View Poll Results: Who do you think will be next GM of the Toronto Raptors?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phil Jackson

2 4.55%
  • Masai Ujiri

23 52.27%
  • Kevin Pritchard

6 13.64%
  • Troy Weaver

6 13.64%
  • David Morway

1 2.27%
  • Ed Stefanski

5 11.36%
  • Other (please name names)

1 2.27%
Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1138

Thread: Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

any chance we can get rid of rob ford in that trade too? we keep the crack though.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So what if...Masai can acquire a defensively minded big, to play in the rotation with JV and Amir, and make sure that when Bargs is on the floor it's only with Gay, Fields, Lowry, and the previously referred to big.

That might be a good enough defensive 4 to compensate for Bargs, who then would be freed up to simply be a scorer. If he is shooting well, he stays on the floor. If not, Fields comes off, Demar goes in and JV and Amir go in.

This give Bargs an opportunity to simply show his ability and increase his value. Masai them makes the trade and gets back something (picks and pieces?). Who would do it? Some team that has defensive capability but needs a big that can shoot from outside and doesn't have to play very well defensively except in a man-to-man face up situation.

I don't think he can make a trade for Bargs unless the big fellow can show something, and all he's got is his scoring ability (which has been MIA for a year and a half now...got to give him a chance to find it somehow).

Post Thanks / Like

When you look at Casey's defensive schemes, keeping Bargnani just doesn't make sense. Bargnani can only defend his guy. Any scheme that forces him to switch in the post like a flex-zone he's in trouble. He'd be better off in a strict man system. Since it looks like Casey is staying moving him before he is exposed is the best solution.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    When you look at Casey's defensive schemes, keeping Bargnani just doesn't make sense. Bargnani can only defend his guy. Any scheme that forces him to switch in the post like a flex-zone he's in trouble. He'd be better off in a strict man system. Since it looks like Casey is staying moving him before he is exposed is the best solution.
    Not playing him would help too
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

With the number of times Ujiri mentioned hiring a staff I have been anxiously waiting to hear names. And here's the first: Marc Stein is reporting via twitter that Ujiri is trying hard to get Jeff Weltman out of Milwaukee (Assistant GM).

All I know about him is he was a finalist for the Suns GM position. I would love to hear more from people in the know!

Post Thanks / Like

It feels like he's compiling the avengers....

7. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    With the number of times Ujiri mentioned hiring a staff I have been anxiously waiting to hear names. And here's the first: Marc Stein is reporting via twitter that Ujiri is trying hard to get Jeff Weltman out of Milwaukee (Assistant GM).

All I know about him is he was a finalist for the Suns GM position. I would love to hear more from people in the know!

Who is Jeff Weltman? The Bucks write up on him from 2008:

MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee Bucks have named Jeff Weltman to the position of Assistant General Manager, General Manager John Hammond announced today. Weltman comes to the Bucks after spending the 2007-08 season with the Detroit Pistons where he worked along side Hammond as the director of basketball administration.

“Jeff is a hard-working and respected NBA front office executive,” said Hammond. “He has a keen eye for talent, a tireless work ethic and a strong knowledge of the league’s salary cap structure. I value his input and look forward to continuing our relationship in Milwaukee.”

Weltman spent one season in Detroit and was responsible for coordinating the team’s draft preparation, scouting efforts, scouting schedules, and free agent visits. He joined the Pistons after spending five seasons as the assistant general manager with the Denver Nuggets where he helped develop the Nuggets into a team that ended an eight-year play-off drought in 2003-04 and won 49 games in 2004-05.

“I’m excited to join the Milwaukee Bucks organization and grateful to Senator Kohl and John Hammond for the opportunity,” said Weltman.

The 43-year-old began his NBA career in 1988 as a video coordinator with the Los Angeles Clippers. He quickly rose through the organization’s ranks and served as the club’s Director of Player Personnel from 1994-2001. He worked closely with Hammond during the 1990-93 and 2000-01 seasons when the Bucks General Manager was an assistant coach for the Clippers (under Larry Brown from ’90-93 and under Alvin Gentry from ’00-01). In all, the New York native owns 19 years of NBA experience.

