Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any possibility that Leiweke is taking so long with his decision on Bryan Colangelo, due to the influence of Jerry Colangelo? I have this impression of guys like Jerry Colangelo and Jerry West, as sort of the God Fathers of the NBA, and they have a lot of connections, so you don't really want to cross them or get on their bad side.

I would have thought if the decision was over releasing most anyone else it would be pretty cut and dry. Bad record, bad team. What else is there to consider?

Comment

• What's to consider is the Leiweke is probably putting together a list of candidates to replace Colangelo and doesn't feel the need to do anything with Colangelo until he's got his list of guys and is ready to start interviewing them. Letting him go now would allow candidates to hold the vacancy over on the Raptors and affect contract negotiations with such a person. Although I don't think it's great business practice to leave BC hanging, I also don't think the organization owes it to Colangelo to give him an answer right away either.

And BC has every right to resign, as Tim has stated -- that's his call to make. I just don't think there's a lot of people knocking on his door to offer him another GM job and that's probably why it's only rumors that he'd walk away.
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

• https://twitter.com/michaelgrange/st...19906879905792

For what it's worth, Grange slammed the door on PJ coming to Toronto at the beginning of the week.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Jon Santiago: Stern on whether there's a promise of expansion for Seattle: "Just our promise of fair dealing and ultimate consideration down the road." Twitter @itsjonsantiago
          That's pretty funny coming from Stern who screwed Seattle so his buddy could have his team in OKC. Fair dealing. Good one.

What's to consider is the Leiweke is probably putting together a list of candidates to replace Colangelo and doesn't feel the need to do anything with Colangelo until he's got his list of guys and is ready to start interviewing them. Letting him go now would allow candidates to hold the vacancy over on the Raptors and affect contract negotiations with such a person. Although I don't think it's great business practice to leave BC hanging, I also don't think the organization owes it to Colangelo to give him an answer right away either.
          No one outside of Toronto cares about the Colangelo situation. Few people in Toronto care. Whether he stays or is fired isn't even a small blip on the NBA radar. People are overanalyzing it because nothing else is going on in Raptorland. Occam's Razor is likely the rule here: MLSE/Leiweke are waiting on someone or they honestly don't know what to do. The second possibility scares me but, frankly, I couldn't care less about Colangelo's feelings or the mythical "PERCEPTION AROUND THE NBA". Colangelo's hiring was "PERCEIVED AROUND THE NBA" as a great move. Look how that turned out.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
            That's pretty funny coming from Stern who screwed Seattle so his buddy could have his team in OKC. Fair dealing. Good one.

No one outside of Toronto cares about the Colangelo situation. Few people in Toronto care. Whether he stays or is fired isn't even a small blip on the NBA radar. People are overanalyzing it because nothing else is going on in Raptorland. Occam's Razor is likely the rule here: MLSE/Leiweke are waiting on someone or they honestly don't know what to do. The second possibility scares me but, frankly, I couldn't care less about Colangelo's feelings or the mythical "PERCEPTION AROUND THE NBA". Colangelo's hiring was "PERCEIVED AROUND THE NBA" as a great move. Look how that turned out.
            It turned into our first atalntic division championship and playoffs the first two years he was here. So, it was a great hire. That was proven right. Obviously, things fell apart in the 3rd year and then on. But, that doesn't mean it wasn't a great hire at the time. HE wouldn't be a great hire now,but he damn well was than.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• yertu damkule wrote: View Post
              so, it would take an 'experienced' man to know within 1/2-a-second to just flush the fucking toilet & let fly into a nice, clean bowl? you get THAT metaphor? you do realize that in this scenario, it's BC who has dropped the turd in the bowl & neglected to clean up after himself, right? and your argument is that BC is the ONLY one (well, he or some other mysterious 'EXPERIENCED' man) who could possibly clean up his mess? PUH-FUCKING-LEASE.

sometimes, i think there's a large swath of raptor fans who care much more about what the media/fans in other markets will think of this team/franchise than how the team itself is run/performs on the floor. of course, that may be because those are BC's prime concerns as well.

oh, and it's a good thing the nuggs went after an 'experienced' GM to lead them out of what very well could have been a similar festering pile of dogshit of a roster. oh, what's that?!?! they hired a guy with NO GM EXPERIENCE!?!? and he just won exec of the year*? NOT POSSIBLE.

*there is no bigger joke of an award out there, but it seems to be the kind of thing that a good portion of raptor fans (i.e. BC apologists) seem to cling to as having some kind of signficant import. well, at least when it suits their narrative.
              BC won executive of the year his first year here. Now look at him.

Regardless of whether you care or not how the league views us. It's important.
              Last edited by LBF; Thu May 16, 2013, 04:18 PM.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                It turned into our first atalntic division championship and playoffs the first two years he was here. So, it was a great hire. That was proven right. Obviously, things fell apart in the 3rd year and then on. But, that doesn't mean it wasn't a great hire at the time. HE wouldn't be a great hire now,but he damn well was than.
                First I'd say that 5 years of no playoffs > 2 years of playoffs, and even if we look at only his first contract 3 years of no playoffs > 2 years of playoffs. And thats just limiting the criteria to making the playoffs, which is not exactly a ringing endorsement when we consider over half the league makes it to that level every single year.

To add to that. The year the Raps won the division, the east, and the division especially, was terrible. It was almost a default win. I know to fans it was exciting because the Raps went from the bottom of the crapper to some semblence of success, but the following years showed that it was external forces (a crappy east) that made the team look better than it really was. Once those teams around them improved, the team Colangelo had built/was building was exposed.

