Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    They aren't trying very hard to retain him and that leaves me feeling like he may not be the saviour we are all hoping for.
    Nah....It's just Denver. They are not exactly a wealthy team. Not a super small market penny-pincher, but they certainly won't waste more money than they have to. You think maybe he's not the saviour you're hoping for...I'm sure Denver's thinking no GM is worth 3 million per year. After all, they were paying Ujiri much less to do a great job. No reason they wouldn't think they can pluck another executive who'll do a good job at a low cost.

Comment

• The question to ask, with regards to Ujiri's payroll and any penalty tax the Raps may have to pay in the future, is that if Bell/rogers could field a Raptors team that can win 45-50 games a year and make it into the second round, on a regular basis, what impact would that have on advertising revenues, membership of NBA Canada, sale of franchise material, any online sports subscriptions, and/or magazine subscriptions that the two media giants own?

If they spend an extra $8 million on Ujiri and penalty tax, and make an extra $9 million, because they control that content, then it is a no brainer for them. and that's why you want them as owners instead of the Teachers Pension Fund. they have more opportunity to profit downstream.

Comment

• I don't understand what is so great about ujiri. Melo stated his desire to leave, so it was a no brainer to trade him, and all they got was a first round exit, with no guarantee that iguodala will resign. I can't see more success in the nuggets future at all.

Comment

• akashsingh wrote: View Post
          I don't understand what is so great about ujiri. Melo stated his desire to leave, so it was a no brainer to trade him, and all they got was a first round exit, with no guarantee that iguodala will resign. I can't see more success in the nuggets future at all.
          The thing is, he completely turned over the roster. By the way retained some free agents too. Nene, Afflalo, Ty Lawson and others. Hell not he's not worth the money he can get from Raptors, but he is smart, knows what he does, and we need something like him RIGHT NOW.

Comment

• akashsingh wrote: View Post
            I don't understand what is so great about ujiri. Melo stated his desire to leave, so it was a no brainer to trade him, and all they got was a first round exit, with no guarantee that iguodala will resign. I can't see more success in the nuggets future at all.
            'Great' he is not but 'Good' he is. Credit must be given where it's due. A 42 year old GM who's had two successful seasons, which includes EX. of the year honours once, in his 3 year career is remarkable.
            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• Leiweike is trying to give the rest of the league the impression that Toronto has been the shit.

All of the league was talking about Ujiri before the weekend *nba tv and such*

The more attention brought towards the Raptors, the better.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Nah....It's just Denver. They are not exactly a wealthy team. Not a super small market penny-pincher, but they certainly won't waste more money than they have to. You think maybe he's not the saviour you're hoping for...I'm sure Denver's thinking no GM is worth 3 million per year. After all, they were paying Ujiri much less to do a great job. No reason they wouldn't think they can pluck another executive who'll do a good job at a low cost.
                Not sure if you knew but the Korenke's are notoriously cheap with their front office staff, even though they got Wal-Mart money coming out the wazoo.

Comment

• DG88 wrote: View Post
                  Not sure if you knew but the Korenke's are notoriously cheap with their front office staff, even though they got Wal-Mart money coming out the wazoo.
                  Umm...I knew...that's exactly why I posted what I did. They are the type of organization that only spends money when they "have to"....which basically means they are somewhat willing to spend on players, and that's about it. I don't even know how much they're paying Karl, but I doubt it's as high a paycheck as a coach with his resume could earn.

Comment

They aren't trying very hard to retain him and that leaves me feeling like he may not be the saviour we are all hoping for.
                    Or you're just paranoid.

Comment

Sure, there is no magic bullet but who would you rather see get the position (from among who is available). I believe the ownership also owns the NHL Avalanche and the Rams in the NFL so they run their franchises with a view to the immediate bottom line. MLSE ofcourse have other fish to fry like the use of the content of their properties in their main businesses of communications and can spend more.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        The more I think about it, the more I really do not want Ujiri.

Thirdly, Solomon Alabi. Although his affinity for Nigerian players might help get a guy I've always wanted in a Raps uniform: Al-Farouq Aminu.
                        I don't think you can count Alabi as too much of a negative. Remember, he was a guy who was anticipated to go in the late first round in most mocks and scouting reports. Then a rumour about a medical condition surfaced and he dropped like a rock on draft night. Ujiri knew of the rumour and knew it was a non-issue (Hepatitis B, which is easily treatable), and that other teams were passing over him not because of doubts about him as a player, but because of a false red flag. I don't think you can blame Ujiri for being better-informed than anyone else and advising his GM accordingly. If you see a guy dropping because of a non-issue and you get in and pick up up without giving up a basketball asset (just cash considerations), it's a draft-night win, even if it doesn't pan out.

That said, Ujiri does have a background as an international scout (not specific to Africa), and his draft record with Denver reflects that. For those who are universally skeptical of international players, I imagine there will be a lot of gripes about Ujiri's draft picks if he does end up here.

Comment

• Are we absolutely sure Ujiri was the main proponent of the Alabi pick? The fact both are Nigerian and that they had a previous connection makes it an obvious assumption...but an assumption no less. Would be interested in a link on the subject with some reference mentioning Masai as the driver of the pick.....eg. like Casey was for the Ross pick.

Comment

• From all the reports that i've read. It's on Ujiri's hands now if he wants the job.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• After agreeing in principle to a multi-million dollar and multi-year deal with team president Josh Kroenke prior to this summer, Kroenke said Friday night that as he and Ujiri were working through the final details of the arrangement, the Toronto GM position opened up and Toronto asked permission to interview Ujiri.

“I have understood all along the relationships that Masai has in Toronto, and I respect those immensely,” Kroenke said in a phone interview. “So when Toronto inquired about him recently, I knew that it was going to be a tough situation for everyone strictly because of the relationships involved.”

But Kroenke felt obliged to let him do the interview because of their friendship and Ujiri’s relationships in Toronto. Now Ujiri is mulling over an offer with the Raptors. Yahoo Sports reported it could be as high as $3 million, a high payment for a team executive.

“In my mind,” Kroenke said, “we had an agreement but it doesn’t matter because I would never hold someone back from an opportunity they might be curious about. Especially someone I hold in such high regard as Masai.

“If it was any other team, I wouldn’t even have thought about granting permission to speak to him. But it’s his former team and its not entirely a black-and-white situation. He’ll make the decision he thinks is best for himself, and I’ll support him no matter what.”

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...raptors-offer/

Comment

• It's going to come down to where he wants to see things through, essentially. Try and get Toronto on track and turn them into a perennial contender or finish what he recently started in Denver. Regardless of how much Toronto (over)pays I honestly don't think it'll matter much. While I'm very hopeful we do get him here, I don't think we're the unanimous favorite a lot of people think we are.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X