View Poll Results: Who do you think will be next GM of the Toronto Raptors?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phil Jackson

    2 4.55%
  • Masai Ujiri

    23 52.27%
  • Kevin Pritchard

    6 13.64%
  • Troy Weaver

    6 13.64%
  • David Morway

    1 2.27%
  • Ed Stefanski

    5 11.36%
  • Other (please name names)

    1 2.27%
Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 1138

Thread: Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

  1. #181
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,746
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was fairly pro coangleo for a long time. I still think he does a good job of drafting (as long as he has picks to use...) and thought that the calls for him to be fired mid season were unnecessarily reactionary. I also believe that there isn't much a new gm can do with the current team.

    All that being said, I'd rather the option NOT get picked up. If you ask a guy to build you a mountain, and he digs you into a hole, you don't ask the same guy to try to dig you out.

    I wonder if Jonah Hill would be interested in the GM position. Sure he only "played" a metrics/analytics guru in a movie, but it's not that much different than coangelo "playing" a GM on tv.

    I actually would love for the team to have no president or gm for the whole season... just take a "it's not like if we had a gm he'd be doing anything anyway" approach. What little decisions there are to make could be made my leiweke and stefanski. I'm only about 20% joking.

    If these sources are true and b co is here for another season, meh. If I was in or around toronto, I'd show up for a "Coangelo's left us with NO OPTIONs rally", but since I'm in africa I doubt I'd be able to make it. That said my dad lives in toronto and is retired, so I could probably get him to show up on my behalf.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee

    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  2. #182
    Raptors Republic Starter connected's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    253
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    I get your point about how there's nothing to be done next year, but how does that justify BC being given another year. If anything, we should be starting the "clean house" process early.
    You're right 5 years of failure doesn't justify giving BC another year. I just think it's not fair for a new GM/President to be placed in a situation where he would have a huge amount of pressure to make a difference/change and wouldn't be able too (with the exception of a coaching change).

    Whereas in the 2014/2015 season Gay/Fields will be expiring contracts, we will have a 2014 draft pick, Lowry will have proven if he is worth a contract extension, DeMar will have a refined game and no more AB/LK. That is a scenario any credible GM should eagerly step into.

  3. #183
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote connected wrote: View Post
    You're right 5 years of failure doesn't justify giving BC another year. I just think it's not fair for a new GM/President to be placed in a situation where he would have a huge amount of pressure to make a difference/change and wouldn't be able too (with the exception of a coaching change).

    Whereas in the 2014/2015 season Gay/Fields will be expiring contracts, we will have a 2014 draft pick, Lowry will have proven if he is worth a contract extension, DeMar will have a refined game and no more AB/LK. That is a scenario any credible GM should eagerly step into.
    Ah, you see, you're making this all under the assumption that Colangelo doesn't do anything next season. You're wrong. Here's how 2014/15 season will play out:

    - Lowry will have been extended at 4 years, $11M per
    - Gay will have been extended another 4 years, max
    - DeRozan and our 2014 pick will have been traded for an oft-injured low-post PF (possibly Pau, provided Landry is thrown in for salary-matching), a la the J.O. trade. That 2014 pick will turn into a player of at least Roy Hibbert's talent level
    - Andrea will be playing starting centre for the Raps, with Jonas taking a back seat as 6th man, where he is clearly more suited

  4. Like connected liked this post
  5. #184
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,584
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    Ah, you see, you're making this all under the assumption that Colangelo doesn't do anything next season. You're wrong. Here's how 2014/15 season will play out:

    - Lowry will have been extended at 4 years, $11M per
    - Gay will have been extended another 4 years, max
    - DeRozan and our 2014 pick will have been traded for an oft-injured low-post PF (possibly Pau, provided Landry is thrown in for salary-matching), a la the J.O. trade. That 2014 pick will turn into a player of at least Roy Hibbert's talent level
    - Andrea will be playing starting centre for the Raps, with Jonas taking a back seat as 6th man, where he is clearly more suited
    You forgot:

    - AA plays 40 minutes a game
    - Ross plays 5 games, averaging 2-3 minutes, before being sent down to the D-League for the remainder of the season
    - Aaron Gray is elected Prime Minister of Canada
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  6. #185
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Frank Zicarelli, Toronto Sun:

    How can one write this:



    .... and a few paragraphs later write:

    [/B]
    Good ole' Frank.

    I went through an email war with him 3 years ago when I argued we should get rid of Bargnani and he was convinced that he was the future of the franchise.

  7. #186
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm for giving Colangelo another year. It's new ownership and maybe, it gives Caolngelo room to breathe that he didn't have with the other ownership/management.

