View Poll Results: Who do you think will be next GM of the Toronto Raptors?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phil Jackson

2 4.55%
  • Masai Ujiri

23 52.27%
  • Kevin Pritchard

6 13.64%
  • Troy Weaver

6 13.64%
  • David Morway

1 2.27%
  • Ed Stefanski

5 11.36%
  • Other (please name names)

1 2.27%
Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I took away from that hour long video is when SVG mentioned that he disagrees with the sentiment that giving rookies (young players) heavy minutes from the start constitutes to good development. I should probably look back to see where that part falls in the video ....

Never the less, I was sort of amused because I thought about Ross and Valanciunas not getting the 'minutes' and Casey relying more on the vets. Maybe he actually wants to teach these young guns the way... just maybe.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Post Thanks / Like

@Torch19 - I think along with that you need to be able to discern what would work better for individual players. This is pure speculation BUT perhaps someone with JVs motor and determination would do better playing big minutes and self correcting on the fly where as someone like Terrence Ross, a player in which taking the correct shots is crucial, getting the quick hook might be more beneficial. I repeat this is 100% speculation, but I have to assume the coaches know the players better than I. I think Washington and Sacramento are the perfect example of why rookies need boundaries.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I agree. I would love to see SVG in Toronto. This is not promising for next season or beyond though:
    Money talks ... Let's open up those fat Rogers/Bell wallets & let's see what happens. Even a family man has to think twice about a very lucrative offer.

Since we overpay basically anyone anyway, might as well spend that next $7 M to get a good coach -- considering the dead weight we have on the bench.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim L'ke. said that he was looking for a GM who has good trading skills, understands and knows rosters of other teams, who can attract FA's and keep them here etc. This tells me that he's looking for an experienced guy who's had success in the NBA. He mentioned that he wanted the Raps. to be like teams that Sam Presti, K Pritchard, RC Buford have built.

Going by this, I think a well known GM is one his way to Toronto. If he's not, the firing of Colangelo is pointless. The new GM must have the ability to either completely tear down the roster with the intention of tanking or completely transform the team with the intention of being a definite play off contender. If he does neither and decides to stay with the present team for now, he's doing what BC would have done. So what's the point?

So I think one of Pritchard, Buford or Ujiri will be the new guy. I'm hoping it will not be Pritchard but I have this feeling it's going to be him. Very overrated IMO.
    Last edited by Eric Akshinthala; Fri May 24th, 2013 at 01:09 AM.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Buford even available?
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Folks do realize that the team that Pritchard built into such a powerhouse (the Blazers) finished with one less win that the Raptors last year, don't they???

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bouncepass wrote: View Post
    Folks do realize that the team that Pritchard built into such a powerhouse (the Blazers) finished with one less win that the Raptors last year, don't they???
    NOt really the team he built though. He's already been gone 2 years. Also, 2 of their best players (Aldridge, Batum) were Pritchard guys.

It should also be noted that PAUL ALLEN is a dickhead. I don't know the exact dynamics of the mess with Pritchard, but it clearly wasn't all Pritchard's fault. They replaced Pritchard iwth Rich Cho, who then only lasted a year due to issues with Allen. Both Pritchard and Cho did positive things for the organization, and both were callously fired in very public ways that were bad for each of them. Paul Allen is a crazy owner.

Now I'm not necessarily for Pritchard...but the guy clearly is an excellent talent evaluator.

Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

League sources told CBSSports.com that one of the possibilities Leiweke has identified is teaming Pritchard with Oklahoma City assistant GM Troy Weaver, whose name has been attached to several front-office searches in the past two years. It is not clear whether the Raptors have reached out to the Thunder to ask permission to interview Weaver, though it is highly unlikely that Oklahoma City would grant permission for Weaver to entertain a lateral move.
    This is stupid.

You can't have co-GMs. At the end of the day you need one person to make a decision.

Weaver is not coming to Toronto to be an assistant GM - he already has that for a perennial contender.

This is disheartening. The only silver lining is it is, as usual, all "sources". "Sources" typically have agendas.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

10. Like thead liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I wanted to read more about Mike Zarren, and I came across this presentation here:

This was a panel talking about NBA analytics at the 2013 Sloan Conference. The panel included Zarren, but also Buford, SVG, Pritchard, and Zach Lowe. If you have a spare hour I recommend watching the whole thing.. I found it enjoyable.

I am so happy that Colangelo is gone.. this conference proves to me how bad Colangelo was at building the right team. Getting him out of there was the best news I heard all year. Now we need a GM that properly understands analytics and knows how to hire a coach that understands analytics as well. I'm actually impressed by Zarren by listening to this conference. He might be a bit green when it comes to fielding a team, but I actually think he'd be a good fit going forward.

So going through Sportsnet's list of candidates (thanks Matt for posting them), my list would be:

1) Weaver
    2) Zarren
    3) Pritchard
    4) Ujiri

And if any of these guys can get SVG that would be a major coup. Also if we need a cap expert they should hire Larry Coon.
    Great video.

My major requirement for a gm and other staff members is to not get any more bullshitters. I've always hated that about Colangelo, he bullshits all the time, he is about appearance and image and all that stuff.

So, if SvG doesn't really want to coach anymore, why not consider him for gm? He doesn't bullshit, he knows what's important for a team and what's not. He might also be a bit more relaxed as a gm and can probably help develop a coach, especially if a youngish coach is brought in now or next year.

