Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shantz wrote: View Post
    ESPN just put out an article on different possible landing spots for Phil Jackson. The Raptors came in as the most likely possibility:

The rest of the article can be found here (Insider): http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/playo...t-phil-jackson
    Well I don't have Insider. Even if you don't want to quote the whole article, can you list the teams in order for us? It would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed May 1, 2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I would assume Sacramento Charlotte Brooklyn

Comment

I'm guessing that the author had a minimum number of words that they needed to fill as they decided to extend the list fairly far, but either way, here is the order as they listed it:

1) Raptors
        2) Sacramento
        3) Charlotte
        4) Lakers
        5) Phoenix
        6) Brooklyn
        7) Washington
        8) Philadelphia
        9) Minnesota
        10) Clippers
        11) New York

I mainly posted it not due to anything groundbreaking, but mainly as it seems momentum is gaining despite the metaphor that says Phil would never consider the Raptors.

I particularly love reading about Jackson's true appreciation for Alex MeKechnie. For some reason that just warms my heart! I would love it if the penny-pinching the Lakers did during the lock-out (releasing MeKechnie to save a few dollars) not only leads Alex to the Raptors, but helps bring Jackson here as well.
        Last edited by Shantz; Wed May 1, 2013, 05:15 PM.
        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
          I'm guessing that the author had a minimum number of words that they needed to fill as they decided to extend the list fairly far, but either way, here is the order as they listed it:

1) Raptors
          2) Sacramento
          3) Charlotte
          4) Lakers
          5) Phoenix
          6) Brooklyn
          7) Washington
          8) Philadelphia
          9) Minnesota
          10) Clippers
          11) New York

I mainly posted it not due to anything groundbreaking, but mainly as it seems momentum is gaining despite the metaphor that says Phil would never consider the Raptors.

I particularly love reading about Jackson's true appreciation for Alex MeKechnie. For some reason that just warms my heart! I would love it if the penny-pinching the Lakers did during the lock-out (releasing MeKechnie to save a few dollars) not only leads Alex to the Raptors, but helps bring Jackson here as well.
          Thanks a bunch!

Yeah, the Raptors have a lot going for them compared to these other teams, especially with evidence that ownership could be willing to spend if they think the team is going down the right path.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            Thanks a bunch!

Yeah, the Raptors have a lot going for them compared to these other teams, especially with evidence that ownership could be willing to spend if they think the team is going down the right path.
            In addition to that, I see lots of favourable factors for the Raps
            - several good young players
            - assuming 2013 1st round pick goes to OKC, they have full compliment of 1st round picks moving forward
            - lots of expiring contract $$ over the next couple seasons
            - amnesty still in play (Kleiza or Bargnani)
            - team/ownership that is real about wanting to build a conteder, with deep pockets and willingness to spend
            - passionate fan base in a sports-crazed city, with an entire country supporting Canada's team
            - ability to pick his own GM and head coach
            - of all the teams in that list, only Phoenix and the 3 California teams have better climates than Toronto (to somewhat help put that rumor to rest)

It may be a long shot, but why not? We do need to start thinking of the Raptors as a top-tier team... the culture/outlook change needs to include the fans too. The new President of MLSE and Phil Jackson as Raptors President would certainly go a long way toward establishing the credibilty of the Raptors franchise in the eyes of American basketball media/experts/players, etc...

Comment

Can these kind of signings be made now or does it have to happen after the playoffs are over?

Comment

rasieraps wrote: View Post
                Can these kind of signings be made now or does it have to happen after the playoffs are over?
                Anything but player movement can go on right now.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                  Before Stefanski was brought in I believe he was President of basketball ops and GM, I believe Stefanski has the GM position now?
                  Nope. Ed Stefanski is the Executive VP of Basketball Operations.

BC is the President and GM.

Comment

So whats plan B???

Phil is with the Pistons as an advisor

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ch-for-a-coach

Comment

No Phil Jackson

He's going to be an advisor for the piston's.

Source.

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/...e-coach-search

Comment

Just posted this in the Phil for prez thread but cooool people have to know anyway I guess Raps were never really on his "list" Show us what you got Leiweke!

Comment

From reading that article, I get the impression his position with the Pistons is strictly as a consultant in regards to them hiring a new coach. I'm not sure its a permanent position.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            From reading that article, I get the impression his position with the Pistons is strictly as a consultant in regards to them hiring a new coach. I'm not sure its a permanent position.
                            Ya but him doing it at all seems.... kinda committed, I dont know I mean what happens when they settle on a coach Phil doesn't just leave his investments.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                              I dont know I mean what happens when they settle on a coach Phil doesn't just leave his investments.
                              What 'investments'? He'll be getting paid a handsome amount of money to consult on a hiring. There's no investment made. Not that I read anyway.

This isn't like Flip Saunders new deal in Minnesota, where he assumes a minority Ownership role.
                              Jackson is just a consultant for the Pistons.

Comment

June 30th is when Leiwke assumes his position right? that week Im expecting some good Rap news. I dont think anything will be happening till around Canada day.

Comment

Working...
                                X