Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Greg Oden. Anyone?

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Greg Oden. Anyone?

I dont think posters will really take my post seriously, but, nothing really much to talk about since its the off-season.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...ks-Ready-To-Go

Would you be willing to overpay to get Oden as JV's backup?

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh....I definitely would not overpay to get him. Would I have interest if he was open to coming to Toronto? Sure. But again, not if it means overpaying. He really has no power to dictate terms. He'll probably play for a cheap deal somewhere he can be sure to get minutes.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a reason you think the Raptors would have to "overpay" him? Do you think he's going to command a big price on the open market or are you just assuming that with teams like Miami reportedly in the mix - the only way he would come to Toronto is if they offer him so much money that he can't say no?

To answer your question though, I wouldn't want to bring him to Toronto for anything more than $4 million over 2 years or so, and even that feels high. I'm actually a big fan of Oden personally and would love to see him have NBA success - you just flat out can't expect him to stay healthy.

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No... I just can't see him being healthy.

Post Thanks / Like

I would pick him up and limit him to being the third big at 20 minutes until we see how he responds. JV and Amir can both play the 4 if necessary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Is there a reason you think the Raptors would have to "overpay" him? Do you think he's going to command a big price on the open market or are you just assuming that with teams like Miami reportedly in the mix - the only way he would come to Toronto is if they offer him so much money that he can't say no?

To answer your question though, I wouldn't want to bring him to Toronto for anything more than $4 million over 2 years or so, and even that feels high. I'm actually a big fan of Oden personally and would love to see him have NBA success - you just flat out can't expect him to stay healthy.
    I think he might, specially if its going around that among the teams that are most interested are the Heat and the Cavs.

I think there is still a mystery that surrounds Oden, of what he can actually do when given a clean bill of health. 3 years of rehabbing and conditioning may have done the trick. $2mil per year probably wont do it, of course he'd also want to cover his back incase he gets injured again. is the MLE $5 mil? That would probably do it. In case he gets injured again, at least $5 mil is not that big of a hit but if he does pan out, you potentially have the most promising frontcourt since Duncan and Robinson.
    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Fri May 17th, 2013 at 04:40 PM.

7. Like footarez liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Let Phoenix do what they do for Oden. Want no part of him playing for Toronto, but I hope he gets 2 or 3 productive years in the league.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This I would do actually because its gamble with a huge payoff if he stays healthy same goes for wherever Bynum ends up next season. Its not like having Oden instead of Gray is a loss to the team.

JV/Oden
    ?/Amir/Acy

thats good Big rotation.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for it, as long as we don't overpay. He's actually done well when he has played. Barring any further injury, I think he could be somewhat of an asset.

However, out of all the mentioned teams, I see him going to Miami. They desperately need a decent center...he'll get ample opportunity there.
    Last edited by isaacthompson; Fri May 17th, 2013 at 05:40 PM.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to turn into Brandon Roy all over again.

Everyone gets all excited about his return, only to be disappointed when he bows out after 30 games.

I wouldn't touch Oden for anything more than a $10 contract.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    I think he might, specially if its going around that among the teams that are most interested are the Heat and the Cavs.

I think there is still a mystery that surrounds Oden, of what he can actually do when given a clean bill of health. 3 years of rehabbing and conditioning may have done the trick. $2mil per year probably wont do it, of course he'd also want to cover his back incase he gets injured again. is the MLE $5 mil? That would probably do it. In case he gets injured again, at least $5 mil is not that big of a hit but if he does pan out, you potentially have the most promising backcourt since Duncan and Robinson.
    I think you mean Frontcourt...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I believe he meant Inactive list...

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    I believe he meant Inactive list...
    lol cept only Oden would be inactive

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    hahaha thanks! corrected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    This is going to turn into Brandon Roy all over again.

Everyone gets all excited about his return, only to be disappointed when he bows out after 30 games.

I wouldn't touch Oden for anything more than a $10 contract.
    Could be. But the big difference tho is Roy came back after a year, Oden's been on the mend for 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

If Oden is looking for a young, up-and-coming team, where he wouldn't need to be relied upon to be the #1 C who logs heavy minutes, then Toronto could be a good fit for him. Playing behind Valanciunas, ideally as the 4th big (VJ, starting PF, Amir, Oden), would allow Oden to make an impact in limited minutes. I just wouldn't want to invest heavily in him (non-guaranteed contract beyond first season?), given his injury history.

Toronto
    - I don't see them willing to invest in such a risk/reward type player, considering they already have Valanciunas and likely Gray (player option) at C, and are so far over the cap already.
    - would likely take more money than he's worth, since he'll probably be contacted by several young teams and several contenders, all looking for cheap bang-for-your-buck

Oden
    - if he's going to be a role player, he'll likely look for either the biggest offer (ie: bidding war) or a contender (ie: Miami/OKC/etc..)

VERDICT
    - doubtful that either side has much interest

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    Could be. But the big difference tho is Roy came back after a year, Oden's been on the mend for 3 years.
    Pretty sure he had major surgery just a little over a year ago.
    This from Wikipedia -

Quote Wikipedia wrote:
    -On December 9, 2011, the Trail Blazers announced that Oden had suffered an unspecified "setback" that left them less optimistic about his ability to play in the 2011–2012 season.

-On February 3, 2012, Oden underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.

-On February 20, 2012, Oden was scheduled for a procedure on his left knee similar to the procedure he underwent 17 days earlier. However, during the operation, further damage to the articular cartilage was discovered, and Oden underwent his third micro-fracture surgery.
    While its not uncommon to come back from a single Arthroscopic or Micro-fracture surgery, albeit usually at a fraction of the player, Oden would be coming back from his third Micro-fracture surgery and his fifth total on his knee. That's pretty much unheard of.

While I wish the guy ALL the luck in the world, I'd rather pay a 41 year old Shaq to come out of retirement, as he's probably got a better chance of actually playing some games (I exaggerate clearly, but you get my point. Lol)
    Last edited by Joey; Fri May 17th, 2013 at 06:02 PM.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with Gray over Oden. Aaron is a consistent player, almost never injured. We know what we are getting. Durability is undervalued in the NBA. As an example, DeRozan will likely playing years after Curry's ankles have given out on him.

20. Like Joey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It would take me one positive medical report for me to go with Oden over Gray. Gray isn't even in the same universe, let alone ballpark when you start talking talent. Oden is a risk worth taking if he's coming cheap. If he wants something ludicrous like the MLE then no thank you.

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    Is there a reason you think the Raptors would have to "overpay" him?
    "Overpay" is all perception, but pay more than other teams isn't: Miami or Toronto? Championships or mediocrity?

I'm not sure what the poster was thinking but if it was along the lines of the Raptors having to out spend everybody else then I think he was on the right track.

Post Thanks / Like

6 years after being drafted and the incredibly unfortunate circumstances in which he has hardly played at all, I associate Oden and the Raptors roster in 2013-14 with the words "whim and prayer."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information