Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER. pack all that false hope with ya!
    in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• Craiger wrote: View Post
      Hasn't Toronto always been profitable regardless of who ran the team?

I posted this in the other thread so I won't go into detail, but I don't like the idea of any potential conflicts that could arise from this (and I don't mean conflicts of aggression - but of interest, decision making, conscience etc).
      Basketball is a business and bc likely excels in the non-basketball parts. If they are saying he has no role in basketball decisions moving forward then who am I to doubt? If Ujiri is brought in with full basketball authority might be bounce ideas off Bc, assuming they are tight, whether he works for MLSE or not? Also BC has basically said we are trading Bargnani, not sure what conflicts arise there.

I am not swing the big deal. Seems like they are doing off the court what guys should be doing on the court which is playing to their strengths.

Comment

• I'll wait until I hear exactly what the role is before rushing to judgement. The quotes thus far say that he will be kept on at MLSE, with nothing specific about the Raptors. It would make sense to keep him in MLSE at a non-Raptors-specific level, where he can use his various corporate skills and experience to help out wherever necessary, as a sort of right-hand man to Leiweke.

Or, if this is just a placeholder move until he's picked up by another organization, that's fine too but I don't think it's necessary.

Comment

• Bryan Colangelo becomes the Bert Cooper of the Raptors! Go figure.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Basketball is a business and bc likely excels in the non-basketball parts. If they are saying he has no role in basketball decisions moving forward then who am I to doubt? If Ujiri is brought in with full basketball authority might be bounce ideas off Bc, assuming they are tight, whether he works for MLSE or not? Also BC has basically said we are trading Bargnani, not sure what conflicts arise there.

I am not swing the big deal. Seems like they are doing off the court what guys should be doing on the court which is playing to their strengths.
            It doesn't matter to me what would, could or should happen. Its a matter of leaving the potential there.

(ps. regarding the Bargnani example, Colangelo saying he is trading Bargnani has no impact on the conflict I was referring to)

Comment

• Next GM of the Raps? who do you want??

Everyone's talking about Ujiri. What people needs to remember is that he inherited an already great team in Denver with a Hall of Fame coach in George Karl. Sure he got a great return for Melo(definitely learned from Colangelo's mistake). But all the pieces were already there when he came to Denver. So it's hard for me to say that he's a "great" GM. I really don't care about the "Executive of the Year " award.

Who i want to see as the next GM of the Raps? The great Larry Bird.

The Indiana Pacers team that you see today? Bird assembled/built that team. From coaching staff to the players. The guy is a great basketball mind. He knows how to win and knows what it takes to win.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• We are going to have pie all over our face if Ujiri turns down the Raps. It'll just be another black eye for this organization. I'm sure Denver will do all they can to retain him, but they'll probably won't be willing to match the Raps price. We'll see.

I don't really get keeping BC around, but at least he won't be pres/GM anymore.

Comment

• So this way, Raps can keep him away from running things and utilise his one talent (offloading terrible contracts like the sleazy used-car salesman he is) whenever it's needed?
                  That's a good thing, right?

Comment

• Craiger wrote: View Post
                    It doesn't matter to me what would, could or should happen. Its a matter of leaving the potential there.

(ps. regarding the Bargnani example, Colangelo saying he is trading Bargnani has no impact on the conflict I was referring to)
                    Who says he does anything raptor related at all? Mlse is a pretty big organization with hands in numerous ventures.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Who says he does anything raptor related at all? Mlse is a pretty big organization with hands in numerous ventures.
                      I never said he would or wouldn't. (although given he's from a basketball family, and worked the vast majority of his adult life in the basketball industry I highly doubt his job will no longer affiliate him with the basketball team). That doesn't keep the potential for a conflict or influence any less real.

Just my two cents though

Comment

• Having a new GM is great news. It is a good start and I am happy it has been done. Now, it will be up to the new guy to properly clean house throughout the organization in a way that makes sense and brings the proper changes.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                          Everyone's talking about Ujiri. What people needs to remember is that he inherited an already great team in Denver with a Hall of Fame coach in George Karl. Sure he got a great return for Melo(definitely learned from Colangelo's mistake). But all the pieces were already there when he came to Denver. So it's hard for me to say that he's a "great" GM. I really don't care about the "Executive of the Year " award.

Who i want to see as the next GM of the Raps? The great Larry Bird.

The Indiana Pacers team that you see today? Bird assembled/built that team. From coaching staff to the players. The guy is a great basketball mind. He knows how to win and knows what it takes to win.
                          Koufos- Ujiri trade
                          Faried- Ujiri pick
                          Gallinari- Ujiri trade
                          Iguodala- Ujiri trade
                          Lawson
                          McGee- Ujiri trade
                          Chandler- Ujiri trade
                          Brewer- Ujiri trade
                          Fournier- Ujiri pick
                          Miller- Ujiri trade

Comment

• Ujiri is definitely a great GM. Wonder if he can flip Gay when his contract is ending for half the random he got for Melo.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                              I'll wait until I hear exactly what the role is before rushing to judgement. The quotes thus far say that he will be kept on at MLSE, with nothing specific about the Raptors. It would make sense to keep him in MLSE at a non-Raptors-specific level, where he can use his various corporate skills and experience to help out wherever necessary, as a sort of right-hand man to Leiweke.

Or, if this is just a placeholder move until he's picked up by another organization, that's fine too but I don't think it's necessary.
                              Remember jay Triano was kept on as a 'consultant'.....

Comment

• Oh man what a glorious day.

Comment

Working...
                                X