Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lot of people were worried, myself included, that him coming in with a lot of the close relationships would mean more of the same!

Boy were a lot of us, myself included, WRONG!

It would seem Ujiri is actually having the opposite effect. Maybe he knows exactly who needs to go and is going to do that.

How Jim Kelly lasted this long, I"ll never know, but with him gone it looks like there is a real changing of the guard.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
      Wonder if Ujiri is in town. He isnt doing this long distance or by email is he?

And why arent our own intrepid ink stained wretches breaking such news...oh I forgot its the weekend.
      I think Doug Smith actually broke the news.. He's the one that mentioned that Kelly/Pendergraft were released:
      http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...ing_house.html

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
        Fan 590 is reporting that he is firing a huge chunk of the scouting staff...looking for confirmation now...This is good news.

EDIT: Found the report.

Link

I like this. These are very specific moves, rather than getting rid of every body. Only someone with knowledge of the team could make these moves. So relieved Kelly is gone. He's been with the Raptors forever... Wish him luck, but always wondered how he kept his job through so many regimes. He started with the team in 1994! What the hell!
        Yes, I am also relieved Kelly is gone. It really made no sense that he was kept around so long. Maybe the organization felt really loyal because he was probably a major voice in a lot of early draftings? Maybe he hasn't expanded the scouting department since he got here, which really worked for old ownership's reluctance to spend?

This team needs these changes more than anything else. At least with Ujiri the team will get it's first actual fresh start in terms of a totally new perspective from the top down (new ownership, new CEO, new GM, new top scout....these are all good things).

I don't think, or expect, changes to the roster will happen as quickly, but pace isn't as important there as piecing things together properly. Front office definitely needed to be fully changed and new one put in place well before draft.

Comment

• The bonus of all this is it also likely will make BC look for a new job even harder.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
            ya, but did you have to quote the whole thing?? Takes up a lot of space on my browser screen..aha.

Good article. But, it also downplays Ujiri a little bit.
            The "downplay" is what I appreciated about the piece ...instead of a absolute fawn. The writer says he considered Masai a friend as well. Also this came off a blogsite whose viewership were absolutely shattered by the decision and I think the writer was trying to present a "this is not the end of the world" piece and that Ujiri is not flawless. But who is? The batting average just needs to be up there...lol.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              The bonus of all this is it also likely will make BC look for a new job even harder.
              It might also make actually trying to find a job harder as well... Ujiri cleaning house this fast gives off the impression that BC hired all the wrong people in the first place. What organization wants to take that chance?
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• If you want compete, you gotta have good front-office. Let's hope Ujiri will hire good guys.

Comment

• Now the coaching staff........
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                    It might also make actually trying to find a job harder as well... Ujiri cleaning house this fast gives off the impression that BC hired all the wrong people in the first place. What organization wants to take that chance?
                    Nah...I mean it won't make it harder for him than it already was. It's normal for this amount of change to take place, snowballing from the top-down when there's new ownership, a new CEO, now a new GM...

Now, I think it will have no real impact, but I also think BC is going ot have a tough time finding the job he wants at the moment no matter what else happens with the Raptors. Is there anybody who thinks he didn't look for a new job before they announced his demotion? Pretty sure no one hires him this summer. That may even work in his favour if Toronto shows some positive growth next year, which he can partly take credit for when shopping himself to teams.

Comment

Fan 590 is reporting that he is firing a huge chunk of the scouting staff...looking for confirmation now...This is good news.

EDIT: Found the report.

Link

I like this. These are very specific moves, rather than getting rid of every body. Only someone with knowledge of the team could make these moves. So relieved Kelly is gone. He's been with the Raptors forever... Wish him luck, but always wondered how he kept his job through so many regimes. He started with the team in 1994! What the hell!
                      +1

Jim Kelly had a hand in a lot of terrible selections, whether just as a yes man or not, I'm glad he's out!
                      i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                        Now the coaching staff........
                        Don't be surprised if he retools the roster first. It could have a lot to do with the kind of coaches they need from player development all the way to the head coach. I think Casey will play out this season
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Gone along with Stefanski are long-time scout Jim Kelly, pro scouting director, vice-president of pro scouting Dave Pendergraft and two regional college scouts.
                          Finally, some legit change. I don't blame him for wanting nothing to do with anything in this failed organization. Wipe it clean and bring in your own people who have something to prove. Love it.

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                            Though I think it's dumb, it's not even close to being racist. Many people favour things they know better and/or are more accustomed to, that's the basis of thinking that.
                            I get it. I just think if your GM you make the effort to learn. It's lazy for a GM to draft a Nigerian player because he knows him.
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                              The "downplay" is what I appreciated about the piece ...instead of a absolute fawn. The writer says he considered Masai a friend as well. Also this came off a blogsite whose viewership were absolutely shattered by the decision and I think the writer was trying to present a "this is not the end of the world" piece and that Ujiri is not flawless. But who is? The batting average just needs to be up there...lol.
                              The Incredible Hulk is pretty flawless..haha. But, yes it's an honest article and takes into account both perspectives.
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                                Finally, some legit change. I don't blame him for wanting nothing to do with anything in this failed organization. Wipe it clean and bring in your own people who have something to prove. Love it.
                                Yep, very pleased to see him cleaning out some of the dead wood here. The stench of losing in Toronto is strong. Needs a lot of disinfectant....

Comment

Working...
                                X