Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    As I mentioned in another post, with the current structure of Colangelo as President, I think you need someone unassociated with him moving forward. The whole point of a new GM is a new vision, I don't see it with Ujiri and Stefanski.

Jackson is not going to happen. I'd be interested in it happening but realize it won't. Jackson can afford to be patient for a situation that fits him.

Pritchard is not leaving Indiana in my opinion. He is from there and the Pacers are an upper echelon team now. Bird forced brought Pritchard in despite owner and Morway's (GM at time) objection leading to Morway's 'resignation'.

That leaves Weaver and Morway. I don't see Weaver as he has no experience, it just does not seem like a move Leiweke is going to make. It hardly is a big splash but you can say the same thing (splash) about Morway, too.

Supposedly in Indiana Bird/Morway had a falling out over the botched Mayo trade 2 years ago. Morway pushed too hard supposedly. In the end, it didn't matter as the trade did not get to league office in time (by a few minutes). That is just one story that is out there and is nothing more than speculation.

It would appear Morway is not going to be influenced by the thoughts or opinions of Colangelo.
    Morway certainly has a new school style and he's financially responsible and self restrained. You may have sold me with this post. Beyond the organizational strength, is he a strong enough "basketball mind" on his own though? Or would he look to someone else, such as a new right hand man over scouting and has a great track record in analyzing NBA talent? Too bad Zeke burned the bridge out of town because that guy was good at scouting and draft if nothing else in the executive world.

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I thought he was with Indiana now? And they're in the conference finals which tells me he has done a pretty good job with them.

How do you know MLSE won't buy first round picks now that there is new management running basketball operations? We can't assume they are going to continue down the same path. If a new GM comes in with a new vision for the team and how to build it I beleive that new stategies will be employed and perhaps purchasing draft picks is one of them.
    He's not GM so what I said stands. Also, read post #8 and to refresh yourself on his past as a leader. He's a poor leader.

In a high tax system what makes you think teams are going to be so eager to trade their picks to Toronto for money? Wouldn't be more wise to fix the cap instead of band aiding it with cash inflows?

What makes you think MLSE are willing to fork over cash for 1st rounders?

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      I thought he was with Indiana now? And they're in the conference finals which tells me he has done a pretty good job with them.

How do you know MLSE won't buy first round picks now that there is new management running basketball operations? We can't assume they are going to continue down the same path. If a new GM comes in with a new vision for the team and how to build it I beleive that new stategies will be employed and perhaps purchasing draft picks is one of them.
      I think Bird and Morway deserve credit for current state of Pacers. Morway replaced by Pritchard just last June.

Augustin, Ben Hansbrough, Orlando Johnson, Mahinmi, Plumlee, and Young would have Pritchard's finger prints. All else is a combination of Bird and Morway.

**EDIT** I stand corrected:

Pritchard, a former general manager with Portland, played a part in the Pacers signing David West and then with acquiring Leandro Barbosa at the trade deadline.

Bird likes Pritchard’s basketball knowledge. It helps that he has a relationship with him. The two were teammates with the Boston Celtics.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...eplace-morway/
      I did not realize Pritchard was involved with the Pacers in the summer/free agency of 2011.
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed May 22, 2013, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
        Source: "Kevin Pritchard Fired? WTF", Raptors Republic Forum

This is why you don't want Pritchard as Raptors GM.
        Sounds like the Butch Carter of GMs....

Comment

• Moving Forward:

1.) I don't buy that Stefanski would continue Colangelo's vision. He might do that. But I suspect like all of us who "work for" someone, we often muse in our own minds about how "if we ran things it would be different". I also don't see him as the best choice.

2.) I don't see Phil Jackson coming here for two reasons. 1.) Climate , 2.) BC looming overhead. I suspect Phil would want to be GM AND PRES. This is not something I know.

3.) I would gladly take anyone we could out of the front offices of San Antonio.

4.) I feel the GM timeline needs to be accelerated. Because it leads to a domino effect. You want the GM to have time to piece together scenarios, get his own staff in, make any coaching changes BEFORE SUMMER LEAGUE, although I feel like Casey should get one more shot since a little birdie told me that BC is fond of interfering with the coaches.
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Ed will get the job.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• My vote would be for Gar Forman (former GM of the Bulls). He's won an EOY award and got the Bulls the number one seed. Not sure if he's looking for another job but he'd be a guy I'd be interested in.