Further more, when you look at what Colangelo had available to him - tons of cap space, a young all-star big, a first overall pick, Calderon/Mo Pete, and a young highly tradeable asset (Charlie V), it really makes what he accomplished then, and over time look so much worse.

Comment

• phez wrote: View Post
                  Some of you have come up with legitimate reasons to keep BC, but lets be real, his mistakes far, far, far outweigh any of those. The Bosh debacle in itself deserves for him to get fired. How can you let a perennial all-star go in return for nothing?

I don't want to count the trades because that is a comedy in itself; original 2011 pick sent to heat for oneal and company, and then came back to us with a second pick which was sent to chicago, which was then sent back to the heat (norris cole). raptors would have had a high pick anyways regardless of the trades.
                  The Bosh screw up is his legacy in Toronto.

Comment

• Craiger wrote: View Post
                    First I'd say that 5 years of no playoffs > 2 years of playoffs, and even if we look at only his first contract 3 years of no playoffs > 2 years of playoffs. And thats just limiting the criteria to making the playoffs, which is not exactly a ringing endorsement when we consider over half the league makes it to that level every single year.

To add to that. The year the Raps won the division, the east, and the division especially, was terrible. It was almost a default win. I know to fans it was exciting because the Raps went from the bottom of the crapper to some semblence of success, but the following years showed that it was external forces (a crappy east) that made the team look better than it really was. Once those teams around them improved, the team Colangelo had built/was building was exposed.

Further more, when you look at what Colangelo had available to him - tons of cap space, a young all-star big, a first overall pick, Calderon/Mo Pete, and a young highly tradeable asset (Charlie V), it really makes what he accomplished then, and over time look so much worse.
                    It's funny in a morbid, ironic way, but I think the unexpected early success the Raptors enjoyed under BC was the very cause of his eventual undoing. He viewed the success that year as being a legitimate indicator of the talent/potential of that group of players, which led to Bosh being branded a franchise player and an annual barrage of band-aid solutions in a miserable attempt to build around Bosh. If the team had simply showed some improvement as a young team, without skyrocketing to a division championship, the past 7 years may have turned out much differently.

As an aside, I also think Sam Mitchell would have been fired after BC's first season, had it not been for the COY award that came as a result of the team's unexpected division win.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                      BC won executive of the year his first year here. Now look at him.

Regardless of whether you care or not how the league views us. It's important.
                      Again, pretty sure no one in the NBA gives a damn. I have not seen one quote from anyone other than Toronto media guys (Colangelo's biggest defenders) talking about 'image'.

And, who cares? Colangelo has the royal familial and it hasn't helped Toronto at all. All the supposed 'respect' and admiration he has around the NBA (I seriously question this meme) hasn't resulted in any coups for Toronto. His international connections got them Parker and Garbo and.... no one since. That was 7 years ago and it was Gherardini.

I met Colangelo years ago at a corporate event in Toronto and he seemed like a good guy. Personally, he seems like he'd be a decent guy to work for and with. Having said that, based on the results, I am pretty sure he's a fraud. Someone who has a big reputation and surrounds himself with really good people (who want to associated with the reputation) to get the good work/jobs, etc. but isn't really the elite guy he is perceived to be. These guys all get exposed eventually cause they can't live up to the advanced billing and, after awhile, the excuses for the misteakes get old.

Comment

• random fox sports newsie from ohio says colangelo is gone!

Sam Amico: Word of Toronto suggests this very well could be Bryan Colangelo's final week as Raptors GM. And no, Phil Jackson won't be replacing him. Twitter @SamAmicoFSO

Comment

• Doug Smith reporting a head-hunting firm has been hired to find Colangelo's replacement:

And Leiweke is not conducting the search for a possible replacement on his own; multiple NBA sources say MLSE has hired a head-hunting firm to whittle down a list of possible replacements.

Two names being tossed around NBA circles at the league’s annual draft combine are Kevin Pritchard, currently the general manager of the Indiana Pacers and Troy Weaver, the vice-president and assistant general manager of the Oklahoma City Thunder.
                          One theory being bandied about at the combine is that Leiweke is just doing basic business due diligence and could decide the management team already in place — Colangelo and vice-president Ed Stefanski — deserves at least another year on the job.
                          http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...urces_say.html

Comment

• Is it me or hasn't Casey mentioned Indiana and OKC as benchmarks for this team in the past? Why do I think Casey is staying in some capacity but Colangelo is going? The other thing that the article mentions is that there are no "star" candidates...who cares if there are star candidates? The Raps went down that path already. How about substance?

Comment

• I can get behind the idea of Kevin Pritchard.

Comment

• MLSE hires firm to look for possible replacement

According to NBA sources, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment — and new chief executive officer Tim Leiweke — has to decide by Monday on whether to pick up Colangelo’s option year for 2013-14.
                                That will end a drawn-out saga of Colangelo’s future that’s been in question since Leiweke took over as the majordomo at Maple Leaf Sports last month.
                                While not officially on the job yet, Leiweke has been given all responsibility to determine Colangelo’s fate. The two men have met and discussed plans for the Raptors future but neither has spoken publicly about their feelings.
                                And Leiweke is not conducting the search for a possible replacement on his own; multiple NBA sources say MLSE has hired a head-hunting firm to whittle down a list of possible replacements.
                                Two names being tossed around NBA circles at the league’s annual draft combine are Kevin Pritchard, currently the general manager of the Indiana Pacers and Troy Weaver, the vice-president and assistant general manager of the Oklahoma City Thunder.
                                There may be others on any short list compiled by the unnamed search firm but neither of those are seen as the slam-dunk, high-profile executives many were expecting to emerge from Leiweke’s search.
                                Link

Change is coming people

Comment

Working...
                                X