View Poll Results: Who do you think will be next GM of the Toronto Raptors?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phil Jackson

2 4.55%
  • Masai Ujiri

23 52.27%
  • Kevin Pritchard

6 13.64%
  • Troy Weaver

6 13.64%
  • David Morway

1 2.27%
  • Ed Stefanski

5 11.36%
  • Other (please name names)

1 2.27%
Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Post Thanks / Like

everybody needs to just calm their tits. All he did was let go of some guy who probably wanted gone. Plus, he was the assistant GM..it has minimal impact.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Insightful article.
    ya, but did you have to quote the whole thing?? Takes up a lot of space on my browser screen..aha.

Good article. But, it also downplays Ujiri a little bit.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Wow. If you want a sad, depressing, city-loathing, and organization-loathing read this morning, here you go.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...job_kelly.html

I can't get behind the premise but I have been wrong before and I wouldn't be surprised if I was now. I just don't think it is as cut and dry as Kelly makes it out to be. There has to be a desire by Ujiri to see through what he started in Denver plus add in the loyalty to an organization that gave him his start in a paid NBA position and as a GM, the friendship with ownership, and the raise from Denver that was coming (2-3x his $500k - so the 500% raise is not quite telling of the real financial situation, 50-100% is though and that is still a lot of money but not 500%).
    I am all for objective analysis but this is another sad piece by Kelly. Is he only happy miserable?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...ems_kelly.html

After being proven incorrect on him wanting the job, on to plan B of city and organization loathing.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I don't know if this is what he means....

But if Karl is the only other option, I'd rather stick with Casey for another year while Ujiri tinkers with the roster, and then do a proper search next year, hopefully with more/better candidates.
    ...He's talking about next year...re-read it.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    elaborate?
    That I'm assuming he can come to that conclusion by himself. Not that he doesn't ask others, but if he has trouble seeing that for himself, he shouldn't be so involved as he appears to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I don't think it's big talk for a guy coming off years playing for Rick Carlisle, Larry Brown and Flip Saunders (especially the first 2).

Karl's teams have never struck me as teams that actually prepare for their opponent and make adjustments. A coach can be overrated and still be successful. To me, the comparison that I hope explains how I think of Karl is Don Nelson. Nelson was always very good at catering the offense to his players, often favoring a "small ball" style of game, though often because that played to his team's strengths. He could create a style/identity that his team played with every game during the regular season, and that with enough talent, could bring a fairly good win total. But his teams also always fizzled out in the playoffs.
    There is more than one way to look at that. Some would say that with the talent Nelson usually had at his disposal, he had no business even being in the play-offs, but he got them there anyway. It's not like he had the luxury of playing small ball with LeBron, Wade and Bosh.

Post Thanks / Like

What coach have they had who is better than Karl?

Butch?

Lenny?

Sam?

Post Thanks / Like

Noticed a few "he might bring in this guy because he is Nigerian" comments.

1.) How many Canadian players do we have on our roster?

2.) Though likely not intended, it has the faint smell of racism.
    2B.) No I'm not calling anyone specific a racist, just pointing out that it can be taken that way.

3.) He may have been exposed to a few players internationally, but I doubt he would be nepotistic and choose them over a better player if one were available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    I wonder if Ujiri will want to bring in Iguodala?

He'd be the perfect guy for Ross to learn behind, and he'd be a good fit with Gay i think.
    When Colangelo made his exit from Phoenix there was some bad blood there between him and Sarver(so reported) and he never went on to do a deal with the Suns for quite some time.

Based on what I read, the Nuggets owner views what Ujiri did as breaking his word. I can't imagine he's too happy with the guy right now and I'm sure he doesn't want to make any move that will better whatever Ujiri is working on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    What coach have they had who is better than Karl?

Butch?

Lenny?

Sam?
    what about Karl's health issues? It's got to undoubtedly play a factor and he's not getting any younger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    Noticed a few "he might bring in this guy because he is Nigerian" comments.

1.) How many Canadian players do we have on our roster?

2.) Though likely not intended, it has the faint smell of racism.
    2B.) No I'm not calling anyone specific a racist, just pointing out that it can be taken that way.

3.) He may have been exposed to a few players internationally, but I doubt he would be nepotistic and choose them over a better player if one were available.
    Though I think it's dumb, it's not even close to being racist. Many people favour things they know better and/or are more accustomed to, that's the basis of thinking that.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Fan 590 is reporting that he is firing a huge chunk of the scouting staff...looking for confirmation now...This is good news.

EDIT: Found the report.

Gone along with Stefanski are long-time scout Jim Kelly, pro scouting director, vice-president of pro scouting Dave Pendergraft and two regional college scouts.
    Link

I like this. These are very specific moves, rather than getting rid of every body. Only someone with knowledge of the team could make these moves. So relieved Kelly is gone. He's been with the Raptors forever... Wish him luck, but always wondered how he kept his job through so many regimes. He started with the team in 1994! What the hell!
    Last edited by blackjitsu; Sun Jun 2nd, 2013 at 02:11 PM.

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He can interview for the Nuggets job!

Ujiri should try and lure his asst. in Denver Pete D'Alessandro who I understand is a cap guru and helped greatly with the Melo and multi team deals involving Nene, Afflalo, Bynum, McGee etc. He needs his own people.

Post Thanks / Like

MLSE should at the very least inquire about the availability of Jerry Sloan. The guy is a legend coach:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...loanje01c.html

Short of that there is Nate McMillan:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...cmilna01c.html

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nuggets fans dislike their coach, that's all I need to know, to not want him. Too many lessons proved me right, that if a person isn't welcomed in his team by the fans, then he won't be any better in TO.
    #FREE

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know much about this guy, but seems like Ujiri's fitting in nicely. Two guys gone in a matter of one day.
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread title should be changed to: Ujiri cleaning house!

"Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    There is more than one way to look at that. Some would say that with the talent Nelson usually had at his disposal, he had no business even being in the play-offs, but he got them there anyway. It's not like he had the luxury of playing small ball with LeBron, Wade and Bosh.
    I don't know, I don't think his teams ever lacked enough talent to make the playoffs. He had excellent teams in Milwaukee early in his career. Then he had Run TMC in GSW, and drafted Webber there, but he (nor anybody at that time) couldn't manage Sprewell's personality which destroyed that team. Then Dallas where they were "rebuilding", but then he had Finley, Nowitzki and Nash all when they are at or nearing their prime, and easily enough talent to contend. And even his second stint in GSW, the team that made the playoffs as underdogs, then won 48 games the next year and missed them, was actually quite talented (B. Davis, Harrington, J-RIch, Stephen Jackson, Monta Ellis...from who I can remember).

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why would Karl come here? Does he need challenges at this point in his career? I am not sure he is completely free of his health issues either and there have been rumblings in Denver that Ujiri and Karl were starting to disagree on personnel (McGee) and possibly playing style issues.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ujiri is cleaning the house. I love it!

21. Like mcHAPPY liked this post

Thread Information