Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craiger wrote: View Post
    This assumes people in general, and more specifically people in the world of business, enjoy or crave a challenge. Its been my experience this isn't the case. As Yertu points out the league (and really business in general) is results driven. There is alot more money to be made and an easier reputation to be built when you step into an easy situation rather than a tough one. I feel very confident saying, if all else is equal, a GM would take a job with an existing star/first overall pick/lots of cap space etc, over the opposite 99% of time.

That said, there are only 30 NBA GM jobs available in the world, and few are available in any given year, so the Raptors will have no problem finding someone to fill the job. Whether thats the person they apparently want - Masai, Phil J, Pritchard etc - given the other options available to them is a different story.

I do hope your right though.
    I hope I'm right too. I definitely think TL is one of the people I described, but I do understand the results-driven perspective. Thing is, if you're hiring a GM -- most likely you're in a dire situation. After all there's no other reason to be hiring someone new.. unless the guy died. So if you're in that bad situation, you'd be looking for someone who had a previous track record of turning things around. So you'd think that most or at least some GMs strive for that kind of challenge to make themselves desirable. On the other hand some guys might pursue the status quo route, so they can get hired by a team whose GM just passed away.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Yeah, I have to agree.

It was made pretty clear he has no say in basketball decisions and if BC forces the issue TL is not going to "fire the Toronto Raptors." There are a lots of things to focus on in his role: 2016 All-Star game, rebranding nonsense, new state of the art training facility.

I would consider myself a pretty hardcore fan and I don't really care which direction they go with the franchise right now. I am just excited for a new direction where ever that takes the franchise.
      I guess perhaps the remaining fascination of BC is that he's still here. He's fired, but not. He has no say on basketball decisions, but it's not like he'll stop talking. It's not like he's signing a gag order to cease and desist. He's still going to be wandering around the building, offering his thoughts on things, and then adding a disclaimer at the end "...but I really have no say on these things."
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
        I guess perhaps the remaining fascination of BC is that he's still here. He's fired, but not. He has no say on basketball decisions, but it's not like he'll stop talking. It's not like he's signing a gag order to cease and desist. He's still going to be wandering around the building, offering his thoughts on things, and then adding a disclaimer at the end "...but I really have no say on these things."
        yeah, that's kind of my thing with the whole situation too...here's our PRESIDENT of BASKETBALL OPERATIONS (or whatever title he'll have), but hey, it's not like he's ALLOWED to give his opinion on anything basketball related unless said opinion is solicited. yeah, nothing weird about that...
        TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
          yertu damkule wrote: View Post
          yeah, that's kind of my thing with the whole situation too...here's our PRESIDENT of BASKETBALL OPERATIONS (or whatever title he'll have), but hey, it's not like he's ALLOWED to give his opinion on anything basketball related unless said opinion is solicited. yeah, nothing weird about that...
          I think it greatly depends on who they hire. I could see a Ujiri hiring or Stefanski promotion being very awkward and strange if there were differing opinions. However, Phil Jackson (and it is clear that possibility is much less than probable) would likely feel no pressure nor would anyone from outside the organization. I see no issue with Colangelo in his role as long as the new GM is brought in from the outside. Whomever is coming in is coming with the agenda to change course however minor or drastic that is. I don't think they want or will take the opinions of the former decision maker - afterall his decisions is what lost him the responsibilities of GM in the first place.

Comment

• After Colangelo: What is next for the Raptors?

**Feel free to merge elsewhere but the goal of this thread is to remove Colangelo centered talk and look to the future**

Stephen Brotherston at HoopsWorld.com has a good article regarding potential new GMs for Toronto.

In the meantime, Leiweke took the obvious steps for a major corporation looking to replace one of their senior executives. He hired a big name executive search firm to run background checks and personally began compiling a list of possible candidates. Leiweke said there are a half a dozen candidates on his list, but he has not been able to get permission to speak to all of them from their current teams. It is believed the list includes former Lakers head coach Phil Jackson, Nuggets general manager and EOY Masai Ujiri, Pacers general manger Kevin Pritchard, Thunder vice-president and assistant general manager Troy Weaver, the Raptors executive vice president of basketball operations Ed Stefanski and possibly former Pacers general manager David Morway among others. Now that Colangelo’s situation has been resolved, Colangelo will be assisting Leiweke in the search.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/after-cola...or-the-raptors
            Interesting list.

Who would you like to see? Or maybe more appropriately, who do you think will be next GM? One of these or another?

Comment

• Pritchard showed a total lack of maturity in his last job near the end and one can argue he wouldn't have got that Blazers team in a great spot without a single owner with deep pockets willing to dump millions into purchasing first rounders.

