View Poll Results: Should the Raptors change their name?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 30.65%
  • No

43 69.35%
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would vote against Wolverines for 2 reasons:

1. The last time we tried to bank in on movie success, it failed miserably.
    2. When I think of Wolverines, I think of Michigan. I would prefer a team name that doesn't already have a strong tie elsewhere.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

2. Like CalgaryRapsFan, Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I would vote against Wolverines for 2 reasons:

1. The last time we tried to bank in on movie success, it failed miserably.
    2. When I think of Wolverines, I think of Michigan. I would prefer a team name that doesn't already have a strong tie elsewhere.
    This I can somewhat agree with...It is the most challenging part of finding a new name though. It has to be something that isn't in or similar to something in the NBA.

As for the movie thing....I think the Wolverine as an animal stands alone pretty well. The character was named after the animal for a reason. We're talking a dog-sized weasel that Grizzly and Polar bears are afraid of. Seriously, it's a freakin awesome animal. The movie thing is just a coincidence. I don't think they should actually brand the image around the character at all...just the animal.

But really, I understand the Michigan thing...I just couldn't think of a name that isn't taken by somebody somewhere...Huskies is also taken by UConn and Washington (and I'm pretty sure many more). Bisons isn't associated to a successful team, but if you grew up in Toronto or the Niagara region, how can you not think of Buffalo Bisons minor league baseball? (And as has been said for both...Huskies is close to T'Wolves in image, and Bisons is maybe not dissimilar enough from Bulls)

Really, I've been thinking about it a lot. At this point, I'm trying really hard to think of an inanimate symbol (like the Towers....but considering we only have one tower, and it's a boring-ass name...) or something abstract. I can't even think of something abstract. The Toronto Blizzards? Yeah..that's going to help with the perception the rest of the league has. It's not even accurate as winters are really not bad in Toronto...The Toronto Shitty Mayors? That's accurate at least.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed May 22nd, 2013 at 01:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The Toronto Raptors rolls better off the tongue than the Toronto Wolverines in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    The Toronto Raptors rolls better off the tongue than the Toronto Wolverines in my opinion.
    I actually find it the other way around.

Raptors is more easily said. IT's a coarser, more abrupt word.

Wolverines is smooth...each syllable kind of leaks into the next. It's longer, but has a much nicer ring to it.

Obviously this is just personal opinion though.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How about the Ontario Onions? or Ontario Orangutans? Ontario Orcas? Ontario Ocelots? no, wait the Ontario Octopi? How about the Ontario Owls? Or the Great Lakers? The Toronto Great Lakers...that's it. We got Leiweke...Phil soon...why not call ourselves the Great Lakers? yawn...I'm bored today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    How about the Ontario Onions? or Ontario Orangutans? Ontario Orcas? Ontario Ocelots? no, wait the Ontario Octopi? How about the Ontario Owls? Or the Great Lakers? The Toronto Great Lakers...that's it. We got Leiweke...Phil soon...why not call ourselves the Great Lakers? yawn...I'm bored today.
    yeah, basically.

Honestly, I wish that Atlanta wasn't the Hawks, because then even with the name Raptors they can totally re-brand the image (raptor means bird of prey). So they could pick something like the hawk or the falcon as a logo without really changing much. The claw of a hawk/falcon/eagle isn't even a serious logo change.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The Toronto Loonies. I am of two faces when it comes to the logo on the jersey; maybe a Canadian loon on one side and a sketch of BryCo on the other?

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd leave the name alone. Just from a personal standpoint, I wanna see the Raptors turn it around and achieve something in the coming years, not this team with a different name. It's not that I'm a big fan of the name, but it is the name I have been cheering for since 95 or whatever, and I don't know, but if the name changes I wonder if I may feel like I'm cheering for a new team? Sorta like the Seattle/OKC situation for me. I was a big fan of the Sonics, but had a difficult time getting into the Thunder. Admittedly, I did jump on the OKC bandwagon eventually, but I didn't feel like I was cheering for the same organization in a different city early on. Of course, we aren't proposing moving the Raps out of Toronto, so it isn't a fair comparison, but I do have similar feelings about it. I'm sure I'd get over it if the name did get changed. I just want to be able to say at some point that the Raptors had some good clubs and were worth cheering for, and in a perfect world had won a championship or two. I don't want to be able to say the the Toronto Raptors pretty much sucked, but the Toronto Whatevers, they were pretty good. It's just a name, I know, same team either way.

Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why everyone names their teams by animal names? What about a name - Toronto People? lol
    (Sorry for poor English )

Raptors Republic Rookie robert parrish 00's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote japetas wrote: View Post
    Why everyone names their teams by animal names? What about a name - Toronto People? lol
    The Toronto Wiggins!

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how the heck "Raptors" was introduced in the initial discussion for this teams' name.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    I wonder how the heck "Raptors" was introduced in the initial discussion for this teams' name.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107290/?ref_=sr_1

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually think the "Raptors" is a great name. The problem is that we've branded the team with a velociraptor. Raptor means "bird of prey". It would be much easier for MLSE to change the mascot to a giant, evil looking bird. Kinda how Atlanta has for their hawks logo. It fits to the teams identity (hopefully)...aggressive, high flying, tactical, great eye sight (sorry Rudy). I love that the franchise stepped away from the Barney the dinosaur identity. I love that they didn't want to be like every other team in the city with blue and white colours. The red, black and white is proven somewhere in some study to be the most intimidating colour combination.

Things are on the up and up around here. And once this super team bullshit ends in a couple of seasons (fingers crossed with the destruction of this Miami cHeat) we can be a competitive force. Leiweke seems hell bent on getting us an all star game. Hopefully that gets us some US national exposure. When the snow bird Raptors will be a force!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote japetas wrote: View Post
    I assume the mascot would be like the Greendale Human Being?

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm torn. I like the name "Raptors" a lot, but at the same time I do feel like it needs to pertain more to our history.

I think Huskies is the way to go on this one. It sounds really good, especially if you imagine it in an announcer's voice.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolverine Republic. Hmm.... I'm not sure that would work.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Toronto Hangover
    Toronto Avengers
    Toronto Dark Knights
    Toronto Men of Steel
    Toronto Smurfs

Post Thanks / Like

I like how the Toronto Tigers sounds.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Toronto Hangover
    Toronto Avengers
    Toronto Dark Knights
    Toronto Men of Steel
    Toronto Smurfs
    I like them all, but how many of those could we incorporate a teal and black colour scheme?

Post Thanks / Like

The Huskies sounds like a hockey team. A Canadian one. Besides huskies are just smaller and more timid wolves. Pussy-wolves. We don't need pussy-wolves.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information