Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

This might not be so far fetched after all.

The Toronto Raptors, emboldened by the news that the Sacramento Kings apparently won't be moving to Seattle, have ramped up their pursuit of Phil Jackson to be their new team president, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Raptors -- now being run by former Los Angeles-based sports mogul Tim Leiweke -- regarded the Seattle group that was trying to buy the Kings as the biggest threat to preventing Jackson from seriously considering their pitch.

But now that the Kings appear poised to stay in Sacramento instead of being sold to the consortium led by Jackson fan Chris Hansen, sources say that the Raptors will be pursuing Jackson aggressively this week, believing that they rank as Jackson's most attractive current option for a new career in management now that he can reunite with Leiweke.

One source close to the situation told ESPN.com that Hansen and Jackson have "hit it off," sparking league-wide speculation that Jackson would be offered the chance to run the new Sonics in Seattle in the Pat Riley-style role he craves. But with a 12-owner committee recommending Monday that the Kings' move to Seattle be blocked, Toronto's seemingly long-shot odds of winning the Jackson sweepstakes would figure to have received a boost.

That's largely because of Jackson's longstanding friendship with Leiweke, who was introduced Friday as the new CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which oversees the NBA's Raptors, NHL's Maple Leafs and Toronto FC of Major League Soccer.

One source said that Leiweke's "vision and energy" and history of shared success at Staples Center with the 11-time championship coach ensures that Jackson will give the pitch strong consideration despite skepticism around the league about his willingness to relocate to Canada.

Amid its pursuit of Jackson in the wake of Leiweke's arrival, Raptors president Bryan Colangelo is scheduled to meet with the MLSE board next week in hopes of convincing his bosses to pick up the option year on his contract. The 2013-14 option in coach Dwane Casey's contract was picked up by Colangelo before this season, but Leiweke's arrival has thrown both of their futures into some immediate doubt.
    Source - Click here
    Phil Jackson
    4.55%
    Masai Ujiri
    52.27%
    Kevin Pritchard
    13.64%
    Troy Weaver
    13.64%
    David Morway
    2.27%
    Ed Stefanski
    11.36%
    Other (please name names)
    2.27%

CBSSports.com/Ken Berger report:

LOS ANGELES -- Phil Jackson will listen to a pitch from the Toronto Raptors to take a leading role in their basketball operations, but the 11-time champion coach also wants to explore options with other potential suitors, a person familiar with his plans told CBSSports.com.

Speculation has ramped up that Jackson would entertain overtures from Toronto after Tim Leiweke, former CEO of AEG -- which owns the Los Angeles Kings and Staples Center -- was hired as president and CEO of the Raptors' parent company, Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment. Leiweke was the head of AEG for the entirety of Jackson's coaching days with the Lakers.

Jackson, 67, is not actively seeking a return to the NBA as a coach, but rather would covet a leading role in shaping a franchise from the coaching staff to personnel decisions. According to the person familiar with Jackson's plans, he is keeping his options open but seems to prefer a role similar to Jerry West's advisory role with the Golden State Warriors over a team presidency in the Pat Riley mold.

Multiple league sources have expressed doubts that Jackson -- whose fiancee, Jeanie Buss, has ascended to the lead ownership position with the Lakers -- ultimately will satisfy his basketball itch in Toronto. Similarly, sources say the prospect of joining forces again with Michael Jordan, owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, was not initially appealing to Jackson.

But the former Lakers and Bulls coach has grown more open-minded in recent weeks to entertaining any and all offers to employ him in an influential capacity. Several teams already have reached out through backchannels, sources say, and Jackson plans to listen to them all.

The key component of a potential Jackson return would be the ability to hire a head coach who would implement his vision. With three head coaching jobs currently open -- Charlotte, Philadelphia and Detroit -- and with several more potentially becoming vacant in the coming weeks, there is no shortage of opportunities for Jackson to mold a team's culture.

The Bucks, Nets and Suns are expected to formally open their coaching searches after interim coaches finished out the 2012-13 season. Larry Drew is in the final year of his contract in Atlanta, and there is uncertainty about the future of Rick Adelman in Minnesota, Lionel Hollins in Memphis and Vinny Del Negro with the Clippers -- with the status of the latter two potentially hinging on the outcome of their first-round playoff series.

Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov made overtures to Jackson for the team's head coaching position after Avery Johnson was fired this past season, and league sources expect the Russian billionaire to come calling again. The presence of an established general manager -- Billy King just signed a contract extension with Brooklyn -- would not necessarily be a prohibiting factor for Jackson to enter the fray. Jackson would serve largely as the visionary, with a day-to-day GM and front-office staff in place to execute it.

Though Keith Smart had his option for the 2013-14 season picked up in Sacramento, everything is in flux with the Kings until their future is formally decided in next month's Board of Governors vote. Jackson had been viewed in league circles as a favorite -- along with the Spurs' R.C. Buford -- to head up a relocated Kings franchise in Seattle. But even with the league's relocation committee voting unanimously on Monday to recommend that the Kings' relocation bid be rejected, Jackson's involvement in the Sacramento franchise should not be discounted due, in part, to its relative proximity to Los Angeles. Also, no franchise would be more malleable for Jackson's vision than one with a new owner.

However the Raptors' pursuit of Jackson ends, GM Bryan Colangelo's future with the team is highly in doubt -- and with it, that of coach Dwane Casey, whose 2013-14 option already has been picked up. Though Leiweke technically doesn't start his new position until June 30, he will have influence over the board's decision on whether to pick up Colangelo's contract option for next season at a mid-May meeting.

"He's very well-connected in the league and he has to rebuild that franchise," a league source said of Leiweke. "... He's about championships. They didn't just bring him in there to mind the house."
    I wonder about all these league sources saying he wouldn't pick Toronto. Is that because of their ignorance or is it based on reality? We do know that Leiweke is in charge of a team in the 4th largest North American market with an ownership group with VERY deep pockets.

The Jerry West versus Pat Riley mold is interesting. I hope Jackson, if he comes to Toronto, would be in the Riley mold.

As I said in another post/thread:

Leiweke in charge of MLSE
    PJax in charge of Raptors
    Shaw coach
    McKechnie trainer

Get 'er done!

Comment

Why does everyone want the Zen Master so bad? He's a coach, and he's never been anything more. Sure, past experience does not predicate success. But no past experience is, in my opinion, usually doomed to failure. I'd like someone a little more familiar with the job than a legendary coach.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
        Why does everyone want the Zen Master so bad? He's a coach, and he's never been anything more. Sure, past experience does not predicate success. But no past experience is, in my opinion, usually doomed to failure. I'd like someone a little more familiar with the job than a legendary coach.
        While I absolutely appreciate that this is your opinion, I must disagree with this very strongly.

I guess you've never gone looking for a promotion at work, eh?

Phil Jackson knows the game of basketball; and while his coaching abilities may not come in handy while in the Upper Offices of the ACC, his knowledge of how to play the game of basketball, which is in my opinion, second to none in the NBA, certainly will.
        Its certainly not a guarantee he will succeed, but I'd say his chances of success compared to anyone else coming into the role as a 'Rookie' are far better.

ADD I say we merge this conversation up with the rest of the Tim Leiweke/ Phil Jackson threads. Will let it sit for a bit, so people can see the development of the story.
        Last edited by Joey; Tue Apr 30, 2013, 09:58 AM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          While I absolutely appreciate that this is your opinion, I must disagree with this very strongly.

Phil Jackson knows the game of basketball; and while his coaching abilities may not come in handy while in the Upper Offices of the ACC, his knowledge of how to play the game of basketball, which is in my opinion, second to none in the NBA, certainly will.
          Its certainly not a guarantee he will succeed, but I'd say his chances of success compared to anyone else coming into the role as a 'Rookie' are far better.

ADD I say we merge this conversation up with the rest of the Tim Leiweke/ Phil Jackson threads. Will let it sit for a bit, so people can see the development of the story.
          I agree with this.

You put Phil in charge as President - the guy who knows ball and knows what it takes to win (13 championships!).
          You hire a guy who knows the CBA and cap (Tom Penn?).
          Phil tells Tom what he wants, Tom lets him know if it can be done.
          Phil hires his coach who buys in to Phil's vision (Brian Shaw?).

