Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuild or Re-tool? (thread merge in post #358)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
    carmelo gets nothing but gold star and hes 29
    What are you talking about?

Comment

• voted tanker but really i only want gay gone. i like demar but i wouldn't be upset if he got us into the 2014 lottery either.

on the thread title shouldn't it be whatever the worlds population is on 5? even in the entire universe there would be a finite amount of opinions.

Comment

• This thread wins and succinctly summarizes every thought I had (and many others') in the rebuild/re-tool thread, except I think we're missing some thoughts from a few more guys. Magoon, Axel, Matt all kind of sum up what my thinking has always been, but perhaps in a way that was less confusing. I'm not always great at getting my point across without adding the snarkiness that turns a reader off.

I do not think JV is untouchable. I think it might make some people upset if he were traded so it'd have to be a really fantastic deal.. but I don't see him as the future 'dominant big man' that others think (I also don't think you need a dominant big man to win anymore).
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

• 1. Yes.

2. Jonas. In a perfect world Amir to. Although with the right deal no one is truelly untouchable.

3. Well trades technically, but thats for the express purpose of attempting to improve the Raptors opportunities in the draft.

4. First round exit

5. No. In its own twisted way, 2011/12 was my favorite season to watch in the last 6 years. If the Raptors won a game you got to see your favorite team win, when they lost a game it was all for the greater good (well I naively thought it was until Colangelo went about throwing that to the wind). It was a no lose situation as a fan.

a modified Detroit trade, where young player(s) (Monroe, Drummond, Knight, KCP, etc..) and 1st round draft pick(s) are acquired, in addition to whatever expiring contracts are required to balance salaries.
          I would argue CGRF, that a deal like that (depending on the player I would think) is also the hardest of hardcore pro-tanker dream trade.

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
            That's one of the big things that makes Gay a good risk to re-sign at a good price. When playing even near his ability, he's one of the few guys around that has the height, length and skills to guard the likes of LeBron, KD, George, as well as make them work on defence. If you're ever going to get anywhere in the playoffs for the next 10 years, you have to go through them.
            well not kevin because hes in the other conference :P
            What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
            The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
            No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
              What are you talking about?
              his personal accomplishments, nba rings, mvps, rookie of the year, i dont think so
              so gold starts keep him happy
              What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
              The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
              No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

• 1. Yes. New management, new vision. Lets try and match the players to the vision and not the other way around.

2. Nobody. If Nerlens Noel could get Jrue Holiday, what could JV get us? Then add Rudy Gay's and JV in a package and what could that potentially get us? "The world chicko and everything in it".

3. Trades, draft, free agency in that order.

4. For the upcoming season with the teams in front of us and maintaining everyone stays healthy I think our ceiling is 6th seed....in the East.

5. Yup.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2013/...-5-whats-next/

Those main page guys have some pretty good ideas for threads. I'm blatantly going to steal the questions straight from the latest post on the main page.

A lot of the questions and ideas are topics that have been going on for quite some time throughout the main page, forums, media, Twitter, and in person.

Here goes:

1. Do the Raptors need to start over and rebuild?

2. What one player would you be unwilling to part with in a rebuild?

3. Is the next step for this team through trades, free agency or the draft?

4. What is the ceiling of the current team moving forward?

5. Would you be less inclined to watch a Raptors team next year that is rebuilding, again?
                  1. No. Lowry, DD, Gay, Amir, JV, Gray, Ross, Fields, Novak, Stone, Acy, Psycho T "on paper" is probably a 7th or 8th seed maybe even 6th because of a week East. If possible, acquire a scorer at a cheap price to lead the 2nd unit. make the playoffs, start a winning atmosphere and get ready for the summer of 2014.

2. Jonas. IMO, he is potentially the franchise player of this team. If they focus on developing him properly and build around him properly.

3. Trades. No money, low picks.

4. First round exit. If they get lucky maybe 2nd round.

5. Nope.

Comment

• Craiger wrote: View Post
                    1. Yes.

2. Jonas. In a perfect world Amir to. Although with the right deal no one is truelly untouchable.

3. Well trades technically, but thats for the express purpose of attempting to improve the Raptors opportunities in the draft.

4. First round exit

5. No. In its own twisted way, 2011/12 was my favorite season to watch in the last 6 years. If the Raptors won a game you got to see your favorite team win, when they lost a game it was all for the greater good (well I naively thought it was until Colangelo went about throwing that to the wind). It was a no lose situation as a fan.

I would argue CGRF, that a deal like that (depending on the player I would think) is also the hardest of hardcore pro-tanker dream trade.
                    Then I suppose I'm a 'tanker' and just didn't realize it... or have been in denial!

Comment

• 1. Do the Raptors need to start over and rebuild?

No. We've invested too much into deep contracts (DeRozan, Gay) to just give up on them and tear it down. We have a solid core of JV, Amir, Ross, Lowry and DeMar/Gay (assuming one of them is traded). I also think it would be in the best interest of the fans to not rebuild. Leiweke and Ujiri were brought in to create a winning culture. That doesn't have to be created immediately, but at the same time, there's a reason we got rid of BC.

2. What one player would you be unwilling to part with in a rebuild?

Definitely Jonas. Amir is a close second.

3. Is the next step for this team through trades, free agency or the draft?

Trades. Masai is a guru at finding holes in other teams' systems and weaseling out the most in them (see NY Knicks). Seeing as we're already over the cap and almost at the tax line, free agency is essentially cut off for 1-2 years. Masai does a great job in drafts as well, but to do great in drafts, we have to have good position. That doesn't seem likely, considering Masai has already come out and said tanking is not an option for this team. Plus, next year is tank-nation across the league.

4. What is the ceiling of the current team moving forward?

Either taking a first round series to 6 or 7 games, or a second round berth.

5. Would you be less inclined to watch a Raptors team next year that is rebuilding, again?

I watch the games anyways, so I wouldn't mind. Winning always feels better though.
                      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
                        his personal accomplishments, nba rings, mvps, rookie of the year, i dont think so
                        so gold starts keep him happy
                        i'm so confused :S

Comment

• Around #200 or so in this thread we were talking about Cleveland being in a better position than Toronto. They had done a proper rebuild by acquiring draft picks, tons of young players, and all the while maintaining strong cap flexibility.

Many people thought eww eww Cleveland is just as bad as we are and could be years away from being competitive.

Well, fast forward just 2 months later and we're witnessing the fruits of that flexibility. Earl Clark, Jarrett Jack, and now Andrew Bynum, to say nothing of 4 players in the draft. I'm not going to pass judgment on whether or not I agree with the moves specifically (personally not a huge fan of any of those players) but look what they've been able to do in the past few weeks makes me wish Toronto will get there one day as well, in terms of the flexibility.

I think Masai is working towards it but there's just too much bloat leftover from Colangelo's reign of terror. Hopefully, we'll get there soon.
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

• Fruits! Jack, Clark, Andrew my-knees-can't-hold-up-to-bowling Bynum! Wow! Damn BC!

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                              Around #200 or so in this thread we were talking about Cleveland being in a better position than Toronto. They had done a proper rebuild by acquiring draft picks, tons of young players, and all the while maintaining strong cap flexibility.

Many people thought eww eww Cleveland is just as bad as we are and could be years away from being competitive.

Well, fast forward just 2 months later and we're witnessing the fruits of that flexibility. Earl Clark, Jarrett Jack, and now Andrew Bynum, to say nothing of 4 players in the draft. I'm not going to pass judgment on whether or not I agree with the moves specifically (personally not a huge fan of any of those players) but look what they've been able to do in the past few weeks makes me wish Toronto will get there one day as well, in terms of the flexibility.

I think Masai is working towards it but there's just too much bloat leftover from Colangelo's reign of terror. Hopefully, we'll get there soon.
                              I'm actually looking forward to seeing that train wreck explode. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Raptors end up a higher seed than Cleveland. It doesn't feel like they've put much thought into that roster. It's just a mish-mash of random parts. The Bynum signing was the icing on the cake. Very Colangelo-esque

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                I'm actually looking forward to seeing that train wreck explode. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Raptors end up a higher seed than Cleveland. It doesn't feel like they've put much thought into that roster. It's just a mish-mash of random parts. The Bynum signing was the icing on the cake. Very Colangelo-esque
                                No quite BC-ey.

There is only $6M and one year guaranteed. Year 2 is a team option.

Colangelo would have given him 4 years and $48M.

It is the epitome of a low risk, high reward deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X