Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    Hmmmmm. I really like this deal, only because of the fact the 12th pick kind of sweetens the deal, the back-up centre is addressed, DeMar's poision pill is ineffective on the cap, and Lamb brings some things DeMar can't, Lamb is a better defender (not saying much), better shooter, can create off the dribble, and going into his second year. Team goes in with a veteran at the centre position, a young shooting guard rotation, and possibly another prospect @ the PG, SG.

For OKC, they get rid of Perkins who quite frankly has been absolutely garbage for them - no longer a fit - and bring in Aaron Gray who fits that rebound, banger style they can either start, or come off the bench. Gray in my honest opinion is an upgrade considering he's miles a better offensive player than Perkins (again, still not saying much though). DeMar DeRozan than can fill the starting shooting guard, or come off the bench with Kevin Martin, assuming he resigns.
    This makes no sense at all. First of all, OKC's worried about their cap space/luxury tax situation, so shipping out Perkins for a guy on a more expensive contract is a non-starter. Second, if Lamb's a better shooter and defender, and costs ~$7.5 million less per year than DeRozan, why would OKC want DeRozan? And third, Gray's worse than Perkins, by a decent margin. Perk may not give you much on offense, but he's gotten lighter and quicker since his Boston days, and moves much better than Gray on D (which, again, is not saying much). And to top it all off, you want a first round draft pick?

Did OKC hire David Khan as a GM when I wasn't looking? If not, I want some of whatever drugs you're taking.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Am I reading too much in to no mention of DeRozan?
      Weren't people saying they didn't mention Ed Davis last year? Or am I remembering wrong.

Comment

...Am I reading too much in to no mention of DeRozan?
        Reading the article, there didn't seem to be any specific questions about Derozan to respond to. MU seemed to be responding pretty much on point to specific questions, as reported by the blogger. No question about Demar, therefor no discussion.

Comment

• Karl with insights in to his working relationship with Ujiri:

Q: Can you describe your relationship with the front office?

A: "What I've loved about being here is with (the different front office regimes) is I felt we were all equal. This year, after the trade deadline, all of a sudden, I felt like Masai (Ujiri, the general manager) and Josh were over here, and I didn't feel very equal."

Q: What does "feel equal" mean?

A: "In the past, Stan (Kroenke, the team owner) would listen to all of us. I know I can be fired and the voices behind closed doors can be against me. But this year, I just felt that at the end, for a team that had so much success, unity and karma, I felt that Masai and Josh drifted into a direction that was difficult to understand."

Q: What's an example of that?

A: "It's hard to say. It's just communication, them getting mad about what I said in the paper more often than makes sense. Snippy texts about things. The whole thing it comes down to — you've got a great coaching staff, a coach who loves coaching the team, a city that loves the team." (Karl gently pounds the table.)

Read more: George Karl fires back at Josh Kroenke about being fired as Nuggets coach - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci...#ixzz2WCi9CfGF
          Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
          Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

Comment

• So basically Ujiri and Kroenke wanted to win championships but Karl was happy with just letting the good times roll.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Karl with insights in to his working relationship with Ujiri:
              He comes across sad. Too bad. But I am surprised at the implication that Kroenke & Ujiri had issues with him during the season/after the trade deadline. It must have been about the Nene/JaVale deal. Karl was close to Nene (they both had cancer issues which bonded them). I still am blown away by a 57 win and COY coach who wants to stay being let go. Wow. Sure puts into perspective some of the issues we have. lol....like are we just "one piece" away? A bit off topic but here is a piece on JaVale and some rationale about his play....

http://www.denverstiffs.com/2013/6/1...-minute-gambit

Comment

• great regular seasons become hollow if you lose in the first round year after year
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I hear ya but we have been so mesmerized by our record here I am unfamiliar with that feeling and get confused by such events

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                    I hear ya but we have been so mesmerized by our record here I am unfamiliar with that feeling and get confused by such events
                    Raptors fan have had it rough.. but is just making the playoffs really a good goal to have for a franchise? As Ujiri puts it - "making the playoffs is easy".

The Nets have proven how easy it is to make the playoffs. Just assemble a roster of highly paid talent that are near all-star caliber.. However you are screwed with your flexibility going forwards and are stuck with that highly paid core. What happens if one of your main guys gets injured? Lopez for example has had some major injury issues in the past.

