Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    No bench.

Tell us how many times AA had a 25+ point night and saved us from a loss. I'd say at least 3 times.
    and when he was off he was off 1 man does not make a bench especially with no back up Point. Maybe im a blind optimist but I believe the team can be saved tweaking the current iteration, its going to take a LOT of tweaking though.

Comment

• http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bryan-c...181400321.html

"It was expected there would be some resolution in time for the company's meeting of the board, scheduled for Wednesday but according to sources the board - who have ceded the decision on Raptors personnel to Leiweke - is prepared to wait a little longer to make a decision about Colangelo's current deal or offering him an extension," Michael Grange wrote on Sportsnet. "That timeline may not suit Colangelo and there is some suggestion that he may take action preemptively and offer his resignation in the coming days."
      The past month hasn't been too kind to Colangelo as rumours of Phil Jackson taking over his job surfaced and he was forced to sell himself to the board and new CEO Tim Leiweke. That sell job happened nearly a week ago and the board doesn't appear close to deciding to pick up the option on the upcoming year of Colangelo's contract, extend him or cut him loose.
      "I'm not going to let the board dictate the timing on this and this is no disrespect to the board," Leiweke told Sportsnet. "That's not the right way to do this. I think it's a matter of whatever time that takes is what it takes, we're not going to knee jerk. I'm not going to let the board overrule the time and to their credit, they haven't asked it. They've been very patient. It wouldn't shock me that if at the end of the day, if I'm not going to give him a vote of confidence, he moves on."
      Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
        The organic growth? Come on. From whom? Gay is in his 8th year. He isn't getting any better. He is what he is. Derozan has been the exact same player in terms of his statistical impact for the last 3 years. Lowry has levelled off production wise. And what more can we expect from Amir? Dude has improved enormously. What's left? You can't expect him to keep making huge jumps each year. That leaves you with JV.

So, yeah, Gay, Derozan and Lowry might get a little better but you are then expecting career years from all 3 guys. At the same time. Along with career years from JV and Amir. That's a lot to ask. Jose Bautista made a great comment going into this year about the previous year's Jays and it was something like, "if you are counting on guys who hit 10 home runs to hit 30 and guys who hit 230 to hit 300, you are in trouble". It's baseball but it applies here as well. If you are relying on guys who are 20% 3 pt shooters to shoot 35%, you are in trouble (and so on).

You can't simply expect that everyone gets better every year and plays better together and you have no injuries. The GMs and owners who sell that line are generally selling snake oil.
        Are you saying this team would not be better with a full training camp? Rudy Gay just had lazor eyes sergury. You saying that wont help with his shooting? No one expecting career years. If he has the same year as his second year. If he does this team is a lot better. DeMar doesn't need to have a career year either. Just needs to improve his 3 point shotting. JV every year from now for a could years will have a career year. His just too talented and humble not to get better. You forget about Ross too.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
          I do not agree with this assertion at all. The 2006/07 team had Chris Bosh (one of the most efficent big men in the history of basketball and a top 20 player), an effective and in their primes PG duo in Ford/Calderon; solid veterans in Parker, Peterson, Nesterovic and Garbo who complimented Bosh and the PGs perfectly. That roster was also better suited to the new NBA game. This roster has: a second year centre who is years away from his prime; a below average SG; slightly above average players at SF and PG - none of whom fit together or compliment each other at all. It has no bench to speak of. (Won't mention the 2004-2008 Suns, which he basically put together).

See above and add: no draft pick; no cap room; no trade material of any consequence. Top ten payroll, can't make playoffs. Two significant pieces are free agents in the next two years. ~$20 million tied up in players who contributed nothing all season (Bargs, Fields and Kleiza) with another nearly $30 million committed to a wing combo that can't hit threes or pass. The reason to blow it up is that this team is on the path to nowhere....
          Man, I really miss having vets who understand team basketball.

Comment

• yertu damkule wrote: View Post
            come on, man.

onemoreyearonemoreyearonemoreyear...doesn't it ever get old? just how low does it have to be for people to realize that the level of lowness was brought about by BC in the first place?

what is it about the lowry & gay acquisitions that lead you to believe they can be classified as successes at the moment, or for the future?

do you really think that anyone who could be considered for a GM position of a pro team would be so much worse than what BC has been IN ACTUALITY? that's why you keep him???...because it's a theoretical possibility that the guy who you replace him with does an even worse job (if that's even a possibility...open for debate)? how would that even be gauged? once you're this bad/mediocre, getting worse is a good thing. or is the objective to clasp the team with leg irons to a treadmill, and shoot for a first round exit every season?

all i want is to believe that the GM running the raptors gives more of a shit about the product on the floor than anything else. BC's moves of late (read: almost his entire tenure in TO) have been driven by his desire to make the 'right' move according to what he believes is public perception. so he goes & gets a pseudo star (i.e. someone who's only paid like one) in rudy gay. matt fucking devlin calling somone a star 88 times a game doesn't actually make that player a star. giving out ridiculous extensions to sub-par players that you drafted doesn't make them a good draft pick, a franchise cornerstone, a building block, worth that money, etc. etc. then taking to the airwaves and proclaiming one of those 'franchise players' as being available in trade - when anyone with any common sense should know that doing so only placates the masses, and lowers his value - just so much dumb. as much of a bargs 'hater' as i've been labeled over the years, the way BC conveniently chucked him under the bus when public sentiment turned against bargs and towards BC was pathetic. if the deluded masses want to look at reasons why free agents might not want to play in TO, they can slot this kind of bullshit ahead of the weather & any other quasi-excuses that usually only exist to satisfy whatever narrative whatever bleating fucking idiot is trying to pass off as a woe-is-us excuse for why the raptors are bad YET AGAIN.

