Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Wow. If you want a sad, depressing, city-loathing, and organization-loathing read this morning, here you go.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...job_kelly.html

I can't get behind the premise but I have been wrong before and I wouldn't be surprised if I was now. I just don't think it is as cut and dry as Kelly makes it out to be. There has to be a desire by Ujiri to see through what he started in Denver plus add in the loyalty to an organization that gave him his start in a paid NBA position and as a GM, the friendship with ownership, and the raise from Denver that was coming (2-3x his $500k - so the 500% raise is not quite telling of the real financial situation, 50-100% is though and that is still a lot of money but not 500%).
    Kelly gets on my nerves. He is the typical passive-aggressive Torontonian who thinks he lives in Manhattan or London and when his illusion is shattered he lashes out at the people who have made him question his little self-created myth.

Having trouble hiring people is the case with all bad teams. It's why getting BC was a coup. Plus, I won't get into it here, making $2.5 mil as opposed to $1.25 mill isn't changing anyone's lifestyle in any material way. It's not like he's living in a shack in the Ozarks.... The money difference here isn't as significant as people think it is.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      Why? We know nothing about him except the fact he's a good scout (supposedly). I'm as guilty as anyone but we should all stop pretending we know Weaver would be a good hire...
      Why:

1) He is a great scout (Melo at Syracuse, pushed for Westbrook, two 2nd round picks in Utah who are still in league 7-8 years later Millsap/Miles)
      2) He has been hands on in an organization that when faced with numerous decisions to make they have been proactive and acted from a position of strength
      3) He has seen first hand uses of the CBA to the teams advantage (Nick Collison extension)

I did not say he would be a good hire. I gave and subsequently implied an opinion on who I would like. Why wouldn't you want hires that are directly or indirectly bred out of the front offices of Utah, San Antonio, or OKC?

Comment

• That was a snarky piece on many levels but the multiple Denver putdowns to embellish the TO great city canard was totally unneccessary. Denver may not have the big city core but the surrounding environs far surpass what Toronto has to offer. And then we elected Rob Ford. How much does that do for your sniffing Cathal?

Comment

• Ms Ujiri needs to put on her best "Lady MacBeth" impression and sway her Husband to the route of total control, more money, more power and get him to Toronto.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
            Ms Ujiri needs to put on her best "Lady MacBeth" impression and sway her Husband to the route of total control, more money, more power and get him to Toronto.
            Just make sure Ujiri doesn't kill anyone in the process, lol.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• The longer this drags out the more i think he stays. Ugh.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                The longer this drags out the more i think he stays. Ugh.
                Good one.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                  Good one.
                  ?
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Mike Ganter @Mike_Ganter 29 May
                    ESPN's Chris Broussard reporting Raps have offered Denver's Masai Ujiri five-year deal approaching $3-mil per season.
                    wow. not sure what to make of that.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                      ?
                      Being twitter friendly

Comment

• Tom Ziller just put out an article about the financial position of the Ujiri offer. Here is a part that stands out to me:

Consider that the Raptors' "huge" offer to Masai Ujiri -- WHO JUST WON EXECUTIVE OF THE YEAR -- is $15 million over five years. That's competitive with a mid-rung coach. The best executive in basketball last year -- the guy who turned Carmelo Anthony into Danilo Gallinari, who turned Nene into JaVale McGee, who turned Arron Afflalo into Andre Iguodala, who inked Ty Lawson to a sub-max deal, who built one of the better starless rosters we've seen in a while -- is getting an amazing deal worth ... $3 million per year?

What's worse is the possibility that the Nuggets won't match it because it's too rich.

So, a team spending $60-75 million on player payroll thinks the difference between the $1 million or so it is paying Ujiri now and the $3 million he's trying to get is too great to swallow. That's totally insane. Denver should be thrilled that the market price of an elite GM is so low. If the Nuggets have a budget for front office staff and matching Ujiri's Toronto offer would blow it up, rewrite it. In fact, teams should accept that GMs and coaches are more like players than sales account executives. There's a general salary scale, but market prices prevail. It's like off-season lobster.
                        http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/3...le-masai-ujiri
                        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• God i really hope we get him
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• How embarrassed do you think will Lieweke be if Ujiri stays with Denver?
                            You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                              How embarrassed do you think will Lieweke be if Ujiri stays with Denver?
                              pretty embarrassed but I assume he would quickly move on to the next due he has in mind honestly why is he taking so long???

Comment

• For real. I hope he's already got some plans worked out incase this doesn't work out.
                                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X