View Poll Results: Should the Raptors change their name?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 30.65%
  • No

43 69.35%
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Leiweke said today raptors will go through a rebranding project. Should they decide to change the name, which many believe will happen because we're named after a movie. What would you like it to be changed to and why?
    Or
    If they don't change the name, how would you like te logo and jerseys changed?

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Toronto Huskies. Have a little tradition. Most people for dont know the first basketball game was played by the Toronto Huskies and New York Knicks. Also bring the blue and white just like every other Toronto team except FC(but who really cares about them?).

Raptors Republic Rookie RAPTORNATION's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Find a way to incorporate the old colors in new jerseys but without the dinosaur. I'm fine with the teams name

Post Thanks / Like

We've already decided on the Toronto Maple Syrup
    @jerboat

5. Like heinz57, Soft Euro, bounty, wallz, thead liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I should probably take time to think about this first but has any team in the modern era (ie not the St Pats to Maple Leafs) changed their name drastically without moving cities? Supersonics to sonics....not much. Oh wait...Pelicans. There you go. Didn't have to go too far back. Welcome to your Canada Huskies. At least Huskies still have claws. I don't have to rebrand.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    We've already decided on the Toronto Maple Syrup
    It'll be a golden era for sports headline writers. I look forward to such puns as 'The Syrups stick it to the Knicks,' 'Syrup waffling on draft choices,' 'Opening day tickets selling like hot cakes,' 'Syrup all tapped out,' 'Maple Syrup try to bottle winning formula,' etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Toronto Huskies or nothing

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the name. Raptors are fuckin badass, our claw logo is fuckin badass, why change it just because it's origins are a bit ingenious?

Wrigley Field is named after a gum company, Lakers are named after the geographical zone surrounding Minnesota and the Jazz play in Utah.
    Last edited by Letter N; Tue May 21st, 2013 at 01:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see us changing from the Raptors, and not for the Huskies, to me a team that played 1 season in the 40's has no history, it was just a flash in the pan, had a losing season and did nothing of note for the sport.

We got rid of the old logo and brought in the claws, things are fine, it is teh marketing that needs a revamp.

11. Like Letter N liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Give me some ideas for the name of the site so I can reserve the domain.

Post Thanks / Like

nope. time to whitewash this bitch. get rid of everything that will remind people of all those years of disappointment. raptors are yesterday. the maple syrup are the future.
    @jerboat

14. Like japetas liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just leave it. The team's name is so bad it's good. Plus it totally kills my idea of a raptor tattoo I plan on getting of their old logo but instead of a basketball the raptor will be holding Vince Carter's head.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

kennelclub.com

bitchinheat.com

Kninehoops.com

HuskiesHardwood.com

ballonaleash.com

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    nope. time to whitewash this bitch. get rid of everything that will remind people of all those years of disappointment. raptors are yesterday. the maple syrup are the future.
    Last edited by Letter N; Tue May 21st, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

well toronto has 2 names
    hog town and little york for those who know the history of the city
    but huskies i like

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have any idea how long this re-branding should take? Like is Leiweke expecting changes by the start of next season?

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re-posting something I wrote from the 'BC is out' thread.....

It's hard to come up with something to represent all of Canada. They can't use Maple Leaf (and every sports fan who follow hockey outside of Toronto would never be able to cheer for them). Naming them something really obvious, like Moose, or Beavers, would really, I think, not get anyone that excited about them. They're not good sports teams names. There's a reason you don't see any major franchises in Canada sport those names. They're awful.

The Wolverine IS a very "Canadian" animal. They are more common in Canada than any other country, and perhaps the most unique predator in Canada. Most other animals in Canada make pretty dreadful sports symbols, or are not particularly unique.

-Birds? Ducks...Geese...Loons...Owls...Hawks (already taken)....really nothing special. Blue Jay is already taken.

-Mammals? Wolves too close to T'Wolves. Same goes for Huskies in terms of trying to create image...can you really make a logo that different from the Wolves. Coyotes not different enough or unique to Canada. Foxes...lame. Bears? Grizzlies fit well in Vancouver...sigh. Polar Bears are a nice symbol for the North...but I'm not sure it's the best way to brand the team, because anything too arctic-sounding just doesn't fit in basketball. Beavers? Again, see my "pussies" comment. Yes it's immature, but really, how mature are sports fans?

-Reptiles? What Reptiles? Same goes for amphibians. Naming Toronto the ____frogs or ___ lizards hardly seems right.

-Marine life? Might work if the team was on a coast...but naming them the Whales or some such just isn't right in Toronto.

-Insects? No name is better than Hornets, and that's taken.

-Plants??? Nothing is as much a symbol as the maple leaf. And that can't be used.

So I come back to Wolverines, and suggest that it presents a unique opportunity to rebrand the team. Again, they are a very "Canadian" animal. They also have the right character for a mascot, especially in a market that is somehow an afterthought in the NBA, since they are small opportunistic animals who are capable of taking down much larger ones. In addition, it has it's own colours since they're usually dark and gold/silver masked. So the team could maybe go with brown and gold jerseys? I think that would be pretty sweet.

The team has tried branding specifically for Canada with all this red nonsense, and putting maple leaves anywhere they can in images, logos, etc...I don't think they need a "Canadian image" as much as they need "an image Canada can get behind". For a country with an admitted inferiority complex with a passion for a gritty, somewhat violent game in Hockey, I honestly think choosing an animal/symbol like the Wolverine is a great place to start. Provide the national fanbase with a team that fits that style, which is possible building with a guy like Jonas, and a unique identity they feel fits them as the lone Canadian team fighting for it's place in the league.....

This started as a joke because of the X-Men character and how popular that movie was, as opposed to Jurassic park....

But the more I think of it, the more I want to see the Toronto Wolverines, with Brown and Gold colours. From animals and plants, I can't think of a better name. Again, a good symbol in terms of personality, and a good symbol to help create a new image.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue May 21st, 2013 at 01:55 PM.

21. Like TRX, footarez, Beagle liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The logo, name and jerseys are just fine. No need to change anything.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

23. Like RaptorsFan4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Toronto North.

True North Strong.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Give me some ideas for the name of the site so I can reserve the domain.
    Husky Republic might come off as a site for portly/chubby people. I can easily designate myself an admin there then.

26. Like TRX liked this post

Thread Information