one more year? fuck and no.

but since i'm used to disappointment (the one & only thing BC has delivered with any consistency), i'm guessing he'll be back.
            How can I call them successes? Because of all the praise they were getting on this forum during the season. I honestly don't give a fuck at this point. Play it out with Colangelo. What are you going to do? Fire him?! By doing that, you bring in a new guy who walks into a mess before he's even started. It's like going to take a piss in a public washroom stall and there's just two huge pieces of shit already floating there. What do you do? You don't go "fuck it" and piss there anyways. No! Your reaction is of disgust and you want to run away. This is a metaphor for the raptors and hiring a new gm. Unless, they are experienced.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
              How can I call them successes? Because of all the praise they were getting on this forum during the season. I honestly don't give a fuck at this point. Play it out with Colangelo. What are you going to do? Fire him?! By doing that, you bring in a new guy who walks into a mess before he's even started. It's like going to take a piss in a public washroom stall and there's just two huge pieces of shit already floating there. What do you do? You don't go "fuck it" and piss there anyways. No! Your reaction is of disgust and you want to run away. This is a metaphor for the raptors and hiring a new gm. Unless, they are experienced.
              Agreed. The experienced man will piss on those pieces of shit, but carefully.

Comment

• coastal wrote: View Post
                Agreed. The experienced man will piss on those pieces of shit, but carefully.
                My sentiments exactly. If you locked an inexperienced man in the stall, he'll bang on the door and holler to let him out and probably piss his pants. Lock an experienced man and he will calmly unzip and piss.
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Blah

They need to axe him or give him a three year extension.

Enough is enough, man up and be decisive.

Either he's your guy or he's not.

Let's cut the crap.

If they extend him a year and say "let's see where this goes" I'm going to be profoundly discouraged with this team...

Honestly, I hope Colangelo tells the team to stick it because he's merely their backup plan right now and if I were made to feel that unappreciated (whether deservingly so or not) that's what I would do... And at least that speeds up the closure.

Comment

• It sounds like they will let this play out until BC resigns (not re-signs). Leiweke is trying to let him save some face on his way out.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                      They need to axe him or give him a three year extension.

Enough is enough, man up and be decisive.

Either he's your guy or he's not.

Let's cut the crap.

If they extend him a year and say "let's see where this goes" I'm going to be profoundly discouraged with this team...

Honestly, I hope Colangelo tells the team to stick it because he's merely their backup plan right now and if I were made to feel that unappreciated (whether deservingly so or not) that's what I would do... And at least that speeds up the closure.
                      Agreed. Only extending him one year gets us nowhere. Just fire him now and put us out of our misery.
                      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• Well with the Leafs losing we may have the decision sooner rather than later. BC is probably fired.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                          My sentiments exactly. If you locked an inexperienced man in the stall, he'll bang on the door and holler to let him out and probably piss his pants. Lock an experienced man and he will calmly unzip and piss.
                          so, it would take an 'experienced' man to know within 1/2-a-second to just flush the fucking toilet & let fly into a nice, clean bowl? you get THAT metaphor? you do realize that in this scenario, it's BC who has dropped the turd in the bowl & neglected to clean up after himself, right? and your argument is that BC is the ONLY one (well, he or some other mysterious 'EXPERIENCED' man) who could possibly clean up his mess? PUH-FUCKING-LEASE.

sometimes, i think there's a large swath of raptor fans who care much more about what the media/fans in other markets will think of this team/franchise than how the team itself is run/performs on the floor. of course, that may be because those are BC's prime concerns as well.

oh, and it's a good thing the nuggs went after an 'experienced' GM to lead them out of what very well could have been a similar festering pile of dogshit of a roster. oh, what's that?!?! they hired a guy with NO GM EXPERIENCE!?!? and he just won exec of the year*? NOT POSSIBLE.

*there is no bigger joke of an award out there, but it seems to be the kind of thing that a good portion of raptor fans (i.e. BC apologists) seem to cling to as having some kind of signficant import. well, at least when it suits their narrative.
                          Last edited by yertu damkule; Tue May 14, 2013, 01:13 PM.
                          TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

• Hollinger for GM!

Comment

• I really like Leiweke's "Take no Prisoners" attitude;
                              "I'm not going to let the board dictate the timing on this and this is no disrespect to the board," Leiweke told Sportsnet. "That's not the right way to do this. I think it's a matter of whatever time that takes is what it takes, we're not going to knee jerk. I'm not going to let the board overrule the time and to their credit, they haven't asked it. They've been very patient. It wouldn't shock me that if at the end of the day, if I'm not going to give him a vote of confidence, he moves on."

From the sounds of it this may be Leiweke and MLSE forcing Colangelo out without having the courage to actually pull the trigger. If that's the case, it's not a great start to Leiweke's tenure here in Toronto.

Source
                              Apparently Colangelo is looking at forcing their hand though.. he could offer his resignation if they don't move fast.
                              Last edited by Joey; Tue May 14, 2013, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• Part of me feels like Leiweke is purposely dragging this out. I don't feel like his goal is to embarrass Colangelo explicitly, but I think he knows that BC's ego is affected by all of the public second guessing and he may opt to walk away rather than take one more year as a lame duck. This way, he doesn't sever ties with the Colangelo family and he maintains a good relationship with the board members who are close with BC. Colangelo also saves some face by not technically being fired.

Comment

Working...
                                X