    You guys need to realize the likelihood that you're going to find/lure someone better. He has made some bad moves,but, at least he's taking risks and trying. Let us not forget that he has two executive of the year awards. At 45, I doubt he's lost his touch. Not to take away from the negatives. Just this guy has the qualifications to. if anything. be given one more year.

    I would call his last two high profile moves a success. The Lowry and Gay acquisitions. So, maybe he's back on track. He's also been good at the last three drafts we've been in. If there is no improvement this upcoming year can him and casey both, no doubt!
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  8. #187
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    The first follower is the most important person. Without the first follower it is just hotfuzz standing outside MLSE's office waving a "Fire Colangelo" sign looking like a psycho or some other politically incorrect term.
    Oh good, so then you're coming.

    Way to step up man.


  9. #188
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,584
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Arthur: Whether BC stays or not, his legacy has already been sealed

    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...aled-his-fate/

    Leiweke confirms a decision is imminent, but denies one has been reached. One source familiar with Leiwekeís thinking says the chief executive is leaning toward replacing Colangelo, and that a decision could be announced as soon as Monday. But reached Sunday afternoon by email, Leiweke said, ďI have not gotten to a decision and I need to get board interaction so I think it is still up in air. That said, he may not want to be here if he does not get a long-term commitment. A lot will happen in the next few days.Ē
    Rogers and Bell each own 37.5% of MLSE, and have agreed to vote as a bloc; neither is believed to be in favour of retaining Colangelo, but in this case they are not making the final call. Leiweke, the former CEO of sports giant AEG, is in charge.
    But then, the Raptors have never been an especially lucky franchise, and that continued under Colangelo. The pick the Raptors sent to Indiana for Jermaine OíNeal turned into centre Roy Hibbert in 2008, and Hibbert became an all-star. Trading OíNeal to Miami for Shawn Marion helped open up the eventual salary-cap space Miami used to sign Chris Bosh and LeBron James. Signing Hedo Turkoglu with the money freed up by Marionís departure as a free agent looked good at the time. It didnít go well.
    There were good moves mixed in, of course. Remember, Colangelo once traded Rafael Araujo for something that wasnít openly toxic. Well, it was Kris Humphries, but at least heís still in the league.

    But he failed to anticipate Boshís departure, failed to build around him while he was here, failed to find a coach who could stay on the same page. When Colangelo arrived he was a star, the son of an NBA godfather, the man who built Phoenix into an ill-fated and spectacular contender. He was supposed to be the man who made this sad-sack franchise relevant in the NBA for longer than a few minutes, finally. He tried.
    We'll find out soon enough if, in the eyes of Leiweke, he's failed at making the franchise relevant. I'm stating the obvious by saying he's definitely had highs and lows being part of this team.

    What will his legacy be for you?
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  10. #189
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He is a Legendary GM. He'll go down as the best GM in nba history, everyone will fall at his feet.

  11. #190
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,584
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    He is a Legendary GM. He'll go down as the best GM in nba history, everyone will fall at his feet.
    I like your attitude
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  12. #191
    Raptors Republic Starter phez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    751
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Can we get like, a single colangelo thread? Gonna be hard following all these threads now.

  13. #192
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    From Bruce Arthur
    Raptors’ GM Bryan Colangelo may have already sealed his fate
    TORONTO — It has been nearly four weeks since the NBA season ended, and over two weeks since the fate of Bryan Colangelo was placed in the hands of Tim Leiweke, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment’s new superstar CEO. It appears to finally be on the verge of a conclusion.

    Leiweke confirms a decision is imminent, but denies one has been reached. One source familiar with Leiweke’s thinking says the chief executive is leaning toward replacing Colangelo, and that a decision could be announced as soon as Monday. But reached Sunday afternoon by email, Leiweke said, “I have not gotten to a decision and I need to get board interaction so I think it is still up in air. That said, he may not want to be here if he does not get a long-term commitment. A lot will happen in the next few days.”

    Sources say the board representatives for Rogers and Bell, led by BCE chief executive officer George Cope and Rogers CEO Nadir Mohamed, have ceded the decision to Leiweke, who has NBA ties dating back to his days as the president of the Denver Nuggets until 1995. Rogers and Bell each own 37.5% of MLSE, and have agreed to vote as a bloc; neither is believed to be in favour of retaining Colangelo, but in this case they are not making the final call. Leiweke, the former CEO of sports giant AEG, is in charge.
    Link

  14. #193
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    I was fairly pro coangleo for a long time. I still think he does a good job of drafting (as long as he has picks to use...) and thought that the calls for him to be fired mid season were unnecessarily reactionary. I also believe that there isn't much a new gm can do with the current team.

