View Poll Results: Who do you think will be next GM of the Toronto Raptors?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phil Jackson

2 4.55%
  • Masai Ujiri

23 52.27%
  • Kevin Pritchard

6 13.64%
  • Troy Weaver

6 13.64%
  • David Morway

1 2.27%
  • Ed Stefanski

5 11.36%
  • Other (please name names)

1 2.27%
Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57
Results 1,121 to 1,138 of 1138

Thread: Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Post Thanks / Like

I mean his teams have only made the playoffs 22 times, no big deal...

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Some more kind words about Masai

...and another friend in the GM ranks it seems:

Denver Nuggets president Josh Kroenke introduced his new Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations aka the general manager today at Pepsi Center. Media members speculated on just how long this press conference might last, turns out Tim Connelly got to his points quick - like the Nuggets offense?

Now, let's read through the tea leaves, if we can, on what Connelly said today.

Tim Connelly: First of all, I want to thank Josh and the entire Kroenke family for this opportunity. I want to thank my dear friend Masai Ujiri, who left the house in such good order. It's big shoes to fill. I think often times, in situations like this, the theme of the day is change. Today, I want to talk about growth. There's a culture that already ingrained here, a winning culture. It's a heck of a team that I'm inheriting - 57 wins. It's chock full of talent. It's a very supportive ownership and it's a great city.

What can we get from this statement? It came as a surprise to me that Connelly is very close with Ujiri. That should ease some minds right there. I don't think Masai would be hanging out with just anybody ... (sarcasm font). In all seriousness, to me this shows that Tim is indeed a world traveler. He probably crossed paths with Masai on many scouting trips and built a relationship from there. Connelly has been talked about as a tireless worker (from his former boss in New Orleans Dell Demps) and this bodes well for the Nuggets.

If you got the chance to listen to Masai and Pete D'Alessandro's press conferences with the Raptors and Kings, respectively, then you know what Tim meany by "in situations like this, the theme of the day is change". Both Masai and Pete have moved on to difficult situations where a lot of moves need to be made.

http://www.denverstiffs.com/2013/6/2...r-tim-connelly

Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So its been about I dunno a month and a half since Ujiri took over? And he already seems to have a way better connection with Casey than the guy who actually hired him. Casey wanted toughness, and shooting off the bench.

Ujirir responded in kind getting him Psycho.T not many guys tougher and wanting to do the dirty work than Hansborough and he got Steve Novak 3 point shooting. It just seems BC was too concerned and delusional about Bargnani hopefully breaking out than addressing any needs the head coach had....Dom McGuire is not the answer BC....

DC: Our team needs toughness and shooting
    BC: Bargnani has all that thats why hes the leader of this team
    DC: ........

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    So its been about I dunno a month and a half since Ujiri took over? And he already seems to have a way better connection with Casey than the guy who actually hired him. Casey wanted toughness, and shooting off the bench.

Ujirir responded in kind getting him Psycho.T not many guys tougher and wanting to do the dirty work than Hansborough and he got Steve Novak 3 point shooting. It just seems BC was too concerned and delusional about Bargnani hopefully breaking out than addressing any needs the head coach had....Dom McGuire is not the answer BC....

DC: Our team needs toughness and shooting
    BC: Bargnani has all that thats why hes the leader of this team
    DC: ........
    I was thinking along the same lines during Ujiri's presser last night. He's assembling a team that fits Casey (he did the same thing in Denver with Karl).

Colangelo, on the other hand, had his own vision of a team, and expected Casey to make it work. And to no one's surprise, it didn't work.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

6. Like Rapstor4Life, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I was thinking along the same lines during Ujiri's presser last night. He's assembling a team that fits Casey (he did the same thing in Denver with Karl).

Colangelo, on the other hand, had his own vision of a team, and expected Casey to make it work. And to no one's surprise, it didn't work.
    Great great great great point.

And HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference in approach.

Casey = elastic band

Colangelo = cast iron
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

8. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Great great great great point.

And HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference in approach.

Casey = elastic band

Colangelo = cast iron
    What I also like about MU is that he helped hire Nurse to run the offense. I think he wants to a build a system before he builds a team.. and I love that approach.

Post Thanks / Like

Right? especially after last nights video its definitely evident Ujiri and Casey are in constant dialogue about building the team, I dont think BC and DC really had that great of a discussion.

DC:With Calderon gone I need a back up guard Lucas wont do.....
    BC: hmmmmm start Bargnani with Rudy Gay
    DC: are you listening?
    BC: O yes I'll trade a 2nd rounder for washed up Sebastion Telfair...
    DC: *sigh

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

A nugget I heard on the radio (Chum 1050) today...apparently Stefanski pushed for the Ross pick over Drummond....calling it a safe pick. Previously the rumours were that it was Ross who was Casey's choice. Intrigue at the ACC. At the least Drum would have been a helluva chip to use these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Ross sounds like a Casey choice to me, intangibles good shooter a willing defender athletic. I doub t Stefanski did anything but nod his head around BC.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

When it was announced that Casey would continue, Casey mentioned that he wanted a 3 point shooter, a back-up PG and a veteran to play a leadership role. My guess is that a 'veteran back-up PG' is next since a 3 pt. shooter has been acquired.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    A nugget I heard on the radio (Chum 1050) today...apparently Stefanski pushed for the Ross pick over Drummond....calling it a safe pick. Previously the rumours were that it was Ross who was Casey's choice. Intrigue at the ACC. At the least Drum would have been a helluva chip to use these days.
    Well, Casey was the guy who first "discovered" Ross by visiting Washington....or so we're led to believe.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Ross sounds like a Casey choice to me, intangibles good shooter a willing defender athletic. I doub t Stefanski did anything but nod his head around BC.
    No, I remember on that draft thing Stefanski was REALLY pushing for Ross, with Casey in agreement. BC was basically like "I was all in for Barnes and didn't bother scouting anyone else so whatever, take him."

If anything, Ross was definitely Stefanski's pick. It was Stefanski that wanted Ross over Lamb or Rivers because the two of them can't handle contact.

16. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im happy with Ross the only guys Id have taken over him were Barnes and Lilard. I remeber that silly hype over Austin Rivers....

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Well, Casey was the guy who first "discovered" Ross by visiting Washington....or so we're led to believe.
    Casey lives in Seattle and quite familiar with UW & the coach there so the circumstantial evidence is no doubt plenty. All this he said/he did stuff no longer matters anymore. I hope Ross goes out and proves he was the right pick....he seems to have the tools. I think he was just overwhelmed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Raptors fan have had it rough.. but is just making the playoffs really a good goal to have for a franchise? As Ujiri puts it - "making the playoffs is easy".

The Nets have proven how easy it is to make the playoffs. Just assemble a roster of highly paid talent that are near all-star caliber.. However you are screwed with your flexibility going forwards and are stuck with that highly paid core. What happens if one of your main guys gets injured? Lopez for example has had some major injury issues in the past.

I would hate to be a Nets fan. In my opinion they won't be contending for a championship. They will have to wait 3-4 years until their core either retires or become expiring contracts so they can try again.

I think Denver is finally tired of having a team that fails to actually succeed in the playoffs. Karl is not a great playoff coach so parting ways there makes sense. And the fact that Karl made some of how he feels public make me feel better that we got MU managing our team.
    Is making the playoffs a good goal? Yes.

You need a winning season to make the playoffs and you need to make the playoffs to win a championship..there's a process.#babysteps
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Leiweke on Raptors restructuring and BC

http://bcove.me/5892jhnw

Post Thanks / Like

That just sounded like a bunch of corporate splatter..
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57

Thread Information