Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuild or Re-tool? (thread merge in post #358)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Most definitely not.

You keep Ross and JV and see what the rest fetches.

If Bargnani can yield 3 draft picks and one useful player then surely DD/Gay/Lowry can return something of value.
    I don't understand this "keep Ross" mantra that keeps going around. Wtf has he proven at the NBA level? The guy sucks.

DeMar is only a year older and is a far superior player. Nothing wrong with keeping his 9M on the books and having him be a part of the core going forwards.

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post
      I don't understand this "keep Ross" mantra that keeps going around. Wtf has he proven at the NBA level? The guy sucks.

DeMar is only a year older and is a far superior player. Nothing wrong with keeping his 9M on the books and having him be a part of the core going forwards.
      Really now. He is exactly the type you want to keep in the scenario mentioned. A first year, potential undetermined, low cost, low risk player who did not get the best developmental handling imo in his first year. You will concede that heis crazy athletic, right? Andhe is a bit under weight? I dont believe the scout amongst us scribblers can tell after his 1 season how he turns out as a NBA player. Patience please.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
        I don't think I've read a single poster who wants to give away our talent.
        You haven't read any cap dump posts? They're a dime a dozen.

Comment

• I'm all for tanking and it's not specifically for Wiggins. A guy like Jabari Parker or Randle would have been the top pick in many of the past drafts.

The top end talent in this draft is ridiculous. If pretty much everyone declares like they think they will you're talking a chance to get a shot at 5, maybe 6 franchise talents.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Haven't u heard? Tanking is bad karma....just use "rebuilding" as the term and all will be well....less connotation with the dark side.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
              I'm all for tanking and it's not specifically for Wiggins. A guy like Jabari Parker or Randle would have been the top pick in many of the past drafts.

The top end talent in this draft is ridiculous. If pretty much everyone declares like they think they will you're talking a chance to get a shot at 5, maybe 6 franchise talents.
              I gave you a thumbs up but only if the pieces that would create more Ws returned fair and real value.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I gave you a thumbs up but only if the pieces that would create more Ws returned fair and real value.
                What do you mean?
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• From what I've read this draft is top heavy and deep. I would try to acquire a pick in 2014. I know teams are being very tight with trading any 2014 picks, but what teams that have multiple picks in 2014? For instance Charlotte owns Detroit's 2014 pick (top 8 protected). What sort of package do you think would bring that pick to us?

Right now I'm hearing this draft is 8 deep for All-Star talent. If Raptors could get in there at, lets say 10-12 with Detroit's, perhaps we could find that missing piece.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                    What do you mean?
                    I agree with what you are saying but I'm not up for trading DD/Lowry/Gay just for cap space. Proven young talent and 1st round picks need to be coming back.

Comment

• I was going to make a new thread but essentially this is the same old drivel on rebuild vs. retool so here we are.

Video after Novak press conference:

A couple of responses from Ujiri stand out. Now only a fool (yes, that is me) would try to garner any meaning from his answers - the man should work for Brinks given the security of his vault. The thing is, and this is why I am really impressed with Ujiri right now despite the utter frustration, one could interpret his comments any way.

6:20: "Take it as it comes. Owe it to see what we have on our team instead of doing something stupid, you know, like, quickly. If something reasonable comes our way and will help Raptors then we'll do it but other than this, this is our team and we'll keep plugging away."

Retool says: We are good enough to compete so lets go compete.

Rebuild says: Ideally we are just waiting to see where other teams draft picks are likely to fall. However, if another team makes an incredible offer we'll just take it now.

12:50: "For me patience is the key. We all have to be patient. We have a good window for a couple of years here. Sometimes you can't just react."

Retool says: We've got Amir, Rudy, and Kyle in their prime. DD entering his. JV developing and making big strides. Ross is a talent just waiting to be tapped. There are solid role players in Hansbrough and Novak. Landry has the hottest wife to be ever. We all good.

Rebuild says: That window I'm talking about is not for our current guys outside the players on rookie deals. We have 3 years before we have to extend Jonas. In those three years we have to acquire as much talent as we can. Right now other GMs trying to do non-consensual back door violations on me. I'm going to wait until the season unfolds and GMs like Detroit, Charlotte, or Cleveland get desperate with their new coaches and owners demanding post season appearances to give me a proposal that makes me sit back, smile, and say, "Throw in some cash and we're done." Listen, I got 3 picks, one first rounder!, for Bargnani. Imagine what I can do as the February trade deadline approaches with DeRozan, Gay, and Lowry.

Comment

• Hurricane_Herm wrote: View Post
                        From what I've read this draft is top heavy and deep. I would try to acquire a pick in 2014. I know teams are being very tight with trading any 2014 picks, but what teams that have multiple picks in 2014? For instance Charlotte owns Detroit's 2014 pick (top 8 protected). What sort of package do you think would bring that pick to us?

Right now I'm hearing this draft is 8 deep for All-Star talent. If Raptors could get in there at, lets say 10-12 with Detroit's, perhaps we could find that missing piece.
                        Here is the status with draft picks
                        http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...rafts/detailed

Teams with multiple picks:

Charlotte: possibly 3, possibly none

Boston: 2

Chicago: possibly 2

Cleveland: Possibly 2

Miami: possibly 2, most likely 1

Orlando: 2

Phoenix: Possibly 2

Philadelphia: possibly 2, possibly none

Utah: 2

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post

Ross has played 1200 NBA minutes, possesses talent, has never been given a real opportunity, and is on a rookie deal for 3 more years.

Ross will make about $2M less over the next 3 seasons than DeRozan will earn next year alone.

Comment

• I want to see the Raptors use Ross primarily as a spot up 3 shooter ala MoPete. I think that's his game.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Ross is so athletic and explosive that using him as just a spot up shooter would be a shame. He needs to work on his handles. Can't believe we have two shooting guards that can't dribble. Wtf happened to learning the basics?

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                                Ross is so athletic and explosive that using him as just a spot up shooter would be a shame. He needs to work on his handles. Can't believe we have two shooting guards that can't dribble. Wtf happened to learning the basics?
                                I seem to recall seeing lots of video of him dribbling through defenders. I would say his handles are significantly better than Derozan's.

Comment

Working...
                                X