    All that being said, I'd rather the option NOT get picked up. If you ask a guy to build you a mountain, and he digs you into a hole, you don't ask the same guy to try to dig you out.

    I wonder if Jonah Hill would be interested in the GM position. Sure he only "played" a metrics/analytics guru in a movie, but it's not that much different than coangelo "playing" a GM on tv.

    I actually would love for the team to have no president or gm for the whole season... just take a "it's not like if we had a gm he'd be doing anything anyway" approach. What little decisions there are to make could be made my leiweke and stefanski. I'm only about 20% joking.

    If these sources are true and b co is here for another season, meh. If I was in or around toronto, I'd show up for a "Coangelo's left us with NO OPTIONs rally", but since I'm in africa I doubt I'd be able to make it. That said my dad lives in toronto and is retired, so I could probably get him to show up on my behalf.
    +1! Completely agree with this! A new GM really isn't gonna be any better or make us any better unless that GM REALLY wants to clear shop and start from scratch and build of the OKC model (which is seriously doubt as we have not made the playoffs in 5 seasons). If you all think that a new GM will make this franchise a championship-caliber team, you will be sorely disappointed.

  15. #194
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    4,180
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    +1! Completely agree with this! A new GM really isn't gonna be any better or make us any better unless that GM REALLY wants to clear shop and start from scratch and build of the OKC model (which is seriously doubt as we have not made the playoffs in 5 seasons). If you all think that a new GM will make this franchise a championship-caliber team, you will be sorely disappointed.
    Agreed. Like it or not the way has built this roster it's made it impossible for the board not to accept his option. Either way we'd still going into the next season with the exact same core.

  16. #195
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    Good ole' Frank.

    I went through an email war with him 3 years ago when I argued we should get rid of Bargnani and he was convinced that he was the future of the franchise.
    You probably had the same war with me.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  17. #196
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    Oh good, so then you're coming.

    Way to step up man.

    If only I lived in TOronto.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  18. #197
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Leiweke has been in contact with Phil Jackson, but that is not yet seen as a likely scenario for either party, in part because Jackson is engaged to Los Angeles Lakers executive vice-president Jeannie Buss. Instead, Leiweke says Jackson is merely one of several NBA figures who is providing him with advice.

    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...aled-his-fate/
    .
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  19. #198
    Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    From Rotoworld.com:

    The Raptors may be "leaning toward" replacing GM Bryan Colangelo, according to the National Post.
    Previous reports suggested that Colangelo's job was safe, so this complicates the picture. The decision rests with Tim Leiweke, the new CEO of Maple League Sports & Entertainment. Leiweke already made an overture to Phil Jackson, but regardless of Colangelo's fate it's considered unlikely that the Zen Master will join the Raptors as more than an advisor. The suspense won't last much longer, as a decision on Colangelo is "imminent" and could be announced as soon as Monday.
    (Sorry for poor English )

  20. #199
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Leiweke confirms a decision is imminent, but denies one has been reached. One source familiar with Leiweke’s thinking says the chief executive is leaning toward replacing Colangelo, and that a decision could be announced as soon as Monday. But reached Sunday afternoon by email, Leiweke said, “I have not gotten to a decision and I need to get board interaction so I think it is still up in air. That said, he may not want to be here if he does not get a long-term commitment. A lot will happen in the next few days.”
    Hardly seems like a ringing endorsement nor does it sound like there is a desire for a long term relationship regardless of what happens for 2013-14.

    Sources say the board representatives for Rogers and Bell, led by BCE chief executive officer George Cope and Rogers CEO Nadir Mohamed, have ceded the decision to Leiweke, who has NBA ties dating back to his days as the president of the Denver Nuggets until 1995. Rogers and Bell each own 37.5% of MLSE, and have agreed to vote as a bloc; neither is believed to be in favour of retaining Colangelo, but in this case they are not making the final call. Leiweke, the former CEO of sports giant AEG, is in charge.
    That is interesting and regarding Cope it is the opposite of what was reported by Zicarelli (aka Status-Quo Guy) at the Toronto Sun.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  21. #200
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,736
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Clearly nothing but a clever ploy.

    Leiweke: "So I hear what you're saying Phil, but I still don't understand. Why don't you show me what you mean....Yeah, yeah....Just come up here for a couple of weeks and sit in the office and show me...Sure, give you a chance to catch up with the family in the evenings while we go over some stuff in the office during the day."

Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •