View Poll Results: Should the Raptors change their name?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 30.65%
  • No

43 69.35%
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Post Thanks / Like

I will be very disappointed if the team changes the name. Raptors is unique in the world of sporting names. If they want to be Canada's team, then they'll keep with the Red and White colour theme, but really this is all just window dressing for a bad team.

If they want to re-brand, start winning games. People in Canada aren't going to start being basketball fans to watch a mediocre (at best) team play. Become an integral part of Basketball Canada and the Steve Nash Youth program across the country. Every single child in the country should get some Raptors swag (even if its just the cheap towels with the logo) when they register for the SNY program in their community. They need to be a part of Canadians and not just the Toronto sports scene if they want to be Canada's team.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    I will be very disappointed if the team changes the name. Raptors is unique in the world of sporting names. If they want to be Canada's team, then they'll keep with the Red and White colour theme, but really this is all just window dressing for a bad team.

If they want to re-brand, start winning games. People in Canada aren't going to start being basketball fans to watch a mediocre (at best) team play. Become an integral part of Basketball Canada and the Steve Nash Youth program across the country. Every single child in the country should get some Raptors swag (even if its just the cheap towels with the logo) when they register for the SNY program in their community. They need to be a part of Canadians and not just the Toronto sports scene if they want to be Canada's team.
    I agree.

The initial reasons for choosing the Raptors name was beyond stupid, but 18 years later, it's grown on me.

Besides, nobody is going to all-of-sudden start watching this team because they have a new logo and uniforms. Like others have said, winning cures all.

If MLSE wants Raptors fan across the country, give them a real reason to watch.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Something like this is all they really need. I like that they got rid of the ugly basketball-bouncing dinosaur logo.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Something like this is all they really need. I like that they got rid of the ugly basketball-bouncing dinosaur logo.
    Holy shit that looks sick! If you just add more detail to the Raptor and make it look more vicious then this would be the perfect new logo and jersey designs
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

My Idea for the Toronto Huskies:

6. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

These look really sharp. Very impressed.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Someone needs to do the Toronto Wolverines. I would but i don't have my laptop with me
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tsangstagangsta wrote: View Post
    My Idea for the Toronto Huskies:

I used to be ok with the Huskies idea.....

-It's too similar to T'Wolves
    -Worse than WOlverines for doubling with college teams
    -No worthwhile history (the reason people frequently cite). One failed season is not history.

-AND most of all, I am absolutely against Huskies if it means bringing in a Blue and White jersey. I hate the idea of all teams sporting the same colours. That is so fucking unheard of in sports. Can we please have some distinction between our teams? Just because they all persistently suck/fail, doesn't mean they should all wear the same colours.

If you want the Raptors (or Huskies, or whoever they are) to be unique, and appeal to Canada, don't brand them the same way as the most hated sports team in Canada outside of Toronto.

*BTW I think the jersey/logo you slapped together is pretty awesome...Again, I just don't think it's the right direction for Toronto.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri May 24th, 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job dude! thats pretty awesome submit it to Sportsnet or something Huskies is the leading choice in the polls for the name. That logo is dope you have talent.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with whitemencan'tjump Wolverines ftw! If we're going to change it Wolverines or bust

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I'm with whitemencan'tjump Wolverines ftw! If we're going to change it Wolverines or bust
    I'd even be cool with Mammoths (I think @omgsomuchpotential's suggestion). They're extinct but at least they actually existed in Canada. They do not resemble any current team name/logo at all. They are an intriguing, powerful animal, and gigantic, so appropriate for a sport of giants.

Those are my 2 favorites...Wolverines and Mammoths

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm Mammoths is ok too. If we're going prehistoric ice age, lets go Sabre tooth tigers

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Take off the Canada flag and its great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    Take off the Canada flag and its great.
    I think everyone can get behind this. Canadian colours and images were never actually necessary. Lazy-ass marketing people. That's like the easiest answer to the "make this Canadian" statement...throw in some red and a maple leaf.

If they really want to make it Canada's team, what they really have to do is have a donut at Tim Horton's named after the Raptors (or any new team name). Might not be a bad idea to partner with Timmy Ho's on that for the 20th anniversary.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This idea is sick. I'd be fine with leaving the name if it means we're switching to these uniforms...
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

Shit I didn't know project 34 did a raps one, I love his stuff. I'd change the name itself but otherwise they're on point.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd prefer Raptors over Mammoths (slow and hairy), Huskies, or wolverines. Great job on the Husky uniform tho...that is impressive. I think the Raptor from the project34 site referenced above looks like a brontosaurus...or one of those slow plant eaters with the long necks, whatever they are called...not feeling that either. I actually like the clawed logo and the black and red uni's.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I seem to be in the minority but as nice as the actual design is I don't care for the colours at all.

All white and all black? Who are we, a black guy that recently got rich?

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    I seem to be in the minority but as nice as the actual design is I don't care for the colours at all.

All white and all black? Who are we, a black guy that recently got rich?
    You got a problem with Jay-Z?

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    You got a problem with Jay-Z?
    99 of them actually.

I'm also in the minority that doesn't care for the Nets uni's either. They're so plain. Let's have some colour, some pizzazz, come on everybody jazz hands!

22. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post

Thread Information