Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    You could put up a good argument that Rudy Gay is better than Melo. Besides scoring there is nothing Melo is better at than Rudy, plus he's a shit defender
    Actually, atleast from a statistical standpoint, Melo does nearly everything better than Gay except creating steals and blocks.

This includes raw per game, per 36 and %.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...ayru01&y2=2013

Melo may not be a good defender, but I wouldn't call him a 'shit' defender either. He got that reputation in Denver under a coach (George Karl) who hasn't been known his emphasis on defense since his days in Seattle (and having Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp likely helped out quite a bit). That said, he's not going to be considered for a DPOY award any time soon either.

Comment

• If Casey is not head coach I hope he's around as ast now is a good time to make a run at Jerry Sloan I can see him wanting to coach this young talented team.

Comment

• Raptors targeting Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri to run organization

According to ADRIAN WOJNAROWSKI

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment is pursuing Denver Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri to take over as the top basketball executive of the Toronto Raptors, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Masai, the 2013 NBA Executive of the Year, has emerged as the top choice of the search firm – Korn/Ferry International – that's been charged with finding a successor to Raptors president Bryan Colangelo, league sources said.
        MLSE has until Monday to make a decision on Colangelo's contract option for next year. It is possible that he could stay with the franchise under a new top basketball official.

Ujiri's contract as Denver's general manager expires this summer and he has been in talks with ownership on an extension. Ujiri, 42, has a strong bond with Nuggets CEO Josh Kroenke but new MLSE top executive, Tim Leiweke, has expressed a desire to make a serious financial and organizational commitment to an elite executive to turn around the franchise.
        Source - Click here for more

Comment

• I really hope this happens. His contract is up, he's underpaid. He cut his teeth here and has shown to be one of the best talent evaluators. He knows this roster fairly well, so I think what Leiweke would offer will be intriguing to him
          Ball Don't Lie

Comment

• Apparently they're targeting Masai Ujiri. Although unlikely, that'd be unreal!

Comment

• That would be freaking unreal!!

Comment

• Why on God's green earth would Masai leave Denver? More money perhaps? Maybe. For North America's 5th largest media market? Perhaps. For a higher profile position? Maybe. For winning? No.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Sounds like the guy we desperately need. If he can get the most out of Melo, then hopefully he could get the most of out Bargnani as well. But that's one of the things he needs to look at before he signs here: assessing the Bargs situation and how much he could do to change it.

Throw as much money as possible at him IMO.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    Why on God's green earth would Masai leave Denver? More money perhaps? Maybe. For North America's 5th largest media market? Perhaps. For a higher profile position? Maybe. For winning? No.
                    My best guess...Just in the sense that they'll have to seriously outbid Denver. They'll make him an offer he can't refuse...but not in the mobster sense.

Comment

• It is possible that he could stay with the franchise under a new top basketball official.
                      This seems very wrong to me.
                      If anyone thinks BCs ego would allow him to be below his former Protégé, they are sorely mistaken.

Comment

• I agree w/ Super Mod, being super myself of course.

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                          Why on God's green earth would Masai leave Denver? More money perhaps? Maybe. For North America's 5th largest media market? Perhaps. For a higher profile position? Maybe. For winning? No.
                          Well, I'm pretty sure money will be most important part here.. But, by watching nuggets association, Masai's interviews, I can see this guy loves challenge, and Raptors are the place with plenty of challenges.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                            Well, I'm pretty sure money will be most important part here.. But, by watching nuggets association, Masai's interviews, I can see this guy loves challenge, and Raptors are the place with plenty of challenges.
                            And Toronto is obviously the place that first gave Masai his chance to ply his trade. There could be a certain level of loyalty and comfort involved in the decision.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                              This is something that Toronto is rich in. In fact, I'd say we're the most promising suitor in the NBA for an exec who's excited about "challenge"

We're # 1!

Comment

• He knows a lot of the players on this team. I'm hoping if he got the job he wouldn't want to blow it up.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X