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

Of course, and I fully understand your opinion. But let me rework what you just said a little:

Jay Triano knows the game of basketball; Certainly, he's only been an assistant coach in the NBA, but his experience at the international level and with Team USA will make him an excellent head coach candidate for the Raptors. Not to mention, his familiarity with the staff and players is a major plus. It's certainly not a guarantee he will succeed, but I'd say his chances of success compared to anyone coming into the role as a 'Rookie' are far better.
            Please don't misconstrue this as me comparing Jay Triano to Phil Jackson. My point is that, just because someone is good at one job, does not make him suited for another.

A long time ago, when I was a teenager working at McDonald's, my manager told me that there's a big difference between a "super employee" and a manager. Just because the super employee can serve customers with lightning speed (akin to winning games in the NBA), doesn't necessarily mean they can be a manager (akin to managing team rosters in the NBA).

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
              Of course, and I fully understand your opinion. But let me rework what you just said a little:

Please don't misconstrue this as me comparing Jay Triano to Phil Jackson. My point is that, just because someone is good at one job, does not make him suited for another.

A long time ago, when I was a teenager working at McDonald's, my manager told me that there's a big difference between a "super employee" and a manager. Just because the super employee can serve customers with lightning speed (akin to winning games in the NBA), doesn't necessarily mean they can be a manager (akin to managing team rosters in the NBA).
              You just compared Jay Triano to Phil Jackson ... and working at McDonalds to being a GM in the NBA ...

I'm literally speechless. Lol

Comment

My hopes are up, but I just have this gut wrenching feeling it's going to turn out like the Steve Nash chase from last summer. We'll offer Phil the keys to the house, more money, more control etc.. and he'll spurn us for the Clippers or some other franchise.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                  My hopes are up, but I just have this gut wrenching feeling it's going to turn out like the Steve Nash chase from last summer. We'll offer Phil the keys to the house, more money, more control etc.. and he'll spurn us for the Clippers or some other franchise.
                  The difference is Colangelo led the Nash chase while Tim Leiweke leads the Jackson chase.

Comment

Its more about getting his name rep and connections than knowing he will do a good job.

A coach and business man are 2 entirely different things but Phil is big time and players want to be around stories figures focused on Winning.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                      Maybe we can get a video montage of Michael Jordan (instead of Gretzky) this time...

Comment

So what happens if Jackson just wants the consultancy type role? Thoughts?

Is Colangelo ok with that, and ends up staying next year anyway?

Is the backup plan of letting Stefanski run things for a year put in place anyway after firing BC?

Hopefully this situation resolves itself pretty quickly. Don't imagine it would take that long to figure out what Jackson is looking for and if Toronto fits that.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Is the backup plan of letting Stefanski run things for a year put in place anyway after firing BC?

Hopefully this situation resolves itself pretty quickly. Don't imagine it would take that long to figure out what Jackson is looking for and if Toronto fits that.
                          Down with that as well.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post

I actually wondered if there'd still potentially be a place for BC regardless of which role Jackson would assume. I get the feeling that he wants to be in charge of the strategic direction of the team, with influence over the roster/coaching decisions. They'll still need a GM to be the one to implement the strategic direction.

BC has always been a respected GM among his peers and apparently among players, from what I've read over the years. Plus, the biggest complaint we've had about BC is his lack of a plan, or lack of ability to stick to a plan. Who knows, it could be a good fit if the actual planning is taken away from him, but he's still left to do all the GM duties and report back to Jackson before pulling the trigger.

Whether it's BC, Stefanski or somebody else, I get the feeling that Jackson would still want a GM under him, but one that has less powers that a traditional GM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              I actually wondered if there'd still potentially be a place for BC regardless of which role Jackson would assume. I get the feeling that he wants to be in charge of the strategic direction of the team, with influence over the roster/coaching decisions. They'll still need a GM to be the one to implement the strategic direction.

BC has always been a respected GM among his peers and apparently among players, from what I've read over the years. Plus, the biggest complaint we've had about BC is his lack of a plan, or lack of ability to stick to a plan. Who knows, it could be a good fit if the actual planning is taken away from him, but he's still left to do all the GM duties and report back to Jackson before pulling the trigger.

Whether it's BC, Stefanski or somebody else, I get the feeling that Jackson would still want a GM under him, but one that has less powers that a traditional GM.
                              In this respect Lieweke would hire him in name as President but with roles of GM as we commonly understand it from Colangelo's position. All team building would be Jackon's duty, Colangelo would sign the dotted line, assuming his position is even kept.

See Randy Pfund -> Pat Riley.

Comment

Working...
                              X