Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuild or Re-tool? (thread merge in post #358)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the trade thread? Couldn't find it so I'm posting this here instead:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...n-Better-Offer

How about we get involved and gang bang this trade by throwing in DD to the Clippers since they are waiting for a "better offer" than Afflolo. Bledsoe to Orlando, Aflollo to Toronto. For Toronto it gives us a better shooter (though last years numbers don't show it), and a much better defender. Plus Afflolo doesn't need the ball in his hands to be affective so it will free up shots for JV. Thoughts?

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
      Keep for Sure:

- Amir Johnson
      - Quincy Acy
      - Kyle Lowry
      - Landry Fields
      - Jonas Valanciunas

Peresonaly, I would start all of them except Acy.

Meh, keep or trade:

- DeMar DeRozan
      - Rudy Gay
      - Terrence Ross

Two overpaid, below average wings. One with at least some potential. Keep if you can't upgrade, but this is where we really need the upgrade, as has been the case for a long time. Would start Fields over all of them.

The rest of the team is irrelevant, and hopefully none of them playing significant minutes next year. Maybe Gray, as a big body.
      Gay is not a below average wing.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Two overpaid, below average wings. One with at least some potential. Keep if you can't upgrade, but this is where we really need the upgrade, as has been the case for a long time. Would start Fields over all of them.
        How do DD and Gay get labeled "below average" and "overpaid" and Landry Fields gets started without a complaint? Lol

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          How do DD and Gay get labeled "below average" and "overpaid" and Landry Fields gets started without a complaint? Lol
          For one, they both have WP48 below .100, while Fields doesn't. But, you are welcome to a different opinion, I was expressing mine.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            Gay is not a below average wing.
            Yes, he is.

http://www.thenbageek.com/players/150-rudy-gay

Comment

• Oh god! Number aren't everything. League wide his not known as a below average wing.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Oh god! Number aren't everything. League wide his not known as a below average wing.
                Numbers aren't everything, but they're something. They show that best efforts to measure his performance show him to be bellow average.

Comment

Numbers aren't everything, but they're something. They show that best efforts to measure his performance show him to be bellow average.
                  Even if the numbers aren't unequivocally negative, I think it's more rational to look at his impact on the teams he's been a part of. Despite his recognized talent as a SF, you can't really make an argument that he's had a huge impact one way or the other on any of those teams.

That in itself is a problem, and one that the Raptors will need to monitor closely in the early going next season. If all these things that people are talking about now in rosy terms (new eyes, added weight, desire to be the alpha dog) result in a big change in his impact on wins/losses, then maybe he's a worthwhile asset to keep around as Vanciunas and others develop. If not, then his $16M salary will look pretty ugly to a rebuilding GM, and I can't imagine him finishing his current contract in Toronto.
                  Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    I think I have talked myself in to a total rebuild on some conditions.

1) you need to get a top 5 pick this year and one more,
                    2) you need to get at least two extra 2014 picks (with own 3),
                    3) you need to get back 1-2 players in the mold of Fields or Amir (< 25 years old proven role players that are highly efficient players).
                    4) you have extra cap space for 2014-15 season to be a facilitator in deals or take on salary for tax fearing teams (for a price).

It is not very often a team enters in to a rebuild with the hardest piece already in place - that of course being the C and JV.
                    I would set the following conditions for a rebuild:

1.) One 30-or-better pick in 2013, minimum
                    2.) Two first-round picks in 2014 plus our own, or our own plus one likely lottery pick (e.g. a Charlotte or a Phoenix or the like)
                    3.) Cap space in 2015-16 to begin signing free agents (our heavy drafting period should be 2013/2014)
                    4.) Ed Davis back somehow

The first can likely be done with cash. The second will probably mean giving up, at a minimum, two of Gay, DeMar, Lowry and Ross. The third should be easy to manage. The fourth: well, I can dream, right?

Comment

• Can I go back to Monte? What if he was brought here strictly to play the point guard position?

As far as value, that's a tough debate to have without including impact in the locker room. Just looking at numbers flat is a misnomer. Personally, I have Demar and Gay as highly valuable players, and Landry a trade-able asset, but that's just opinion. I don't have enough information, and I would like the time to see if LF gets his shot back.

Let's all be honest, the Raps suck. Everyone can be had for the right price. But if the goal is a title who has a higher value staying? How much will dramatic player turnover impact interest from free agents? What players fit the playing philosophy that the team wants to develop? How many years can the general public wait on a rebuild? What would be the locker room impact of the player leaving? Sort of have to answer all those questions before you can figure out who would be best to ship out. Hopefully we will figure out what the Raptors philosophy is in the near future.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                        Let's all be honest, the Raps suck. Everyone can be had for the right price.
                        I wouldn't give up JV for any player that could currently be had.
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                          I wouldn't give up JV for any player that could currently be had.
                          Wow. Fair enough, I can guess your rationale, but still a wow.

Comment

Wow. Fair enough, I can guess your rationale, but still a wow.
                            Monte < DD
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Monte < DD
                              Yo, I just asked if Monte would make a legit option at pg not sg.

Comment

Yo, I just asked if Monte would make a legit option at pg not sg.
                                Ok Lowry > Monte
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X