Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT2010 wrote: View Post
    Well, not really a demotion. The man was fired from Philly, so I would say that from unemployed to Asst. GM is a bit promotion, wouldn't you?
    Smartass

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      That is good news.

I could be wrong but my interpretation would mean he is free to get to work now and his commitments in Denver are done.
      It would likely be a conflict of interest to do anything for Denver now anyways
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• How about Lionel Hollins?

He spoke highly of Rudy Gay and was angry when Memphis traded him.

According to ESPN, Memphis is allowing other teams to contact Hollins:
        http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/93...ak-other-teams

Comment

• I did a google search trying to found out how long Jim Kelly has been with the Raps...since the beginning as a talent evaluator ...and I found this 2 year old thread as one of the first results, freakin hilarious. Which is also where I got the answer since it had a link to a Star article. The thread is about these 2 guys, Kelly and Gherardini, possibly having their jobs changed in some way.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...and-Jim-Kelly)

Like this post

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
          Gheradini has done a lot for Basketball Canada. For all his faults I can't hate on that. Kelly on the other hand...he's the main assessor of talent we have... his list of misses is brutal. He's needed to retire for some time. As selfish as it sounds, I would have never let Masai go. I would have promoted him to GM. I think all this shuffling is cosmetic and too late. BC had the right guy here and now talk of bringing in a GM to handle the President role is lip service.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            How about Lionel Hollins?

He spoke highly of Rudy Gay and was angry when Memphis traded him.

According to ESPN, Memphis is allowing other teams to contact Hollins:
            http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/93...ak-other-teams
            Sure...As long as his offense isn't as slow. Randolph and Gasol don't really let you play fast though.

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
              Matt Barnes... Andris Beidrins?
              Yeah, those guys too. Biedrins was even playing well in those earlier seasons.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                I did a google search trying to found out how long Jim Kelly has been with the Raps...since the beginning as a talent evaluator ...and I found this 2 year old thread as one of the first results, freakin hilarious. Which is also where I got the answer since it had a link to a Star article. The thread is about these 2 guys, Kelly and Gherardini, possibly having their jobs changed in some way.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...and-Jim-Kelly)

Like this post
                blackjitsu is our very own Nostradamus.

Comment

• Usagi_yo_Jimbo wrote: View Post
                  Anybody here know if or when Masai will have a press conference soon? Pretty exicted to hear what direction he's going to take this team.
                  "Ujiri, officially hired Friday on a five-year deal worth a reported $15 million, is expected to meet with the media Tuesday in Toronto."
                  The Star

Comment

• I'm actually pretty excited to see if Kelly's replacement is good. Might take awhile though since they have no pick for this year as it stands. Still though, Ujiri came up through the scouting ranks. He may have a really good read on who's right for the job.

Comment

• Have Tim throw some money at this guy:

Come on Stan its been a while since you coached, mull the Raptors generous offer and also just for you they will throw all you can eat Mandarin restaurant buffet for free.

Comment

• phez wrote: View Post
                        What didn't you like about Raptors scouting?

I won't argue that it was weird that they went against pretty much every draft prediction for the past couple of years. But at the same time I'm not going to sit here and say they were bad picks, far from it.
                        Scouting isn't just for draft picks. It also includes scouting potential free agents, D League prospects, potential trade candidates. For instance someone like Dominic McGuire would have been put on a list for BC fitting whatever type of player he wanted researched, same with Rasual Butler, etc. The fastest way to see the quality of scouts the Raps had is looking at the Raptors D League call up history.

Link
                        Justin Dentmon Austin Toros Toronto Raptors Apr 6, 2012 PG 6-0 185 26 0
                        Ben Uzoh Rio Grande Valley Vipers Toronto Raptors Mar 27, 2012 PG 6-3 205 24 1
                        Alan Anderson Canton Charge Toronto Raptors Mar 26, 2012 SG/SF 6-6 220 29 2
                        Trey Johnson Bakersfield Jam Toronto Raptors Jan 26, 2011 SG/SF 6-5 218 26 1
                        Quincy Douby Erie BayHawks Toronto Raptors Mar 24, 2009 G 6-3 175 24 2
                        Pops Mensah-Bonsu Austin Toros Toronto Raptors Mar 5, 2009 F 6-10 240 25 1
                        Luke Jackson Idaho Stampede Toronto Raptors Mar 25, 2007 F-G 6-7 215 25 2
                        James Lang Arkansas RimRockers Toronto Raptors Mar 27, 2006 C 6-10 285 22 2
                        Andre Barrett Florida Flame Toronto Raptors Mar 15, 2006 G 5-10 173 24 1
                        Omar Cook Fayetteville Patriots Toronto Raptors Apr 9, 2005 G 6-2 190 23 3
                        Damone Brown North Charleston Lowgators Toronto Raptors Jan 14, 2003 F 6-9 200 23 1
                        Rafer Alston Mobile Revelers Toronto Raptors Jan 8, 2003 G 6-2 175 26 3

