Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ACC Not A Feasible Site to Host the All-Star Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ACC Not A Feasible Site to Host the All-Star Game?

Albeit Dallas' new football stadium is a masterpiece when it comes to sports arenas/stadiums, but Toronto could easily host the All-Star game and use the Rogers Centre dome is size was the factor on why we would never be able to host the event. I think if Stern and the NBA are trying to promote the game world wide, then why not take the opportunity to let Toronto host and show the world that we're no different than then metropolis' of Chicago, New York, Boston, etc.

Someone was asking me Sunday night about the feasibility of an all-star game in Toronto.

Simple answer?

No.

Yes, the city’s great and has lots of hotel space and convention floor space and clubs and restaurants and there’d be every chance it’d be warmer there than it was in Dallas.

The issue is the Air Canada Centre.

It’s a good building, with good seats for fans in a nice downtown location and most things work well in it.

But it’s too small. No back-of-house space.

Heck, there aren’t even enough dressing rooms for the folks who sing and dance, let alone all the stuff they bring with.

Honestly, the scope of this all-star thing is huge; people, props, stuffed animals, more people and props. The Air Canada Centre, for all its charms, simply doesn’t have the facilities to handle everything smoothly.

Heck, when the Raptors get into the playoffs, they have to feed the media in a hallway – single tables stretched out along a wall – because the joint can’t handle the extra people.

I can’t even guess what it’d be like with an all-star game and, if they apply, I bet the league would have some concerns.

Sorry.

Besides, we keep hearing that after Los Angeles next year, the new arena in Orlando might be a host and so, too, might New Orleans be so you could be looking 2014 at the earliest anyway.

Maybe Maple Leaf Sports applies and gets it for a long-off year and, who knows, maybe they do the Saturday at the ACC and the game at the dome but I’d be surprised.
    Source - Click here

I was very disappointed when I read that in Dough Smith's article. There HAS to be a way to field an all-star game in Toronto, there just HAS to be. It's too great of a city not to, and would be the ultimate revelation to all the athletes and celebrities who think Toronto is just a frozen post because it's in Canada.
    http://facebook.com/DiseaseMusic

Comment

Simple solution. Rogers Center. Bite the bullet and get it done for one night only. The first Raptors game I ever saw was played there. Christie hit a game winning three over the lowly Nuggets. It was great.

Comment

Those who have never organized an event have zero concept on how it might be done.

The ACC, Rogers Center, Toronto Convention Center, Hotel Convention Center (across the street) provide all the facilities to host the biggest events with the most media anywhere. They are all within easy, safe walking distance, a much better set-up than in Dallas. (Or most NBA cities)

Unlike the playoffs - which are a game - not day long events over a weekend - it is possible to use multiple facilities to properly organize the event.

Sorry Doug - I wouldn't let you organize a wedding (and I doubt your wife would either)
        The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

2012 East vs. West Air Canada Centre Toronto, ON TBD
          Wikipedia

Here's another thought. If New Orleans and Phoenix could handle it then so can the city of Toronto.

Comment

We don't need some US talking head to say nice things about Toronto on TNT/ABC/ESPN etc. to placate some misplaced inferiority complex people have up here.
            Sheesh... why do people constantly need acceptance/approval from south of the border as some type of Sally Field "You like me, you really like me" moment?!

Oh BTW it's Centre... (pet peeve)

Comment

...A Canadian writer wrote the article.

Comment

Yeah I know it's from Doug Smith's Blog.
                While I disagree with his assessment, my comments were not referring to whether the ACC could handle it or not... but rather on the comments that we needed to host it to...

"... would be the ultimate revelation to all the athletes and celebrities who think Toronto is just a frozen post because it's in Canada."

...then why not take the opportunity to let Toronto host and show the world that we're no different than then metropolis' of Chicago, New York, Boston, etc.

I have no problem with the concept of showing off Toronto to the world. But why must everything be about informing or educating the Americans so we're "accepted/recognized".

Comment

was just talking to a fellow season ticket holder today....apparently the raptors have passed on hosting the all start weekend until the MLSE condos are done. After they are complete, expect a game in toronto

Comment

photoman wrote: View Post

Oh BTW it's Centre... (pet peeve)
                    I heard it was actually Dome. And you wouldn't believe how you're actually supposed to pronounce "rogers."

Comment

big red wrote: View Post
                      I heard it was actually Dome. And you wouldn't believe how you're actually supposed to pronounce "rogers."
                      ???

Comment

Sarcasm.

Comment

Just making light of the fact that "Rogers Centre" is such an underwhelming name for such a unique example of civil engineering. SkyDome is what I called it when it opened, and SkyDome is what I will always call it.

Comment

Capitalism. Making money is more interesting than some sign on a building that is taking up space.
                            Last edited by Apollo; Wed Feb 17, 2010, 12:43 PM.

Comment

big red wrote: View Post
                              Just making light of the fact that "Rogers Centre" is such an underwhelming name for such a unique example of civil engineering. SkyDome is what I called it when it opened, and SkyDome is what I will always call it.

Make this man the Mayor!
                              When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Working...
                              X