View Poll Results: Who do you think will be next GM of the Toronto Raptors?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phil Jackson

2 4.55%
  • Masai Ujiri

23 52.27%
  • Kevin Pritchard

6 13.64%
  • Troy Weaver

6 13.64%
  • David Morway

1 2.27%
  • Ed Stefanski

5 11.36%
  • Other (please name names)

1 2.27%
Page 38 of 57 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast

Thread: Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Post Thanks / Like

The longer this drags out the more i think he stays. Ugh.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    The longer this drags out the more i think he stays. Ugh.
    Good one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    Good one.
    ?
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Ganter @Mike_Ganter 29 May
    ESPN's Chris Broussard reporting Raps have offered Denver's Masai Ujiri five-year deal approaching $3-mil per season.
    wow. not sure what to make of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    ?
    Being twitter friendly

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Ziller just put out an article about the financial position of the Ujiri offer. Here is a part that stands out to me:

Consider that the Raptors' "huge" offer to Masai Ujiri -- WHO JUST WON EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR -- is $15 million over five years. That's competitive with a mid-rung coach. The best executive in basketball last year -- the guy who turned Carmelo Anthony into Danilo Gallinari, who turned Nene into JaVale McGee, who turned Arron Afflalo into Andre Iguodala, who inked Ty Lawson to a sub-max deal, who built one of the better starless rosters we've seen in a while -- is getting an amazing deal worth ... $3 million per year?

What's worse is the possibility that the Nuggets won't match it because it's too rich.

So, a team spending $60-75 million on player payroll thinks the difference between the $1 million or so it is paying Ujiri now and the $3 million he's trying to get is too great to swallow. That's totally insane. Denver should be thrilled that the market price of an elite GM is so low. If the Nuggets have a budget for front office staff and matching Ujiri's Toronto offer would blow it up, rewrite it. In fact, teams should accept that GMs and coaches are more like players than sales account executives. There's a general salary scale, but market prices prevail. It's like off-season lobster.
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/3...le-masai-ujiri

Post Thanks / Like

God i really hope we get him
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

How embarrassed do you think will Lieweke be if Ujiri stays with Denver?

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    How embarrassed do you think will Lieweke be if Ujiri stays with Denver?
    pretty embarrassed but I assume he would quickly move on to the next due he has in mind honestly why is he taking so long???

Post Thanks / Like

For real. I hope he's already got some plans worked out incase this doesn't work out.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll say this Leiweke at least doesn't look like an "all his Eggs in one basket type of guy" If this isnt settled by Friday I think toronto should withdraw the offer and pursue someone else clocks ticking!!! plenty of candidates.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be very surprised if Sam Witwicky doesn't have 2, 3, 4,....15 backup plans in case Ujiri doesn't pan out.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    For real. I hope he's already got some plans worked out incase this doesn't work out.
    You don't become that successful without have multiple backup plans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    pretty embarrassed but I assume he would quickly move on to the next due he has in mind honestly why is he taking so long???
    Why would anyone be embarrassed? I don't get it.

Ujiri is the GM of a 57-win team that, with a better coach, might have been a legit WCF contender. He has done all the heavy lifting for a roster that is set to be very, very good for the next 3-4 years. By all accounts, he will make millions in Denver as well.

I'm impressed Toronto is pursuing the guy at all given the circumstances. To fail in this is nothing to be shamed about.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of guys on here who never approached a girl in their lives because they don't want to be rejected. Ask Heinz if you can be his wingman for a night ... though, maybe not, that might end in paying not to be rejected; whatever, just go out and don't stare at the girls from a distance or sit close to them without saying a word, they'll think you're creepy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Why would anyone be embarrassed? I don't get it.

Ujiri is the GM of a 57-win team that, with a better coach, might have been a legit WCF contender. He has done all the heavy lifting for a roster that is set to be very, very good for the next 3-4 years. By all accounts, he will make millions in Denver as well.

I'm impressed Toronto is pursuing the guy at all given the circumstances. To fail in this is nothing to be shamed about.
    It shows they're trying. I'm itching to know their backup plan.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so passed this whole Ujiri thing. Lost interest about Tuesday. Unless he is dealing with some kind of incredible internal or personal issue (like he has a rare disease, and only has 18 months to live, and isn't sure he could make enough of an impact with the Raptors to leave a decent legacy) then I don't understand the issue. Even if he doesn't think there is an easy solution to the Raps problems, take the 15 mill, stick it out for three years, then move on to the next job. who's going to blame him for failing with such a flawed roster and no financial flexibility.

His family's financial future would be secured for the next two generations.

18. Like blackjitsu liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ujiri has a contract with Denver until June 30th. I believe he has to get their permission to accept TO's offer before then. They might be playing hardball regarding compensation. Otherwise this length of delay doesn't make sense.

Post Thanks / Like

He was already given permission to talk with the Raptors. I don't think the Rockets can prevent him from signing a agreement which doesn't take affect until the day after his current contract expires.

It's also of no benefit to them to try something like that.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

I get what you are saying but if Ujiri wants to accept TO's offer it is obvious he would want to start immediately with the draft coming up and possible trades table currently. This would mean some form of release from his current deal. I have no doubt that he would accept a bonafide Denver deal even with a slight discount but this may not be forthcoming or a statement would have been made by now. JUst putting some thoughts out there.

Thread Information