Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we are trading OKC Id rather take Lamb off their hands than PJ3. Lamb was a rookie to watch during the summer league and before the Harden trade.

DeRozan and Gray for Perkins/Lamb#12.

Comment

• with the pick grab Larkin or Schroeder, let Lamb and Ross compete for the starting job.

Comment

• i think that's the vibe they get from Casey, which is probably completely true. what coach wants to tank?

Ujiri and Leiweke's comments though...
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• heck yeah i'd take Lamb. i don't really understand why OKC didn't try to develop him a little more in the season.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• if we've learned anything from the spurs, especially last night, it's the need for 3 and D players.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
              i think that's the vibe they get from Casey, which is probably completely true. what coach wants to tank?

Ujiri and Leiweke's comments though...
              Good point.

Based on RaptorFan post the Gay comments came after Ujiri left the room.

Comment

heck yeah i'd take Lamb. i don't really understand why OKC didn't try to develop him a little more in the season.
                was just doing some research and i guess he was in the d-league most of the year. played really well.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                  If we are trading OKC Id rather take Lamb off their hands than PJ3. Lamb was a rookie to watch during the summer league and before the Harden trade.

It's not about what you'd rather, it's about what they'd rather....

here are my 2 big issues summed up....
                  -I just can't see OKC preferring to trade Lamb over Jones. And I don't understand why a Raptors fan would want him. He does not look like a better prospect than Ross.*Edit: And if he is, why wouldn't OKC keep him now that Martin expires and they have that nice open spot at backup SG. I obviously have no inside information, but how will they develop Jones? He's a forward. Durant eats up the SF minutes. Ibaka/Collison eat up most of the PF minutes. Collison is a great fit for them as a steady, veteran glue-guy big, and on a very good contract.

-I also don't know why OKC would want DeMar in any deal. Floor spacing is OKC's biggest issue on offense because their bigs can't stretch out too far and so their SG has to be able to knock down long-range shots. Bargnani, in theory, is exactly the type of player they need. Whether they believe they can get what they need from him is, of course, a whole different story. They desperately need a stretch 4, and ideally one who can guard both big positions one-on-one in the post.

I feel like the deal with DeMar and Lamb is worse for both teams. Bargnani for Perkins/Jones is good for both teams. Jones won't get minutes for a while in OKC. If you watched them play enough this year, it's obvious Perkins just doesn't fit there anymore. If they think they can get what they need out of Bargs, they get 2 years of a stretch PF/C who is fairly young and could be a great fit with their current core, and shed 2 players who don't really fit with what they're doing now.

Everything hinges on their opinion of Bargs. The obvious first thought is "OKC is too well run for that". But Bargs makes only slightly more than Perk over the same period. My second thought was then "OKC IS really well run though". IT takes that type of organization to gamble on a talented player. I mean everyone thought Memphis was crazy for going after Randolph, but it worked out better than anyone thought it possibly could. IF they can get 80% of that 13-game Bargs most nights, as the 3rd/4th option and clearly a secondary player on the team, that could fit in very nicely in OKC, even if his rebounding stays low.
                  Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jun 12, 2013, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• DeMar would be great for OKC Westbrook and durant already provide the spacing they need & DeMar can (hopefully) hit set ones I could see them jumping on him to shed Perkins contract for a player they arent using at all. Lamb has formed a bond with Durant though they work out religiously together.

DeMar is a midrange jump shooter and slasher he would greatly help OKC especially with the attention Durant and Westbrook draw he would have a field day playing beside them and getting buckets.

Raps get Perkins and Lamb along with #12 draft Shroeder/Larkin get a 2nd round pick draft Kabongo so if Lowry doesnt pan out we have the PG situation taken care of and can move Lowry good player expiring deal for something Raps need, if Raps plan on keeping Lowry in tandem with Gay then draft Olynyk or Bullock with Kabongo in 2nd.

Comment

was just doing some research and i guess he was in the d-league most of the year. played really well.
                      That was OKC developing him though.

OKC is smart, or at least they try to be. They had no room for Lamb on a team trying to win a ring, that already had 2 very capable SGs in Sefolosha and Martin.

My gut tells me that they move Lamb into the Harden-type backup SG role this season. If they can start him at 15 mpg and get him to 25 mpg by the playoffs, that would be ideal, as they still have Sefolosha.

Again, this is why I think Bargs makes sense. Why go after a SG when you have one to develop? Adding a re-energized Bargnani (who has talked about wanting to be on a winning team more than anything while being injured/shopped), and a more developed Lamb would be a good summer, and better deal to address holes than adding DeMar/Gray, IMO.

Comment

DeMar would be great for OKC Westbrook and durant already provide the spacing they need & DeMar can (hopefully) hit set ones I could see them jumping on him to shed Perkins contract for a player they arent using at all. Lamb has formed a bond with Durant though they work out religiously together.

DeMar is a midrange jump shooter and slasher he would greatly help OKC especially with the attention Durant and Westbrook draw he would have a field day playing beside them and getting buckets.