I would hate to be a Nets fan. In my opinion they won't be contending for a championship. They will have to wait 3-4 years until their core either retires or become expiring contracts so they can try again.

I think Denver is finally tired of having a team that fails to actually succeed in the playoffs. Karl is not a great playoff coach so parting ways there makes sense. And the fact that Karl made some of how he feels public make me feel better that we got MU managing our team.
                    Last edited by planetmars; Fri Jun 14, 2013, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• I was referring to the 57 wins. Dont you like 57 wins? Seeing as we couldnt come close to smelling such lofty heights I'll take the 57 and go with the coach that took me there. One must also remember that Karl for most of his career coached in the western conference...a tougher conference and one which since 2000 has won 9 championships. This Denver team is one of the youngest in the league and lost arguably their best offensive player (Gallinari) and had a hobbled Faried (their best defensive). They also traded their centre Nene mid year who provided decent rim defence. This was not all on Karl I believe. Previously he had Melo as the main cog who played no defense and has an inflated view of himself. A hof vet coach like Karl needs some say in the makeup of his team. It seems they took this away from him. Thats the real problem.

Comment

• I mean his teams have only made the playoffs 22 times, no big deal...

Comment

• Some more kind words about Masai

...and another friend in the GM ranks it seems:

Denver Nuggets president Josh Kroenke introduced his new Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations aka the general manager today at Pepsi Center. Media members speculated on just how long this press conference might last, turns out Tim Connelly got to his points quick - like the Nuggets offense?

Now, let's read through the tea leaves, if we can, on what Connelly said today.

Tim Connelly: First of all, I want to thank Josh and the entire Kroenke family for this opportunity. I want to thank my dear friend Masai Ujiri, who left the house in such good order. It's big shoes to fill. I think often times, in situations like this, the theme of the day is change. Today, I want to talk about growth. There's a culture that already ingrained here, a winning culture. It's a heck of a team that I'm inheriting - 57 wins. It's chock full of talent. It's a very supportive ownership and it's a great city.

What can we get from this statement? It came as a surprise to me that Connelly is very close with Ujiri. That should ease some minds right there. I don't think Masai would be hanging out with just anybody ... (sarcasm font). In all seriousness, to me this shows that Tim is indeed a world traveler. He probably crossed paths with Masai on many scouting trips and built a relationship from there. Connelly has been talked about as a tireless worker (from his former boss in New Orleans Dell Demps) and this bodes well for the Nuggets.

If you got the chance to listen to Masai and Pete D'Alessandro's press conferences with the Raptors and Kings, respectively, then you know what Tim meany by "in situations like this, the theme of the day is change". Both Masai and Pete have moved on to difficult situations where a lot of moves need to be made.

http://www.denverstiffs.com/2013/6/2...r-tim-connelly

Comment

• Comment

• So its been about I dunno a month and a half since Ujiri took over? And he already seems to have a way better connection with Casey than the guy who actually hired him. Casey wanted toughness, and shooting off the bench.

Ujirir responded in kind getting him Psycho.T not many guys tougher and wanting to do the dirty work than Hansborough and he got Steve Novak 3 point shooting. It just seems BC was too concerned and delusional about Bargnani hopefully breaking out than addressing any needs the head coach had....Dom McGuire is not the answer BC....

DC: Our team needs toughness and shooting
                              BC: Bargnani has all that thats why hes the leader of this team
                              DC: ........

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                                So its been about I dunno a month and a half since Ujiri took over? And he already seems to have a way better connection with Casey than the guy who actually hired him. Casey wanted toughness, and shooting off the bench.

Ujirir responded in kind getting him Psycho.T not many guys tougher and wanting to do the dirty work than Hansborough and he got Steve Novak 3 point shooting. It just seems BC was too concerned and delusional about Bargnani hopefully breaking out than addressing any needs the head coach had....Dom McGuire is not the answer BC....

DC: Our team needs toughness and shooting
                                BC: Bargnani has all that thats why hes the leader of this team
                                DC: ........
                                I was thinking along the same lines during Ujiri's presser last night. He's assembling a team that fits Casey (he did the same thing in Denver with Karl).

Colangelo, on the other hand, had his own vision of a team, and expected Casey to make it work. And to no one's surprise, it didn't work.

Comment

Working...
                                X