Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    He has the makings of a star, so much talent
    I guarantee you that Tobias Harris will never be an allstar.

Comment

• Sig wrote: View Post
      That is probably true.

However he had way too much talent to sit on the bench in Milwaukee. I think he had more value that 30-35 games of JJ Redick.

Comment

• If you listen to the interview on RR homepage with Ujiri and Devlin, there is a real and (in my opinion) important difference between Ujiri and Colangelo/Casey.

Colangelo/Casey both have their idea of how the game of basketball should be played (ironically it seems that BC and DC have opposite views). Despite different views, both BC/DC stick with what they think is the "right" way whether the roster is built for it or not (or maybe "come hell or high water"). BC and DC are the epitome of putting square pegs in round holes.

Ujiri on the other hand acknowledges he has a style he would like to play but it might not always work with what you have and therefore you've got to work with what you are given.

Might not be a big deal but I think it is a stark contrast to BC and DC.

Comment

• Sig wrote: View Post
          He's only 20 years old with tons of talent, and put up pretty impressive numbers with Orlando. I didn't say he'd be an all-star but it's hard to argue that his ceiling is pretty high

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            That is probably true.

However he had way too much talent to sit on the bench in Milwaukee. I think he had more value that 30-35 games of JJ Redick.
            Right, though it's difficult to say what the role of an assistant GM was in either drafting Harris or in trading him away. Perhaps Weltman was the one who wanted to draft Harris in the first place, and argued against the Redick trade. Or perhaps Weltman never liked Harris and was constantly in Hammond's ear about trading him. Except for a few well-publicized examples, I don't think us fans ever get much of a sense of what an assistant GM is or is not responsible for... their job generally depends on not publicly second-guessing their GM.

If the first scenario is true, then perhaps Weltman is frustrated with Milwaukee making knee-jerk reactions to get themselves into the eighth seed, and would prefer working with Ujiri to develop a talent-base from the ground up.

Comment

If you listen to the interview on RR homepage with Ujiri and Devlin, there is a real and (in my opinion) important difference between Ujiri and Colangelo/Casey.

Colangelo/Casey both have their idea of how the game of basketball should be played (ironically it seems that BC and DC have opposite views). Despite different views, both BC/DC stick with what they think is the "right" way whether the roster is built for it or not (or maybe "come hell or high water"). BC and DC are the epitome of putting square pegs in round holes.

Ujiri on the other hand acknowledges he has a style he would like to play but it might not always work with what you have and therefore you've got to work with what you are given.

Might not be a big deal but I think it is a stark contrast to BC and DC.
              yes this THIS it'd drive me crazy how terribly the two worked together, not to mention how they'd passive-aggressively say the other wasn't doing their job. i look forward to the straight forwardness of the new reich.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                Are you kidding me? BC wasn't very good but this team has way more talent than the mediocre bucks team.
                They actually made the playoffs.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                  Don't go bringing facts into this!
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                    Making the playoffs doesn't only depend on talent alone. Milwaukee actually had a half decent system in place. For the raptors it was give the ball to demar or Rudy.

Comment

• Who else would you go give it to really?

Comment

Making the playoffs doesn't only depend on talent alone. Milwaukee actually had a half decent system in place. For the raptors it was give the ball to demar or Rudy.
                        Actually, Milwaukee had as poor a system. There was so much conflict on whether who the primary ball-handler was between Jennings, and Ellis. They did not have a capable offensive big other than Ilyasova, and their wings are definitely nowhere near the talent level of DeRozan/Gay/Ross/Fields/Anderson.

Too many injuries, bad hole to begin with in the 4-19 start, lack of continuity and consistency, throw in some bad coaching and missed calls, and there's the season.
                        Milwaukee at the VERY least was consistent, despite having a couple bumps on the road i.e. Scott Skiles.

There's no doubt the Raptors were the more talented team, but there was nothing that fit. I know we've all read it on this forum,
                        but this whole roster (definitely can argue coaches/front-office mindset) is basically square pegs trying to snap into round holes.

1. Ujiri is a great start in terms of building a team PROPERLY.
                        2. Coach Casey and the relationship/philosophy with Ujiri remains to be seen, but if Casey goes back to the defensive approach he brought in his first season, isn't too caught up with his players "come hell or high water", change his ways to wanting to give young players development time and opportunities, and can find or develop some sort of above average offensive system, this could be another step in the right direction.
                        3. The roster make-up, a few players I would keep IF Ujiri truly is planning a rebuild or re-tool.
                        - JV, Amir, Acy, Gay are the only guys I would name "untouchable". Bringing in young players through draft, trades (prospects, picks, expirings) are going to be huge, specifically the certain TYPES of players Ujiri is bringing in.

PG: -------,
                        SG: -------,
                        SF: Gay,
                        PF: -------, Johnson, Acy
                        C: Valanciunas

Team will need some sort of inside scorer to develop a great inside post duo similar to that of Indiana (seems to be the model for Ujiri), Memphis (West, Millsap, Smith), or a big that can somehow stretch the floor, or bring a finesse game (Ilyasova, Love).

Shooters are needed, a point guard - or back-up depending on Lowry situation - (hopefully through this draft, because the point guard position is the only "strong" position in the draft), wing/guard defenders, some sort of bench scorer (could be Ross, or DeRozan - expensive bench player - developing in that role), and fill rest of positions with role players.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                          Who else would you go give it to really?
                          All 5 guys on the court.

Ball movement and off ball movement are crucial and Toronto desperately lacked both.

Comment

All 5 guys on the court.

Ball movement and off ball movement are crucial and Toronto desperately lacked both.
                            Which is why I like Landry Fields. whenever he's on the floor, there seems to be more ball movement

Comment

• Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                              Which is why I like Landry Fields. whenever he's on the floor, there seems to be more ball movement
                              Also spacing, regardless of is poor outside shooting. Great movement off the ball.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                                Who else would you go give it to really?
                                Swoosh.

Did you hear that flying directly passed you?

Comment

Working...
                                X