Comment

• I'm hoping for Ujiri or Weaver. I'm expecting Stephanski, Morway, or Pritchard. I'm neither expecting or hoping for Jackson.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Pritchard showed a total lack of maturity in his last job near the end and one can argue he wouldn't have got that Blazers team in a great spot without a single owner with deep pockets willing to dump millions into purchasing first rounders.
                  In what way? I don't remember much about the circumstances under which he left. I remember it was a pretty odd/messy thing. But I don't remember what the details were at all, and that they reflected poorly on Pritchard.

As for the rest...I thought he had a good eye for talent, especially in terms of targeting prospects. His biggest mistake was probably Oden, but it's hard to know if any GM would've been able to avoid that one. Having a rich owner helped, but he was totally rebuilding a messy situation, and did it quickly, and mostly through getting young pieces.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    In what way? I don't remember much about the circumstances under which he left. I remember it was a pretty odd/messy thing. But I don't remember what the details were at all, and that they reflected poorly on Pritchard.

As for the rest...I thought he had a good eye for talent, especially in terms of targeting prospects. His biggest mistake was probably Oden, but it's hard to know if any GM would've been able to avoid that one. Having a rich owner helped, but he was totally rebuilding a messy situation, and did it quickly, and mostly through getting young pieces.
                    Pritchard was constantly trying to gain more power and control behind the scenes in Portland. Also, he openly asked other GMs and subsequently complained about the salary other GMs were making relative to his own.

Comment

• I voted for Pritchard. Whatever his issues are/were I don't see how it had any impact on what he did in his time in Portland. There were talks of BC and whats his face from the school board not getting along, but it didn't impact what BC did on a day to day basis (quality work or other wise). What we do know is that Pritchard has a good eye for talent and was able to build a solid team in Portland. He also had a good eye for coaches.

Comment

• As I mentioned in another post, with the current structure of Colangelo as President, I think you need someone unassociated with him moving forward. The whole point of a new GM is a new vision, I don't see it with Ujiri and Stefanski.

Jackson is not going to happen. I'd be interested in it happening but realize it won't. Jackson can afford to be patient for a situation that fits him.

Pritchard is not leaving Indiana in my opinion. He is from there and the Pacers are an upper echelon team now. Bird forced brought Pritchard in despite owner and Morway's (GM at time) objection leading to Morway's 'resignation'.

That leaves Weaver and Morway. I don't see Weaver as he has no experience, it just does not seem like a move Leiweke is going to make. It hardly is a big splash but you can say the same thing (splash) about Morway, too.

Supposedly in Indiana Bird/Morway had a falling out over the botched Mayo trade 2 years ago. Morway pushed too hard supposedly. In the end, it didn't matter as the trade did not get to league office in time (by a few minutes). That is just one story that is out there and is nothing more than speculation.

While Bird is getting credit for all of the basketball decisions, Morway was presiding over the salary cap management to make sure those basketball moves fit the plan. Morway was also instrumental in expanding the Pacers scouting and preparation efforts to add more advanced statistical analysis which included adding Kevin Pelton as consultant to provide regular reports.

It is certainly possible that Bird realizes the Pacers front office is moving into a different era and while Morway did a great job of helping clean up the mess, Pritchard has more experience wheeling and dealing to improve the roster. With cap space and player moves in play, that experience will come in handy for the Pacers. Still, Morway seemed to earn a shot at being a part of that process. So what else may be behind the decision?

Morway is rumored to be tough to deal with behind closed doors at the Fieldhouse. I've heard a few different folks within different parts of the organization make disparaging comments about Morway. Whatever he was doing, Morway was getting results. But he was also turning off at least some folks in the organization along the way.

http://www.indycornrows.com/2012/6/9...way-with-kevin
                        It would appear Morway is not going to be influenced by the thoughts or opinions of Colangelo.

**EDIT**

Found a more detailed account of the breakdown between Larry Bird and David Morway:

Sources say the fizzled relationship is the one of the main reasons why Bird plans to replace Morway with Kevin Pritchard as general manager once Bird agrees to a new deal with owner Herb Simon to remain as president when the two meet later this week.

Pritchard was hired to be the Pacers’ director of player personnel last summer.

It takes awhile to earn Bird’s trust and once you burn that bridge he’s done with people. That’s the case right now with Morway.

The final straw with the Bird-Morway relationship, according to those close to the two, came during training camp when the Pacers failed to land O.J. Mayo and then lost out on free agent Jamal Crawford – option No. 2 to be the team’s first shooting guard off the bench – on the same day.

The Pacers had agreed to a sign-and-trade deal that would have sent Josh McRoberts to Memphis for Mayo because the Grizzlies were trying to shed salary. Sources say it was Morway that caused the deal to “fall apart” because he pushed the Grizzlies to take swingman Brandon Rush. Morway did a lot of talking to teams and some of the negotiating. Bird would then step in and make the final decision.