Weltman graduated from Oberlin College in Oberlin, Ohio in 1987. He and his wife, Alexis, have twin daughters, Lucy and J.J., who will turn three years old this May.

http://www.nba.com/bucks/news/weltman_080418.html
    Another person with ties to the Nuggets.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Who is Jeff Weltman? The Bucks write up on him from 2008:

Another person with ties to the Nuggets.
    I read this morning that Weltman was the person who advocated for the Nuggets to hire Ujiri as a scout. He was the one who first brought Masai to Denver. Talk about paying it forward!

10. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    I read this morning that Weltman was the person who advocated for the Nuggets to hire Ujiri as a scout. He was the one who first brought Masai to Denver. Talk about paying it forward!
    Yes! Just about to post that:

In 2002, Ujiri was accompanying a young Nigerian player to a draft tryout in Orlando and met John Gabriel, who was the Magic GM at the time and who was impressed with Ujiri’s extensive knowledge of international players.

The following year, Ujiri agreed to become an unpaid scout for the NBA team and he used his own financial resources travelling to tournaments around the world, rooming with fellow scouts and players when he could to save money.

It was during that year that he met Jeff Weltman, then a young executive with the Denver Nuggets, who in turn introduced Ujiri to Kiki Vandeweghe, Denver’s former GM. Vandeweghe hired Ujiri on salary as an international scout.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle12357612/
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A good chance Ujiri gets his guy probably during the end of the week. Milwaukee doesn't have much to be excited about next year and the early playoff exit is pretty much going back to stage 1 of rebuild.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the talent evaluating portion of the resume especially. This has been especially weak in the BC era...meaning no nuggets were mined (no pun intended) especially in the 2nd rd. and the 1sts' were meh other than JV and he fell into our laps. I autocue mentally to Jim Kelly when Raptors talent eval. is the subject.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he did a good job with the Bucks. I like their team a lot, even if its just a mishmash of average players, at least its a step up from BC's mishmash of god awful players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    I think he did a good job with the Bucks. I like their team a lot, even if its just a mishmash of average players, at least its a step up from BC's mishmash of god awful players.
    I just can't believe what they did with Tobias Harris.

Henson and Sanders were great picks in recent years.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    Are you kidding me? BC wasn't very good but this team has way more talent than the mediocre bucks team.
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I just can't believe what they did with Tobias Harris.
    He has the makings of a star, so much talent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    He has the makings of a star, so much talent
    I guarantee you that Tobias Harris will never be an allstar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    That is probably true.

However he had way too much talent to sit on the bench in Milwaukee. I think he had more value that 30-35 games of JJ Redick.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

If you listen to the interview on RR homepage with Ujiri and Devlin, there is a real and (in my opinion) important difference between Ujiri and Colangelo/Casey.

Colangelo/Casey both have their idea of how the game of basketball should be played (ironically it seems that BC and DC have opposite views). Despite different views, both BC/DC stick with what they think is the "right" way whether the roster is built for it or not (or maybe "come hell or high water"). BC and DC are the epitome of putting square pegs in round holes.

Ujiri on the other hand acknowledges he has a style he would like to play but it might not always work with what you have and therefore you've got to work with what you are given.

Might not be a big deal but I think it is a stark contrast to BC and DC.
    Tim Leiweke

21. Like ceez liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    He's only 20 years old with tons of talent, and put up pretty impressive numbers with Orlando. I didn't say he'd be an all-star but it's hard to argue that his ceiling is pretty high

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

That is probably true.

However he had way too much talent to sit on the bench in Milwaukee. I think he had more value that 30-35 games of JJ Redick.
    Right, though it's difficult to say what the role of an assistant GM was in either drafting Harris or in trading him away. Perhaps Weltman was the one who wanted to draft Harris in the first place, and argued against the Redick trade. Or perhaps Weltman never liked Harris and was constantly in Hammond's ear about trading him. Except for a few well-publicized examples, I don't think us fans ever get much of a sense of what an assistant GM is or is not responsible for... their job generally depends on not publicly second-guessing their GM.

If the first scenario is true, then perhaps Weltman is frustrated with Milwaukee making knee-jerk reactions to get themselves into the eighth seed, and would prefer working with Ujiri to develop a talent-base from the ground up.

Thread Information