year, UNLESS they bomb the first half of next season. No matter who the next GM is.
    I tend to agree, although, after the last couple of days, I have no idea what they are thinking/doing. At this point, nothing would surprise me. The entrance of Rogers/Bell doesn't seem to have made much of a difference early on for the Raptors - looks a lot like the same old, same old MLSE.

Page 26 of 57 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast

Thread Information