Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Is it me or hasn't Casey mentioned Indiana and OKC as benchmarks for this team in the past? Why do I think Casey is staying in some capacity but Colangelo is going? The other thing that the article mentions is that there are no "star" candidates...who cares if there are star candidates? The Raps went down that path already. How about substance?
    Or they're setting us all up to be able to say:

"Our due dilligence found that there were not star candidates that we felt would have a profound immediate impact on the current roster, any more than the current management team, so we felt it was in the organization's best interests to pickup BC's option and let him see his vision through. Given the roster turnover last year, as a result of trades and rookies, we feel that this group deserves a chance to see what they can do together. Organic growth, yatta yatta yatta."

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      Or they're setting us all up to be able to say:

"Our due dilligence found that there were not star candidates that we felt would have a profound immediate impact on the current roster, any more than the current management team, so we felt it was in the organization's best interests to pickup BC's option and let him see his vision through. Given the roster turnover last year, as a result of trades and rookies, we feel that this group deserves a chance to see what they can do together. Organic growth, yatta yatta yatta."
      I hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Oof i'd be all for hiring Weaver
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Sam Mitchell for GM because hey MLSE is all about bad choices and how about another couple years of mediocrity hurray Raps!

*Raptor Fan Negativity

seriously though interesting news and Casey being out of the news isnt new his fate is ultimately decided by whoever replaces Colangelo to run the team. Id like him to stay though could care less about BC after 7 years hes starting to get an idea together too late man.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
            Oof i'd be all for hiring Weaver
            Weaver's name always comes up in these things. Same with Pritchard. It might just be people guessing and picking the usual suspects as possiblities.

I know Pritchard's baggage but he still seems like the kind of creative manager you need for a place like Toronto. The kind of guy we thought Colangelo was when he got here.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
              Oof i'd be all for hiring Weaver
              Weaver was credited with getting Melo to Syracuse. He apparently was also Westbrook's champion in that draft and pushed hard for him. He has a good pedigree: Syrcause, Utah and OKC.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                Weaver's name always comes up in these things. Same with Pritchard. It might just be people guessing and picking the usual suspects as possiblities.

I know Pritchard's baggage but he still seems like the kind of creative manager you need for a place like Toronto. The kind of guy we thought Colangelo was when he got here.
                Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Comment

Weaver was credited with getting Melo to Syracuse. He apparently was also Westbrook's champion in that draft and pushed hard for him. He has a good pedigree: Syrcause, Utah and OKC.
                  Funny, I really don't have an opinion on Weaver, but even those 2 players are supremely talented, they're both 2 players I don't particularly like and wouldn't want my team built around (ideally...obviously I'd rather build around either of those guys than Andrea Bargnani or Rudy Gay).

Comment

• Call me crazy but i'd rather build around Gay than Melo.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      Call me crazy but i'd rather build around Gay than Melo.
                      you crazy

Comment

• Is Pritchard's contract up? Just wondering if it's even possible to get a guy who's currently the Pacers GM.
                        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• connected wrote: View Post
                          you crazy
                          You could put up a good argument that Rudy Gay is better than Melo. Besides scoring there is nothing Melo is better at than Rudy, plus he's a shit defender

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            Call me crazy but i'd rather build around Gay than Melo.
                            Totally agree.

It's not even called "building a team around him" if it's Melo. It's more like "get guys to run alongside and rebound his countless amount of forced isolations".
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              It's funny in a morbid, ironic way, but I think the unexpected early success the Raptors enjoyed under BC was the very cause of his eventual undoing. He viewed the success that year as being a legitimate indicator of the talent/potential of that group of players, which led to Bosh being branded a franchise player and an annual barrage of band-aid solutions in a miserable attempt to build around Bosh. If the team had simply showed some improvement as a young team, without skyrocketing to a division championship, the past 7 years may have turned out much differently.

As an aside, I also think Sam Mitchell would have been fired after BC's first season, had it not been for the COY award that came as a result of the team's unexpected division win.
                              There was another significant faux pas....trying to institute the so called "North Phoenix" run & gun style of play and either drafting or trading or coaching (until Casey) without defense as a vision for the team.

Comment

While I totally get what you're saying, I'm not sure you can discount Colangelo's 'creativity'. Lol While it often times backfired in his face, he has never lacked for creativity in my books.
                                He did turn a #12 pick into Kyle Lowry and then an expiring + Ed into Rudy Gay. While both those moves are yet to be determined a success, I'd say they were awfully creative and great moves for the franchise.

If Colangelo gets fired, the Raptors will likely end up in a similar situation as the Leafs - as it was essentially Burke's team that made the playoffs and is seen as a few moves away from being 'there' and getting nothing but better over the next couple of years.
                                Last edited by Joey; Fri May 17, 2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X