View Poll Results: Who do you think will be next GM of the Toronto Raptors?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phil Jackson

2 4.55%
  • Masai Ujiri

23 52.27%
  • Kevin Pritchard

6 13.64%
  • Troy Weaver

6 13.64%
  • David Morway

1 2.27%
  • Ed Stefanski

5 11.36%
  • Other (please name names)

1 2.27%
Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Post Thanks / Like

random fox sports newsie from ohio says colangelo is gone!

Sam Amico: Word of Toronto suggests this very well could be Bryan Colangelo's final week as Raptors GM. And no, Phil Jackson won't be replacing him. Twitter @SamAmicoFSO

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Doug Smith reporting a head-hunting firm has been hired to find Colangelo's replacement:

And Leiweke is not conducting the search for a possible replacement on his own; multiple NBA sources say MLSE has hired a head-hunting firm to whittle down a list of possible replacements.

Two names being tossed around NBA circles at the league’s annual draft combine are Kevin Pritchard, currently the general manager of the Indiana Pacers and Troy Weaver, the vice-president and assistant general manager of the Oklahoma City Thunder.
    One theory being bandied about at the combine is that Leiweke is just doing basic business due diligence and could decide the management team already in place — Colangelo and vice-president Ed Stefanski — deserves at least another year on the job.
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...urces_say.html
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

3. Like connected liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it me or hasn't Casey mentioned Indiana and OKC as benchmarks for this team in the past? Why do I think Casey is staying in some capacity but Colangelo is going? The other thing that the article mentions is that there are no "star" candidates...who cares if there are star candidates? The Raps went down that path already. How about substance?

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can get behind the idea of Kevin Pritchard.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MLSE hires firm to look for possible replacement

According to NBA sources, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment — and new chief executive officer Tim Leiweke — has to decide by Monday on whether to pick up Colangelo’s option year for 2013-14.
    That will end a drawn-out saga of Colangelo’s future that’s been in question since Leiweke took over as the majordomo at Maple Leaf Sports last month.
    While not officially on the job yet, Leiweke has been given all responsibility to determine Colangelo’s fate. The two men have met and discussed plans for the Raptors future but neither has spoken publicly about their feelings.
    And Leiweke is not conducting the search for a possible replacement on his own; multiple NBA sources say MLSE has hired a head-hunting firm to whittle down a list of possible replacements.
    Two names being tossed around NBA circles at the league’s annual draft combine are Kevin Pritchard, currently the general manager of the Indiana Pacers and Troy Weaver, the vice-president and assistant general manager of the Oklahoma City Thunder.
    There may be others on any short list compiled by the unnamed search firm but neither of those are seen as the slam-dunk, high-profile executives many were expecting to emerge from Leiweke’s search.
    Link

Change is coming people

7. Like connected liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Is it me or hasn't Casey mentioned Indiana and OKC as benchmarks for this team in the past? Why do I think Casey is staying in some capacity but Colangelo is going? The other thing that the article mentions is that there are no "star" candidates...who cares if there are star candidates? The Raps went down that path already. How about substance?
    Or they're setting us all up to be able to say:

"Our due dilligence found that there were not star candidates that we felt would have a profound immediate impact on the current roster, any more than the current management team, so we felt it was in the organization's best interests to pickup BC's option and let him see his vision through. Given the roster turnover last year, as a result of trades and rookies, we feel that this group deserves a chance to see what they can do together. Organic growth, yatta yatta yatta."

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Or they're setting us all up to be able to say:

"Our due dilligence found that there were not star candidates that we felt would have a profound immediate impact on the current roster, any more than the current management team, so we felt it was in the organization's best interests to pickup BC's option and let him see his vision through. Given the roster turnover last year, as a result of trades and rookies, we feel that this group deserves a chance to see what they can do together. Organic growth, yatta yatta yatta."
    I hope you're wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Oof i'd be all for hiring Weaver
    @jerboat

11. Like connected liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam Mitchell for GM because hey MLSE is all about bad choices and how about another couple years of mediocrity hurray Raps!

*Raptor Fan Negativity

seriously though interesting news and Casey being out of the news isnt new his fate is ultimately decided by whoever replaces Colangelo to run the team. Id like him to stay though could care less about BC after 7 years hes starting to get an idea together too late man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Weaver's name always comes up in these things. Same with Pritchard. It might just be people guessing and picking the usual suspects as possiblities.

I know Pritchard's baggage but he still seems like the kind of creative manager you need for a place like Toronto. The kind of guy we thought Colangelo was when he got here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Weaver was credited with getting Melo to Syracuse. He apparently was also Westbrook's champion in that draft and pushed hard for him. He has a good pedigree: Syrcause, Utah and OKC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Weaver's name always comes up in these things. Same with Pritchard. It might just be people guessing and picking the usual suspects as possiblities.

I know Pritchard's baggage but he still seems like the kind of creative manager you need for a place like Toronto. The kind of guy we thought Colangelo was when he got here.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Post Thanks / Like

Weaver was credited with getting Melo to Syracuse. He apparently was also Westbrook's champion in that draft and pushed hard for him. He has a good pedigree: Syrcause, Utah and OKC.
    Funny, I really don't have an opinion on Weaver, but even those 2 players are supremely talented, they're both 2 players I don't particularly like and wouldn't want my team built around (ideally...obviously I'd rather build around either of those guys than Andrea Bargnani or Rudy Gay).

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Call me crazy but i'd rather build around Gay than Melo.

Raptors Republic Starter connected's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    you crazy

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Pritchard's contract up? Just wondering if it's even possible to get a guy who's currently the Pacers GM.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote connected wrote: View Post
    you crazy
    You could put up a good argument that Rudy Gay is better than Melo. Besides scoring there is nothing Melo is better at than Rudy, plus he's a shit defender

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Totally agree.

It's not even called "building a team around him" if it's Melo. It's more like "get guys to run alongside and rebound his countless amount of forced isolations".
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    It's funny in a morbid, ironic way, but I think the unexpected early success the Raptors enjoyed under BC was the very cause of his eventual undoing. He viewed the success that year as being a legitimate indicator of the talent/potential of that group of players, which led to Bosh being branded a franchise player and an annual barrage of band-aid solutions in a miserable attempt to build around Bosh. If the team had simply showed some improvement as a young team, without skyrocketing to a division championship, the past 7 years may have turned out much differently.

As an aside, I also think Sam Mitchell would have been fired after BC's first season, had it not been for the COY award that came as a result of the team's unexpected division win.
    There was another significant faux pas....trying to institute the so called "North Phoenix" run & gun style of play and either drafting or trading or coaching (until Casey) without defense as a vision for the team.

Post Thanks / Like

While I totally get what you're saying, I'm not sure you can discount Colangelo's 'creativity'. Lol While it often times backfired in his face, he has never lacked for creativity in my books.
    He did turn a #12 pick into Kyle Lowry and then an expiring + Ed into Rudy Gay. While both those moves are yet to be determined a success, I'd say they were awfully creative and great moves for the franchise.

If Colangelo gets fired, the Raptors will likely end up in a similar situation as the Leafs - as it was essentially Burke's team that made the playoffs and is seen as a few moves away from being 'there' and getting nothing but better over the next couple of years.
    Last edited by Joey; Fri May 17th, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. That’s nice." Terrence Ross

Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread Information