I'd also like to consider giving Zach Lowe a job as assistant gm; he is in my opinion (by far) the brightest mind of the writers guild, and really watches the games to see what's happening (unlike some of those annoying tv guys and opportunistic writers). He's also a confident person who wants to study the game, acknowledges when he's made misjudgments (as with the Conley signing). He'd be a great communicator to partner with SvG because he's more laidback and gets his opinion across very well. He could be the guy who ties it all together between the gm, coaching staff and analytics department.

We could also need some new analytics guys or at least review their performance; their interviews weren't very convincing, as in, there was a lot of bullshit, probably as a result of the Colangelo culture.

On the analytics stuff: great points by SvG and the others about the value and noisiness of certain data. I completely agree with this. Some of the things that are named 'advanced' statistics just aren't that. If we talk about the performance of a certain line-up, we should be talking about the things that those line-ups do well or don't do well and not just about sheer data. That doesn't give any insight at all and is very much subject to circumstance, like our starting five results at the end of the season (the fool's gold stuff). E.g. we got some people shooting threes way above their normal %; normalize those percentages and what do you get? When data likes this provides certain information, the first question should be why is that?

Btw. I don't mean to say that def. rat. and such have no value at all, they help to see certain trends. But they should be the starting point and lead to questions like "why is that?" instead of answers like "see? this is wrong, that is right."
    Last edited by Soft Euro; Fri May 24th, 2013 at 12:16 PM.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Jesus, we could have Uriji AND Pritchard

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Jesus, we could have Uriji AND Pritchard
    Not sure if these reports are meant to be in unison, or if they contradict each other.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    This is stupid.

You can't have co-GMs. At the end of the day you need one person to make a decision.

Weaver is not coming to Toronto to be an assistant GM - he already has that for a perennial contender.

This is disheartening. The only silver lining is it is, as usual, all "sources". "Sources" typically have agendas.
    This is AMAZING!

Weaver as GM with Pritchard as a consultant. We'd be getting the best out of Pritchard minus any need for his leadership which some feel is poor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Not sure if these reports are meant to be in unison, or if they contradict each other.
    This is getting better and better with each update. Having a GM and consultant whom are both excellent talent evaulators is awesome. Masai apparently has a knack for trades and Pritchard has shown to be really good at drafting. It's a best case scenario.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors pursuing Pacers GM Kevin Pritchard

MIAMI -- The Toronto Raptors have asked permission to interview Pacers general manager Kevin Pritchard to head up their basketball operations, league sources told CBSSports.com on Friday.

As with similar requests from teams to speak with assistant coach Brian Shaw for head coaching vacancies, the Pacers have indicated that they prefer to wait until their season is over to grant permission for interviews. The Pacers trail the Heat 1-0 in the Eastern Conference finals, with Game 2 on Friday night in Miami.

Pritchard, the former Trail Blazers GM who was hired by the Pacers at the behest of former team president Larry Bird, is said to be extremely happy in Indiana. The Raptors recently overhauled their front-office structure, moving team president Bryan Colangelo to a role on the business side and opening up the search for a new head of basketball operations.

The Raptors job is attractive to potential candidates because the team does well financially and is prepared to commit significant resources to restoring the team to prominence. Former Staples Center executive Tim Leiweke is in full command of the Raptors' decision-making process and vision as president and CEO of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment.

League sources told CBSSports.com that one of the possibilities that Leiweke has identified is teaming Pritchard with Oklahoma City assistant GM Troy Weaver, whose name has been attached to several front-office searches in the past two years. It is unclear whether the Raptors have reached out to the Thunder to ask permission to interview Weaver, though it is highly unlikely that Oklahoma City would grant permission for Weaver to entertain a lateral move.

Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri, the reigning NBA Executive of the Year, remains high on the Raptors' list of potential candidates. Ujiri is engaged in talks with the Nuggets on a contract extension, though it is widely presumed in league circles that the notoriously frugal Nuggets would not be inclined to enter a bidding war to retain him.

Yahoo Sports reported on Friday that the Nuggets have granted permission for the Raptors to interview Ujiri. When the Sixers pursued Ujiri last summer, he turned down the opportunity to interview and elected to stay in Denver and await the results of negotiations on a new contract that still has not materialized.

Pritchard emerged as a strong candidate for the Raptors' GM job under Colangelo in 2011, when Toronto ultimately hired former Sixers GM Ed Stefanski. At the time, Pritchard elected to stay with the Pacers when he received a promotion from player personnel director to GM.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ke...evin-pritchard

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    This is AMAZING!

Weaver as GM with Pritchard as a consultant. We'd be getting the best out of Pritchard minus any need for his leadership which some feel is poor.
    It would be amazing for the Raptors.

Unfortunately it makes absolutely no sense for Pritchard.

If this was on the trade machine it would be Bargnani for Kevin Love. I mean yeah, it works on the trade machine but it is never going to happen.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

19. Like Bendit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn't be a step down for Pritchard though would it? More like a lateral movement but with possibly a higher salary since the Raptors are looking to pony up some serious $$ for the best staff they can get their hands on. He's a general manager in Indiana, so the same role with better pay might be interesting to him. If he can help Toronto turn things around it would put him into serious contention for a future GM job with other teams considering his track record in Portland, currently Indiana and hopefully if he comes here.

I'm getting ahead of myself, but it seems like it could work.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

If you read between the lines, he addresses the raptors players too.
    About the identity, about who the team wants to be.

This guys a monster. I love it.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ujiri or Ed. They're the only two who I think that wouldn't totally blow it up.

Thread Information