Only AA and Rafer (different GM) resemble NBA players, though Center is always a spot of need they only found one center worth looking at? Meanwhile GSW 19 callups, SAS 24...But that's not the problem. The only stat the Raptors used for call ups is ppg. Dentmon was @ 22ppg, Uzoh was at 14ppg, but only .240 from 3 and 4 assists, Trey 25 ppg, Douby 18 ppg (.296 from 3)... and on and on...you could say Trey was a miss, but it's like there not even watching film, just reading boxscores and recommending people. And these are games NBA.com shows for free. Seriously. This angers me every year because I watch the odd D-league game, and every year I wonder what they are doing. These callups show a serious lack of creativity.

Personally, scouting for scorers in the D League is the worst thing you can do. You're better off looking for rebounders, pass-first PGs, defenders. The nature of the D League game forces everyone to try to score to get attention. Better scouts can see through that...

That's the group of people the Raps had watching garbage time at the end of NBA games to find a gem? Traveling to Junior Colleges, CIS games, Div 3 games on a hunch or rumor? I see a bunch of guards who never were going to fit the roster, a couple NBA washouts, and a handful of players with inflated ppg.s... 3 players worth looking at Alston, Trey, and AA.

Then there's the Raps 2nd round draft history. Babcock actually drafted a few guys who had a cup of coffee in the NBA. Colangelo waited until the past season to get an actual player. Remember a huge chunk of this staff is from the purple Raptors.
                        Look how many misses in both rounds... Also look how few made it past there second contract...

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/tea.../Draft_History

I could go on, but why? I mean PJ tucker made it back to the league, and Andrea will make it past his 2nd contract...right? I'm just seeing things?....
                        Last edited by blackjitsu; Sun Jun 2, 2013, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Well the only way you can change the culture of a team is to get rid of the old guard with the new. I am sure Ujiri like the rest of the Raptors nation would like to know from coach Casey why Bargnani was given so many minutes when healthy when he clearly was inefficient and harmed his team, while claiming Casey promoted a culture of accountability?!

Comment

blackjitsu is our very own Nostradamus.
                            No. It was just obvious to me. I don't think I was the only one who thought it, I just wrote it first.

Comment

A lot of people were worried, myself included, that him coming in with a lot of the close relationships would mean more of the same!

Boy were a lot of us, myself included, WRONG!

It would seem Ujiri is actually having the opposite effect. Maybe he knows exactly who needs to go and is going to do that.

How Jim Kelly lasted this long, I"ll never know, but with him gone it looks like there is a real changing of the guard.
                              He was riding in the backseat here for some time. I guess long enough to know what he doesn't want on his team.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              He was on hand for some of the biggest draft day f*ck ups of all time:

DeRozan versus so many point guards in 2009
                              Joey Graham vs. Grangers in 2005
                              Rafael Araujo vs. Igoudala in 2004

I can live with DeRozan pick - it wasn't bad by any stretch. However in 2004 and 2005 I was literally screaming at the TV.
                              Do his defense, Granger had red flags on his knees and a lot of teams passed on him because of it. I remember that draft clearly. Steven A. Smith criticized Babcock, not for taking Charilie V and Joey G but for in the order in which he selected them. He thought Joey was a top ten, so did a bunch of people.

Hoffa on the other hand, that one stunk to high heaven and Kelly was a lot to blame. Babcock had just arrived a few weeks prior to the draft and the T-Wolves(where he came from) had no picks that year if I remember correctly and so they weren't out there scouting like a lot of teams. So Babcock had to rely heavily on the scouting department and they recommended Hoffa out of need and passed on Iggy to take him... Had they drafted Iggy, maybe Carter wouldn't have ended up bailing on the club, who knows. The Hoffa pick was the worst in franchise history...

Comment

• I feel like this transitional period of firing Colangelo and bringing in Ujiri has been far too nonchalant. The hype around the hate and eventual replacement did not garner enough celebration.

Allow me to start:

HOLY SHIT COLANGELO IS NO LONGER INVOLVED WITH OUR BASKETBALL TEAM. FUCK. YES!

Comment

Working...
                                X