Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The article only mentions head coach search, so that will only last a handful of weeks at most. You guys can still keep your hopes up (lol)

Comment

This confirms to me that Phil Jackson has essentially agreed to a position with the Raptors. It creates a smokescreen which deflects additional deals, gives Jackson a payday while keeping his name in the news and just adds to his credibility when the Pistons choose their next great coach. Clearly a mastermind move by Leiweke to muddy the waters while he and Jackson work out the final details of Phils contract with MLSE. Book it!
      Last edited by Puffer; Fri May 3, 2013, 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling, gratuitous comment

Comment

Bloody hell.

Comment

Detroit? What? Why?

Totally baffled by this development.

Comment

I feel Detroit asked him to be a coach, he said no (probably has other plans.. Raptors?), and they responded 'well at least help us find one?'

He is not committed in any way shape or form. He is helping them to find a coach to suit their team. Thats it!
            I actually think the fact that he is only advising for them a good sign that he is thinking seriously about joining the Raptors.

Taking a look at that list, the Raptors have a much more favorable situation than the top 5 likely choices.

I am starting to get excited.
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              Detroit? What? Why?

Totally baffled by this development.
              Its not a commitment, he is advising them on which coach they should pick. He wasnt given a position.
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                Its not a commitment, he is advising them on which coach they should pick. He wasnt given a position.
                As long as he doesn't say "me", we should be okay still.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

I feel Detroit asked him to be a coach, he said no (probably has other plans.. Raptors?), and they responded 'well at least help us find one?'

He is not committed in any way shape or form. He is helping them to find a coach to suit their team. Thats it!
                  I actually think the fact that he is only advising for them a good sign that he is thinking seriously about joining the Raptors.

Taking a look at that list, the Raptors have a much more favorable situation than the top 5 likely choices.

100% correct.

Comment

Wouldn't it be a conflict of interest to advise for one team while planning to join the management team of another? I don't think Phil will be joining the Raptors in any role, shape or form. Face it bitches, we're cursed.

Comment

Comment

Nothing is etched in stone with regards to that Pistons 'job'. Flip Saunders for example was a consultant to the Celtics just last spring, and is now part owner/GM of the Timberwolves.

As long as he doesn't have a contract it means nothing.

The only interesting thing about all this is that the Pistons are in the Eastern conference and could be considered a rival to the Raptors (rival not being completely accurate, just that both teams have been terrible for a long time). This would be a great opportunity for Phil to sabotage another team by having them hire a crappy coach.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Nothing is etched in stone with regards to that Pistons 'job'. Flip Saunders for example was a consultant to the Celtics just last spring, and is now part owner/GM of the Timberwolves.

As long as he doesn't have a contract it means nothing.

The only interesting thing about all this is that the Pistons are in the Eastern conference and could be considered a rival to the Raptors (rival not being completely accurate, just that both teams have been terrible for a long time). This would be a great opportunity for Phil to sabotage another team by having them hire a crappy coach.
                          That is interesting. I did not know that.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            That is interesting. I did not know that.
                            I learned that the other day.. here was the source:
                            http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...eplacing-kahn/

He later coached the Detroit Pistons, going 176-70 from 2005-2008 near the end of the Pistons’ dominant Eastern Conference run, and the Washington Wizards, where the Gilbert Arenas gun situation blew up a potential playoff team. The Wizards went 51-130 with Saunders before he was fired in January 2012. Last spring, Saunders served as a consultant to the Boston Celtics at the invitation of coach Doc Rivers. He joined ESPN’s NBA coverage crew this season.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                              He got surgery so he could have 12 digits (2 donated from Jon Stockton) for his 11 Rings
                              lol

Comment

I think it's still pretty surprising. He knows the owner, but still, why advise for another team right before taking a different job? Random. Even stranger if he does land with the Raps or another East team. Maybe it is a smokescreen so that there are less stories about him until he decides on a real job.

Comment

Working...
                                X