Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuild or Re-tool? (thread merge in post #358)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    My understanding is NBA scouts generally earn between $100,000 and $200,000 a year. Spending $1,000,000 a year per scout is foolish in my opinion and will affect the team's profitability.
    Does scout salary affect the cap? I'm not sure.

I agree that 1 mil is a massive number, but with new ownership, I think it could fit in without any massive criticisms.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
      My understanding is NBA scouts generally earn between $100,000 and $200,000 a year. Spending $1,000,000 a year per scout is foolish in my opinion and will affect the team's profitability.
      The point is to only pay the big bucks to those scouts who have an outstanding record of success at identifying the good players. Most teams throw a lot more than 2-3 million a year on wasted picks, bad trades etc. If a team could increase their success rate on judging and evaluating players be even 30%, and extra 2 million a year would be nothing. You could wind up drafting guys not simply because they are a good fit on your team, but because they can become valuable trade chips so you can get those guys you need on your roster, with your coach and your style of play.

Comment

• Only players salaries affect the salary cap.

Comment

• LateBoomer wrote: View Post
          l hope the new GM addresses this.
          Tanking is very risky with no guaranteed rewards, but a team can always benefit from very good scouts.
          That statement can be used towards any and every form of team building though.

Comment

• Craiger wrote: View Post
            That statement can be used towards any and every form of team building though.
            I think that is the point though.

Many describe tanking as can't miss route to obtaining franchise talent and becoming a contender. OKC is most definitely the exception and not the norm.

It is not a guarantee to anything except a lot of losing in the short term.

Specific to the Raptors they are in a position to go in multiple directions and each have their own risks and rewards but nothing is guaranteed as you say.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I think that is the point though.

Many describe tanking as can't miss route to obtaining franchise talent and becoming a contender. OKC is most definitely the exception and not the norm.

It is not a guarantee to anything except a lot of losing in the short term.

Specific to the Raptors they are in a position to go in multiple directions and each have their own risks and rewards but nothing is guaranteed as you say.
              Who says that? When has anyone ever said tanking is can't miss or guaranteed?

Comment

Who says that? When has anyone ever said tanking is can't miss or guaranteed?
                Read the threads.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Read the threads.
                  Fully:

I'm not saying that the tank strategy comes with a guarantee of success. It doesn't.
                  Chris:

you create your own lottery luck
                  NoBan:

the blow it up option is the most realistic path to get there
                  the best way to get a championship level roster is to tank and draft well
                  ebrain (errr ebrian)

I'm not saying what the Celtics did can work for everyone,

But not once in this thread did I read someone say tanking is 'guaranteed' or 'sure fire'.

The closest thing I read to that was d749 say

1 more bad year for 10 great years, or a mediocre year and 5 more to come before heading back to the lottery.
                  in reference to if the Raps won the draft and got Wiggins.

Maybe there are some people, somewhere, who at sometime made the argument that tanking is guaranteed. But there are probably other people who say the same thing about signing a free agent or making a trade to.

Lets not pretend the argument is 'guaranteed' vs 'not guarnateed'. Its what does one think is the best route for success.

Comment

Fully:

Chris:

NoBan:

ebrain (errr ebrian)

But not once in this thread did I read someone say tanking is 'guaranteed' or 'sure fire'.

The closest thing I read to that was d749 say

in reference to if the Raps won the draft and got Wiggins.

Maybe there are some people, somewhere, who at sometime made the argument that tanking is guaranteed. But there are probably other people who say the same thing about signing a free agent or making a trade to.

Lets not pretend the argument is 'guaranteed' vs 'not guarnateed'. Its what does one think is the best route for success.

Guarantee was the wrong word choice. However, read the full posts of many of those quotes (and others) and you get the impression that tanking is the best road to success when there are countless teams (both winning and losing teams) that show otherwise. The only thing tanking does is guarantee losing in the near term and push the hope for a competitive future further down the road.

Comment

• Tunnel Vision

Craiger wrote: View Post
                      Fully:
                      You're right, no one is saying that but what some frequent posters are suggesting is that tanking is the only way to get there. Do they explicitly say that? Probably not but reading their words one only can come to that conclusion as all other suggestions are shot down.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      The only thing tanking does is guarantee losing in the near term
                      I can guarantee you that it also doesn't help the team's reputation across the league as being a loser franchise that no one wants to play for.

Comment

• Considering everything that's going on(new GM, probably new management team, probably new Coach etc) and considering the 2014 draft(deep in talent), this is a good time to tank. Yes it doesn't guarantee a franchise player but finishing as low as possible guarantees a good(if not great) pick and helps create financial flexibility. The team as it's composed now may not appeal to the GM anyway(not his team), so might as well strip it down, create some cap space and accumulate picks as much as possible. We've waited this long anyway, might as well wait another year. It'll be worth it.

If any year is a good year to tank, this is.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• How do you propose they "tank"? What's your blueprint?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                            How do you propose they "tank"? What's your blueprint?
                            I don't mean to disregard your question AT ALL but having gone through this with another member before, I'm sincerely sorry but I prefer not to get into this.

I know it's not satisfying enough but clearing up about 20 mil is definitely possible. Again I'm EXTREMELY SORRY.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                              I don't mean to disregard your question AT ALL but having gone through this with another member before, I'm sincerely sorry but I prefer not to get into this.

I know it's not satisfying enough but clearing up about 20 mil is definitely possible. Again I'm EXTREMELY SORRY.
                              Maybe a different slant on the topic: what happens if through any of various reasons the raptors never get desired franchise player?

Looking though last 10 drafts, in the top5 there really is only 1 franchise altering talent per year.

Comment

• Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post

I ask the question because what's been said in here only covers if everything goes right, which I assure you will not happen. See Matt's post above.

So what is your backup plan? Gut and tank again and again until you hit the jackpot?

Also, I'm unsure how I'm supposed to interpret the words entirely capitalized. Are you simply emphasizing them because you feel I would overlook them or is it sarcasm or something else?

Comment

Working...
                                X