Bird was seething over the blown deal, according to sources. He had lost any remaining trust in Morway after that.

Bird had tried multiple times over the years land Mayo, who he felt would be the one player on the roster that could get his own shot off the dribble.

To make matters worse, Crawford and his agent got tired of waiting on the Pacers to make a decision that they told them the same day the Mayo deal fell apart that they weren’t going to sign with them.

Bird and Morway’s relationship continued to go downhill as the season progressed.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...eplace-morway/
                        It seems to me that Morway is made to be a bit of a scapegoat here. If Bird was the closer and had final say, why didn't he step in and say, "Forget Rush, McBob for Mayo. Done." Same with signing Jamal Crawford. Seems like a case of giving Bird all the credit for good and pushing the blame for bad on Morway.
                        Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed May 22, 2013, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Hop inside the time machine: The Year 2010

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          hateslosing wrote: View Post
                          This is one of the best GM's in basketball....why would they do this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5325352
                          There is no surprise at all here. This has been talked about for a long time now...

As executives of Vulcan Inc. discussed the pros and cons of firing Portland Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard last summer, the discussion found its way to this conclusion: Pritchard had proven to be a solid senior-level scout, but largely incapable of running the organization.
                          Owner Paul Allen and the Vulcan executives no longer trusted him to put the franchise before his own ambitions
                          Inside and outside the organization, Pritchard harped on how much more Portland coach Nate McMillan made than him. He complained to friends, rivals and relative acquaintances, and that played an immense part in the gulf that exists between the front office and coach.

When negotiations became contentious with star Brandon Roy(notes), Pritchard didn’t stand firm with the limits of ownership’s offer. What’s more, Pritchard tried to cozy up to Roy by selling the notion that it was the two of them together trying to get the contracts they deserved from owner Paul Allen. For the unparalleled resources Allen has provided Pritchard to remake the roster – millions in dollars to purchase draft picks, packaging them in trades or stockpiling prospects overseas – Vulcan was beyond irate that Pritchard still couldn’t present a united front when Allen decided to make a financial stand.

It reeked of Pritchard’s desperation and immaturity, and eventually inspired team president Larry Miller to usurp Pritchard in the talks for Roy’s eventual five-year, $82 million deal. Pritchard would go around the NBA, and surprise peers with questions that included, “How much do you make?” before launching into diatribes about how he couldn’t understand why he was so poorly compensated in Portland, especially in comparison to McMillan

Allen and Vulcan ultimately decided to strip some power and autonomy from Pritchard, but decided to keep trotting him out to the things he most loved: news conferences and public appearances.

They left him the public face, but essentially he was neutered,” a league source with direct knowledge of the talks said.
                          Privately, Vulcan executives wish they had gone further and fired him, sources say
                          “The transition away from this regime has already started,” one source with knowledge of ownership’s plans said.
                          Kevin was in a constant battle to position himself to get credit away from Nate for whatever success they were eventually going to have there,” one NBA executive friendly with both said. “Nate knows enough not to flap his gums and pound his chest – especially when your team hasn’t even won a playoff series yet. He’s secure in himself, in a way that Pritchard never knew how to be.

If Kevin just kept his mouth shut, cut out all the arrogance and insecurity, I think he probably would’ve had his extension a long time ago.”
                          Yahoo Sports
                          Source: "Kevin Pritchard Fired? WTF", Raptors Republic Forum

This is why you don't want Pritchard as Raptors GM.

Comment

• Although extremely odd, I personally don't see Colangelo's "new role" being much of a concern because my hunch is that he's out the door as soon as he gets another offer. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens before training camp.

Comment

• Apollo wrote:
                              Yes, he whined and complained repeatedly about his coach making more than him, alienating himself from his own team. He played chicken with an owner who practically bought his reputation but Pritchard didn't blink; he clearly didn't realize he was going to get steam rolled in the process. Pritchard has never had another GM job since and that should tell you about the magnitude of damage his short sighted, egotistical antics created in his career.

He's responsible for that horrible Roy deal. He practically strong armed the team into giving the deal by siding with Roy, going against ownership's strategy; this at the peak of his own salary shenanigans.

How is he going to do it without an owner buying him first round picks? He would be in uncharted waters in Toronto.
                              I thought he was with Indiana now? And they're in the conference finals which tells me he has done a pretty good job with them.

How do you know MLSE won't buy first round picks now that there is new management running basketball operations? We can't assume they are going to continue down the same path. If a new GM comes in with a new vision for the team and how to build it I beleive that new stategies will be employed and perhaps purchasing draft picks is one of them.

Comment

• Acutally, now that you mentioned purchasing first round picks I'm getting more excited about the prospect of Pritchard being hired, what with the upcoming draft loaded with big time prospects.

Comment

Working...
                                X