Raps get Perkins and Lamb along with #12 draft Shroeder/Larkin get a 2nd round pick draft Kabongo so if Lowry doesnt pan out we have the PG situation taken care of and can move Lowry good player expiring deal for something Raps need, if Raps plan on keeping Lowry in tandem with Gay then draft Olynyk or Bullock with Kabongo in 2nd.
                        I disagree about DeRozan's fit in OKC. Durant and Westbrook are both essentially ball-hogs who penetrate off the dribble; they need outside shooters and down-low post presence. DeRozan needs the ball to be successful and isn't a legit, consistent 3pt threat. He'd be even more redundant on OKC than he is here in Toronto. I really think OKC views Lamb as the ideal complimentary SG, which is why they're developing him slowly - they've been grooming him to replace Harden/Martin.

The Bargnani for Perkings & player and/or 1st round pick would be a good deal for both teams, I think.

Comment

DeMar would be great for OKC Westbrook and durant already provide the spacing they need & DeMar can (hopefully) hit set ones I could see them jumping on him to shed Perkins contract for a player they arent using at all. Lamb has formed a bond with Durant though they work out religiously together.

First of all, Westbrook is not a good shooter. That's why they need space. Durant is a great shooter and they over-depend on him. Why would they want a SG that they'd have to hope can improve his range and trade away a guy who's a natural shooter? Fucking retarded.

Second of all, did you watch OKC play at all this year? The easiest way to stop them is to clog the paint, try and force Durant to become a jump shooter in isos, and try to make Westbrook drive into crowds. They have nobody to pull bigs away. Collison and IBaka have both constantly worked on their shot, but a real big who can stretch out to the 3 pt line would do wonders for them. They really need that space opened up. Adding DeMar isn't going to pull guys away from the paint. They'll still be facing all the same problems. Problems they had this year with Martin, an excellent 3 pt shooter. They don't need a player who thrives as a ball-stopping midrange SG. It makes no sense.

Edit: Realized this may have sounded pretty aggressive. Wasnt' meant to be, or be personal, so sorry if it came off that way. Seriously though, not sure I can think of a team where DeMar is a worse fit than OKC.
                          Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jun 12, 2013, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Its cool Westbrook had a bad year hes usually a better shooter than he was this year Memphis beat them with overall lack of Bigs from OKC that essentially run 2 PFs up front. I dont think DeRozan would be a bad fit there hes better for them than Martin, good point on keeping Lamb though I mean they did trade Harden for the kid.

Comment

Its cool Westbrook had a bad year hes usually a better shooter than he was this year Memphis beat them with overall lack of Bigs from OKC that essentially run 2 PFs up front. I dont think DeRozan would be a bad fit there hes better for them than Martin, good point on keeping Lamb though I mean they did trade Harden for the kid.
                              Westbrook
                              Career FG% .432
                              This season .438
                              Career 3 pt .302
                              This season .323

This was a fairly good shooting season for Westbrook. Bottom line, he's a fairly mediocre shooter from long range. It is not his strength, and is not something you want him doing a lot. You want him abusing his man one-on-one and getting into the heart of the D, ideally a spread out D left scrambling to cover the exposed hole. Having a stretch big makes this easier, and gives Westbrook another legit shooter out there to be a passing option.

*Westbrook doesn't need to be a strong 3 pt shooter. He needs to become a bit better distributor and basically be something like a taller Isiah Thomas. This is the guy Westbrook reminds me of the most when he's at his best.
                              Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jun 12, 2013, 12:58 PM.

Comment

If we are trading OKC Id rather take Lamb off their hands than PJ3. Lamb was a rookie to watch during the summer league and before the Harden trade.

Hmmmmm. I really like this deal, only because of the fact the 12th pick kind of sweetens the deal, the back-up centre is addressed, DeMar's poision pill is ineffective on the cap, and Lamb brings some things DeMar can't, Lamb is a better defender (not saying much), better shooter, can create off the dribble, and going into his second year. Team goes in with a veteran at the centre position, a young shooting guard rotation, and possibly another prospect @ the PG, SG.

PG: Lowry/*12th pick in draft - Schroeder, Larkin, MCW.*
                                SG: Ross/Lamb/*12th pick in draft - Oladipo, Muhammad, Caldwell-Pope, McCollum, etc.*
                                SF: Gay/Fields
                                PF: To be addressed via trade/Johnson/Acy
                                C: Valanciunas/Perkins

For OKC, they get rid of Perkins who quite frankly has been absolutely garbage for them - no longer a fit - and bring in Aaron Gray who fits that rebound, banger style they can either start, or come off the bench. Gray in my honest opinion is an upgrade considering he's miles a better offensive player than Perkins (again, still not saying much though). DeMar DeRozan than can fill the starting shooting guard, or come off the bench with Kevin Martin, assuming he resigns.

PG: Westbrook, Jackson
                                SG: Sefolosha/Martin-DeRozan
                                SF: Durant/DeRozan
                                PF: Ibaka/Collison/PJ3
                                C: Gray/Thabeet
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X