Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Sam Mitchell chimes in I love it when they call him up for his 2 cents lol.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-reassignment/
    He makes a solid point. What new GM will want to work here, with the former GM above him and watching everything he does? ESPECIALLY if it's Ujiri?
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• I thought Colangelo will have no say in basketball operations. He's cut off.

Comment

• When Lieweke says "...he is going to have to live with that" speaking of BC and the new order...that seems unusually a harsh pick of words and quite curious... as if this wasnt the most desirable outcome of current events. BC isnt going to be around for too long imo.

Comment

• There is probably a huge payout (severance) owed to him if he were to get axed. By relocating him to a different role it's much less expensive to the organization. That's my guess.

This demotion may spur him to leave on his own terms and in doing so they're off the hook. Maybe Lieweke is referring to the fact that playing the waiting game with Colangelo didn't get him blinking first? This is all pure speculation on my part.

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
            He makes a solid point. What new GM will want to work here, with the former GM above him and watching everything he does? ESPECIALLY if it's Ujiri?
            thats a dumb point. the gm is the fucking gm. you can point and laugh all day at colangelo. im sure many people would love to have that job.

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
              Another interesting point, which I hadn't really considered: by replacing Colangelo, management is essentially saying that they do not believe in the team that he's built, and that the incumbent should make major changes.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• “I don’t believe I’m being pushed off into a corner somewhere,” Colangelo said. “I think I’m going to be used in a fashion that my 18 years of experience is going to be tapped into, not just by Tim but by the new GM.”

Comment

• They say that "Denial" is the first stage of grief and loss.

Comment

• I don't give two shits if BC is the president. The new GM will be making the basketball decisions, and that's all I really care about

Comment

• I may be the only one happy that BC is still here, like it or not its a good move and if it doesnt work they can fire him, BC has a lot of connections that can benefit the Raps even if it didnt pan out with him calling the shots and building the team it can help the organization as a whole. All because fans either dont respect him or like doesnt mean he isnt loved and admired by his peers in the league which is what really matters.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                        There is probably a huge payout (severance) owed to him if he were to get axed. By relocating him to a different role it's much less expensive to the organization. That's my guess.

This demotion may spur him to leave on his own terms and in doing so they're off the hook. Maybe Lieweke is referring to the fact that playing the waiting game with Colangelo didn't get him blinking first? This is all pure speculation on my part.
                        The whole thing is odd. Your speculation is as good as any, although, my understanding is that the team had an option, so, presumably it wouldn't have cost them anything to not exersice it.

I suspect it's partly to allow BC to look for another job, get paid, and not have the stigma of a firing. We did this at my old law firm when we'd fire lawyers (even crappy ones). Instead of severance, they'd let the guy hang around for 3 months doing nothing until he got another job. The firm could say it didn't fire anyone and the guy got to say he left on his own terms....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                          Putting aside the re-branding stuff, wasn't this one of the most bizarre morning of pressers in Raptors history?

The president of MLSE comes out and announces that the GM is being fired but staying on a president. Even though (as TL pointed out 1,000,000 times) he will have no say in basketball decisions BUT, they are keeping him for his knowledge EVEN THOUGH it wasn't ideal how things worked out. Then he whacks BC a few times before going on a stream of consciousness about re-branding the team and building stuff.

Then, BC comes up and says TL mischaracterized his feelings about being fired and admits he's disappointed in the whole thing. Followed by the bizarre spectacle of having a recently fired GM talk about his new role in a club where he has no say but is being kept on for his experience and knowledge.

I have been watching sports for 30 years and this is one of the strangest management happenings I have ever seen.

Oh, and by the way, they still don't have a GM....
                          Great wrap-up.

Is Tim Leiweke the new Colangelo?

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/05/21/toronto-raptors-are-drowning-under-a-massive-tidal-wave-of-egos-and-indecision/

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            The whole thing is odd. Your speculation is as good as any, although, my understanding is that the team had an option, so, presumably it wouldn't have cost them anything to not exersice it.

I suspect it's partly to allow BC to look for another job, get paid, and not have the stigma of a firing. We did this at my old law firm when we'd fire lawyers (even crappy ones). Instead of severance, they'd let the guy hang around for 3 months doing nothing until he got another job. The firm could say it didn't fire anyone and the guy got to say he left on his own terms....
                            You and Apollo have good speculation going.

Like players, he might have had guaranteed money atached if the contract was not picked up.

Some of Leiweke comments were really strange. I have been travelling the last week. Looking forward to getting home to get as much info that I can.

Comment

• Is this not the Brian Burke situation 2.0?
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                                Another interesting point, which I hadn't really considered: by replacing Colangelo, management is essentially saying that they do not believe in the team that he's built, and that the incumbent should make major changes.
                                ... you could make that point about literally every single GM change outside of ones following the tragic death of the GM in question.

Comment

Working...
                                X