Essentially I'd want a guy that would be able to get a decent asset for Bargnani, and Forman was able to get someone decent (future first rounder) for Tyrus Thomas.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                Moving Forward:

1.) I don't buy that Stefanski would continue Colangelo's vision. He might do that. But I suspect like all of us who "work for" someone, we often muse in our own minds about how "if we ran things it would be different". I also don't see him as the best choice.

2.) I don't see Phil Jackson coming here for two reasons. 1.) Climate , 2.) BC looming overhead. I suspect Phil would want to be GM AND PRES. This is not something I know.

3.) I would gladly take anyone we could out of the front offices of San Antonio.

4.) I feel the GM timeline needs to be accelerated. Because it leads to a domino effect. You want the GM to have time to piece together scenarios, get his own staff in, make any coaching changes BEFORE SUMMER LEAGUE, although I feel like Casey should get one more shot since a little birdie told me that BC is fond of interfering with the coaches.
                Poor choice of words/phrasing on my part. Influence or meaningful input is my concern. I don't really care if Colangelo stays a part of Toronto, I just don't want him having a say in basketball decisions anymore.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                  Moving Forward:

30 days.

That job will belong to the team's new general manager, whom Leiweke is hoping to have in place within the next 30 days.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=423600

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    Ed will get the job.
                    that made me wince. probably not a good thing.
                    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

• 1. No retreads.
                      2. No Stefanski. No Ujiri. No one else ever associated with this disaster of a team.
                      3. GM who promises to clean house in the management suites, scouting department, advisors, ball boys, mop girls, etc.
                      4. GM with an actual plan, vision. Solid idea of what the team should look like, play like. Specifics on how to get there.
                      5. Well versed on the analytics side. Well versed and experience on scouting side.
                      6. Clear idea about what he wants in a coaching staff.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Although extremely odd, I personally don't see Colangelo's "new role" being much of a concern because my hunch is that he's out the door as soon as he gets another offer. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens before training camp.
                        that's what i'm thinking, but the bloom is off the rose, and from how i'm reading the situation, BC's preference is to be in a basketball-related position...so i'm thinking that unless shit gets real weird, he'll be around until he can land a cushy position, and that could take a while. i'm wondering if they (TL, namely) have given BC a timeframe for finding something else...like, they'll keep him on in some make-believe advisory role in which he's basically the guy from office space hanging out in the basement (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRyY4F7SZxE)...except they'll keep paying him.
                        TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                          1. No retreads.
                          2. No Stefanski. No Ujiri. No one else ever associated with this disaster of a team.
                          3. GM who promises to clean house in the management suites, scouting department, advisors, ball boys, mop girls, etc.
                          4. GM with an actual plan, vision. Solid idea of what the team should look like, play like. Specifics on how to get there.
                          5. Well versed on the analytics side. Well versed and experience on scouting side.
                          6. Clear idea about what he wants in a coaching staff.
                          What do you call a retread?

Ujiri has never been fired - is he one in your opinion?

Morway (according to reports) and Weaver never had final say - are they retreads in your opinion?

**EDIT**

By the way, no snark here in the reply if it comes across that way. Genuine interest.
                          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed May 22, 2013, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                            Source: "Kevin Pritchard Fired? WTF", Raptors Republic Forum

This is why you don't want Pritchard as Raptors GM.

Pritchard took the jailblazers and built the darling of the NBA. He was fired an hour before the draft, yet still continued to do his now no longer job to his full ability - does that sound like someone who is 'immature'?

Lets remember who the owner is here - Paul Allen. A known egotist control freak with a short fuse. And I wonder where most of these disparaging comments about Pritchard came from...... hmmmmm......

If you keep reading the article you see exactly what the 'problem' was - individuals trying to maximize their contractual value and owners not liking it. And it was Allen who had the gaul to do the firing at the most public of moments in the NBA, NBA draft night. Thats not a coincidence. If anyone has followed the Portland executive carousel its pretty clear the problem was never Pritchard.

No one happens to remember that Allen derrailing the lockout negotiations?

Yeah I'm not buying the problem was ever Pritchard, when the person who owns the team has a selfishness and ignorance that puts Kevin O'Leary to shame.

Comment

• I've provided third party accounts with references. One problem was how he tried to get a raise, not the fact that he sought out a raise. That wasn't the only problem.

I've read enough on Pritchard and studied how he assembled that team to tell you I don't want him as the Raptors' GM.

Comment

• Out of curiosity, are people answering who they want to be or who they think will be?

Comment

Working...
                                X