Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    Kevin O'Neil, Sam Mitchell, Dwayne Casey... If Casey goes, and I think he will, I want the next coach to be established. No offense to Chauncey Billups but that's big talk for someone who's never coached and is criticizing a highly experience, highly accomplished head coach. Based on how Denver has played since Karl has led the team he's doing something right.
    I don't think it's big talk for a guy coming off years playing for Rick Carlisle, Larry Brown and Flip Saunders (especially the first 2).

Karl's teams have never struck me as teams that actually prepare for their opponent and make adjustments. A coach can be overrated and still be successful. To me, the comparison that I hope explains how I think of Karl is Don Nelson. Nelson was always very good at catering the offense to his players, often favoring a "small ball" style of game, though often because that played to his team's strengths. He could create a style/identity that his team played with every game during the regular season, and that with enough talent, could bring a fairly good win total. But his teams also always fizzled out in the playoffs.

Comment

• That's 7 more times than the raps have as an organization...
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
        I like George Karl but I dont want him coaching the Raps I'd rather keep Casey just hire some better ast around him.
        you would rather have casey over karl.

what am i even reading?

Comment

• phez wrote: View Post
          you would rather have casey over karl.

what am i even reading?
          I don't know if this is what he means....

But if Karl is the only other option, I'd rather stick with Casey for another year while Ujiri tinkers with the roster, and then do a proper search next year, hopefully with more/better candidates.

Comment

• Woj usually doesn't make mistakes like that, he knows his stuff. Probably just forgot to include "assistant".
            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• everybody needs to just calm their tits. All he did was let go of some guy who probably wanted gone. Plus, he was the assistant GM..it has minimal impact.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                Insightful article.
                ya, but did you have to quote the whole thing?? Takes up a lot of space on my browser screen..aha.

Good article. But, it also downplays Ujiri a little bit.
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Wow. If you want a sad, depressing, city-loathing, and organization-loathing read this morning, here you go.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...job_kelly.html

I can't get behind the premise but I have been wrong before and I wouldn't be surprised if I was now. I just don't think it is as cut and dry as Kelly makes it out to be. There has to be a desire by Ujiri to see through what he started in Denver plus add in the loyalty to an organization that gave him his start in a paid NBA position and as a GM, the friendship with ownership, and the raise from Denver that was coming (2-3x his $500k - so the 500% raise is not quite telling of the real financial situation, 50-100% is though and that is still a lot of money but not 500%).
                  I am all for objective analysis but this is another sad piece by Kelly. Is he only happy miserable?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...ems_kelly.html

After being proven incorrect on him wanting the job, on to plan B of city and organization loathing.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    I don't know if this is what he means....

But if Karl is the only other option, I'd rather stick with Casey for another year while Ujiri tinkers with the roster, and then do a proper search next year, hopefully with more/better candidates.
                    ...He's talking about next year...re-read it.

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                      elaborate?
                      That I'm assuming he can come to that conclusion by himself. Not that he doesn't ask others, but if he has trouble seeing that for himself, he shouldn't be so involved as he appears to be.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        I don't think it's big talk for a guy coming off years playing for Rick Carlisle, Larry Brown and Flip Saunders (especially the first 2).

Karl's teams have never struck me as teams that actually prepare for their opponent and make adjustments. A coach can be overrated and still be successful. To me, the comparison that I hope explains how I think of Karl is Don Nelson. Nelson was always very good at catering the offense to his players, often favoring a "small ball" style of game, though often because that played to his team's strengths. He could create a style/identity that his team played with every game during the regular season, and that with enough talent, could bring a fairly good win total. But his teams also always fizzled out in the playoffs.
                        There is more than one way to look at that. Some would say that with the talent Nelson usually had at his disposal, he had no business even being in the play-offs, but he got them there anyway. It's not like he had the luxury of playing small ball with LeBron, Wade and Bosh.

Comment

• What coach have they had who is better than Karl?

Butch?

Lenny?

Sam?

Comment

• Noticed a few "he might bring in this guy because he is Nigerian" comments.

1.) How many Canadian players do we have on our roster?

2.) Though likely not intended, it has the faint smell of racism.
                            2B.) No I'm not calling anyone specific a racist, just pointing out that it can be taken that way.

3.) He may have been exposed to a few players internationally, but I doubt he would be nepotistic and choose them over a better player if one were available.
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                              I wonder if Ujiri will want to bring in Iguodala?

He'd be the perfect guy for Ross to learn behind, and he'd be a good fit with Gay i think.
                              When Colangelo made his exit from Phoenix there was some bad blood there between him and Sarver(so reported) and he never went on to do a deal with the Suns for quite some time.

Based on what I read, the Nuggets owner views what Ujiri did as breaking his word. I can't imagine he's too happy with the guy right now and I'm sure he doesn't want to make any move that will better whatever Ujiri is working on.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                                What coach have they had who is better than Karl?

Butch?

Lenny?

Sam?
                                what about Karl's health issues? It's got to undoubtedly play a factor and he's not getting any younger.

Comment

Working...
                                X