Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another unique situation is Greg Popovich is the President and Coach of the Spurs, but RC Buford is the GM.

And in Dallas, Mark Cuban essentially plays Owner/President and yet they have Donnie Nelson on board as GM.

But the actual differences between the roles are generally team specific I would imagine.

Comment

Nelson also carries the title of VP (or president?) of basketball operations, while Buford is president of sports operations. In Buford's case that means that he does more than just handle the Spurs, but e.g. also their D-league team. I'm guessing something similar is the case for Nelson, because he owns part of their D-league team. If I'm correct.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        But the actual differences between the roles are generally team specific I would imagine.
        Very true. In some teams, the President plays an active role and in others the position is nominal.
        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
          Why does everyone want the Zen Master so bad? He's a coach, and he's never been anything more. Sure, past experience does not predicate success. But no past experience is, in my opinion, usually doomed to failure. I'd like someone a little more familiar with the job than a legendary coach.
          He could always take over if his vision is not being implemented....

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            The difference is Colangelo led the Nash chase while Tim Leiweke leads the Jackson chase.
            Big difference.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
              He got surgery so he could have 12 digits (2 donated from Jon Stockton) for his 11 Rings
              Hahaha wow, i feel so stupid now. Didn't notice the fingers at all

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                Curses are viable to some interesting story unrelated to the Raptors.... 18 years of straight loses is a long time really will make a person believe in that kind of thing lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Colonel
                Blue Jays have not been in playoffs for 20 years. Are they cursed too?

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
                  totally
                  Kobe's career may be over......knowing our luck we get him and he cannot play.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                    You seriously believe the team is cursed? Really? Is this 1692?
                    Yes, as serious as starting a new religion called Leiwekism

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      Strictly speaking, I've always understood the roles to be different, though often filled by a single person.

The GM's duties include:
                      - managing coaching staff, including hiring/firing
                      - roster management, such as drafting players, negotiating contracts and trading

The President's duties include:
                      - managing GM and executive staff, including hiring/firing
                      - liaison between ownership and managment
                      - overseeing management of all team departments, both team (GM) and organization related (senior managers from various standard corporate departments, such as HR, finance, marketing, etc...)

In the Pat Riley role, Jackson would become the President and either also be the GM or rule over a GM. In an advisory role, he could either be the President or sit in a special role between the President in GM, so that it's his strategic direction that the GM implements.

Of course, this is all based on assumption and conjecture, based on following far too many teams for far too long...
                      Its whatever the board decides them to be. Pat Riley is still 'President' but with the roles of GM, with the heat having no person with the GM title.

Comment

Just a thought, but isn't Bryan known to be both, president and GM of basketball operations?
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Before Stefanski was brought in I believe he was President of basketball ops and GM, I believe Stefanski has the GM position now?
                          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Nope, Stefanski has some sort of ludicrous VP title, something to do with basketball operations.

BC is President and GM.

Comment

ESPN just put out an article on different possible landing spots for Phil Jackson. The Raptors came in as the most likely possibility:

1. Toronto Raptors

This has been the hot rumor, but even if it weren't, the Raptors would make a lot of sense. They have a young, talented roster, though not one that is necessarily fitted with Jacksonian-type players. Toronto's cap situation isn't the best, and that remains true even if you use the amnesty tag on Andrea Bargnani.

However, Jackson is pals with Tim Leiweke, who was recently named CEO of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, which counts the Raptors as one of its numerous sports holdings. Leiweke is on the short list of the most powerful people in sports, and if he and Jackson want to get together, the presence of Ed Stefanski, Bryan Colangelo and Dwane Casey -- all capable people -- is not going to stand in his way.

And not for nothing, Jackson is a huge fan of Alex McKechnie, Toronto's director of sports science. Jackson knows how valuable a capable training staff is in the NBA, and worked with McKechnie in L.A.
                              The rest of the article can be found here (Insider): http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/playo...t-phil-jackson
                              http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Damn, I wish this stuff would stop appearing. Only going to make it hurt all the more if he goes someplace else.

Comment

Working...
                                X