Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reminded of Billy Beane ...

... there are a number of us who feel basketball is overdue for the same stats revolution that swept through baseball ... and in fact that it has already happened, with San Antonio being the best example ... but it works for SA because most teams are stuck in the stone age.

If Masai is a believer in advanced stats, and feels fully in control (part of the negotiation process), then it would make total sense to sweep out the 'stone age' scouts ('X has so much athleticism, we can't pass him up') and bring in all fresh blood ('look at his shooting percentage, not his points'). I'm thinking Billy Beane ... let's see the results.

Comment

• Now, if he can convince Casey to be the defensive coach and hire one of the Van gundy brothers.

Hey, one can dream, right?

Edit: Clean out the roster, hire a lame duck coach, and convince the board to tank
      Last edited by hotfuzz; Sun Jun 2, 2013, 05:08 PM.
      "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
        Nuggets fans dislike their coach, that's all I need to know, to not want him. Too many lessons proved me right, that if a person isn't welcomed in his team by the fans, then he won't be any better in TO.
        Where did you see this?

Comment

• Problem with tanking is even if you finish with the worst or 2nd worst record in the league there's no guarantee that you're going to get the 1st or 2nd overall pick.

I say keep the core. Add veterans players on this team and DRAFT WELL. That's the most important thing specially for a franchise like the Raptors.

Ujiri the last 2 years got Kenneth Faried and Evan Fournier late in the 1st round. 2 very good players.

Btw, speaking of draft. NBADraft.net now has Shabazz Muhammad going to Cleveland at 19th. Crazy how his stock has fallen these last couple of months.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
            I get it. I just think if your GM you make the effort to learn. It's lazy for a GM to draft a Nigerian player because he knows him.
            Unless the fact that he knows him means that he is the only one that actually has an appreciation for how good he is. We know it is still possible for talent to fly under the radar in the NCAA. Even more so on the African continent.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
              Anyone hear about a Ujiri press conference? Monday? I would have thought they would have organized something by now.

"Ujiri, officially hired Friday on a five-year deal worth a reported $15 million, is expected to meet with the media Tuesday in Toronto."
              The Star

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                "Ujiri, officially hired Friday on a five-year deal worth a reported $15 million, is expected to meet with the media Tuesday in Toronto."
                The Star
                That is good news.

I could be wrong but my interpretation would mean he is free to get to work now and his commitments in Denver are done.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  . And even his second stint in GSW, the team that made the playoffs as underdogs, then won 48 games the next year and missed them, was actually quite talented (B. Davis, Harrington, J-RIch, Stephen Jackson, Monta Ellis...from who I can remember).
                  Matt Barnes... Andris Beidrins?
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• Sig wrote: View Post
                    Where did you see this?
                    RealGM Forums and ProSportDaily Forums. They all hate George Karl as much as we hate BC.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                      Problem with tanking is even if you finish with the worst or 2nd worst record in the league there's no guarantee that you're going to get the 1st or 2nd overall pick.

I say keep the core. Add veterans players on this team and DRAFT WELL. That's the most important thing specially for a franchise like the Raptors.

Ujiri the last 2 years got Kenneth Faried and Evan Fournier late in the 1st round. 2 very good players.

Btw, speaking of draft. NBADraft.net now has Shabazz Muhammad going to Cleveland at 19th. Crazy how his stock has fallen these last couple of months.
                      Especially since there is a good track record that the worst team will never get the 1st overall pick...

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        Yeah, also it should be noted that Stefanski probably didn't want to stay. He took a demotion coming to Toronto since he was the GM in Philly. I'm pretty sure he was hoping to get the GM job after BC. He'll probably go looking for a situation where he's either GM, or like in Toronto, 2nd in command so he's one step away from being in control.
                        Well, not really a demotion. The man was fired from Philly, so I would say that from unemployed to Asst. GM is a bit promotion, wouldn't you?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          A lot of people were worried, myself included, that him coming in with a lot of the close relationships would mean more of the same!

Boy were a lot of us, myself included, WRONG!

It would seem Ujiri is actually having the opposite effect. Maybe he knows exactly who needs to go and is going to do that.

How Jim Kelly lasted this long, I"ll never know, but with him gone it looks like there is a real changing of the guard.
                          What didn't you like about Raptors scouting?

I won't argue that it was weird that they went against pretty much every draft prediction for the past couple of years. But at the same time I'm not going to sit here and say they were bad picks, far from it.

Comment

• Personally I thought our scouting sucked. I guess AA is an exception. I also love the fact Ujiri made the very difficult Carmelo trade. Getting rid of Bargs (and getting something in return) is going to be challenging.

Comment

• Anybody here know if or when Masai will have a press conference soon? Pretty exicted to hear what direction he's going to take this team.

Comment

• phez wrote: View Post
                                What didn't you like about Raptors scouting?

I won't argue that it was weird that they went against pretty much every draft prediction for the past couple of years. But at the same time I'm not going to sit here and say they were bad picks, far from it.
                                Jim Kelly has been around since the purple and cartoon dinosaurs.

He was here before BC.

He was on hand for some of the biggest draft day f*ck ups of all time:

DeRozan versus so many point guards in 2009
                                Joey Graham vs. Grangers in 2005
                                Rafael Araujo vs. Igoudala in 2004

I can live with DeRozan pick - it wasn't bad by any stretch. However in 2004 and 2005 I was literally screaming at the TV.

Bottom line is I am glad to see him gone and a lot of the old guard shown the door. It smells like spring at MLSE.

Comment

Working...
                                X